husband has lung cancer and he's an alcoholic

bkell
bkell Member Posts: 1

My husband is nearing the end of his chemotherapy, he has stage 4 small cell lung cancer. He is an alcoholic, he still smokes heavily and is drinking an entire bottle of rum every day. He says it helps with his pain and helps him to sleep. He sleeps all day and night. I'm so stressed out and depressed. I don't know what to do. I can't understand why he wouldn't do everything in his power to prolong his life for not only himself but for me and my children. It's like he's just given up. His last scan showed the tumors have shrunk significantly, shouldn't that give him a healthy attitude. I've been to a therapist but it really does not help. 

Comments

• z
    z Member Posts: 1,414 Member
    bkell

Hello as a recovering alcoholic i must tell you that unless he wants to quit nothing you do will stop him.  My recommendation is for you to take care of yourself and your health so you will be there for your children.  Could you attend some alnon meetings?  That would be where you could talk to others and get support for the same situation.  I wish you well. Lori