My PET/MRI experience

Options
Kaleena
Kaleena Member Posts: 2,088 Member
edited September 2014 in Uterine/Endometrial Cancer #1

My PET/MRI Experience

I just thought I would share my experience with this newest scanning procedure.  A PET/MRI.   I had this procedure done on Wednesday, September 3, 2014.    I was told that there are only 9 other machines in the US at the moment.

I was originally to get this done in February, but at the time the study was over and my insurance wouldn’t pay for it.   Then we I needed another PET scan in July, I had to get the same one that I did in February for a comparison.   Due to increase in my soft tissue mass and anvery slight increase in the SUV readings at both of the prior PET scans and a negative biopsy, I was ordered to get this new PET/MRI scan to see what is going on with that soft tissue mass.

This scan only uses the isotope for the PET portion of the scan.  There is no other radiation exposure (like you get with a CT).   The only bad thing is that the scanning process takes longer.  It took approximately 55 minutes to do a complete scan (Head to top of thighs).

What it is: As its name suggests, the PET/MRI scanner allows two different modalities to be performed on one machine simultaneously. This means that it combines the soft tissue contrast of the magnetic resonance imaging with the molecular information provided by positron emission tomography. However, performing the tests simultaneously – capturing metabolic activity and anatomy together – offers doctors a more precise and accurate assessment of disease, as well as an improved understanding of the physiologic process. The precision it offers cannot be emphasized enough. Because body parts are continually in motion, a separate PET and MRI scan of the same spot may produce slightly different images. When done simultaneously, the images are completely aligned, giving exceptional precision and image quality.

The Test:

After driving almost 3 hours to get there, we did get in a little early and was happy that they took me in within minutes of my arrival.   I was taken back to the room where they keep the isotopes.   The technician took my blood glucose (it was 80).    (***The PET scan may not a good test if  you are a diabetic due to false readings, etc.  There are special instructions, however, if you are diabetic.   One is that they would like your glucose levels to be below 180)    Then the tech put a pic line in he said in case they needed to access my veins in the second part of the test.    I was then given the isotope and he flushed the line and I was then sent to a room where I would lie down and watch TV for almost an hour.

A nurse came in and I was told to undress and get into a gown.  (you can keep your underwear on)    Anything metal has to come off.   I was then taken by a wheel chair – first to use the restroom and then to the scanning room.

The Scan:

Now I have had many many scans done from CT, PET, PET/CTl, MRIs, and others.   On this one, I layed down on the movable slat.  They put a pillow under my knees.   (so far, just like before).   Then they layed two panels over my body.  One at my chest area and the other abdomen and thigh area.   They snapped in place.  My arms were placed at my sides and also strapped in.  YIKES.  Wasn’t expecting that.   Then the tech put ear plugs in and cushion around my head.   Lastly, he put a mask over my face and snapped it in (sort of like a catcher’s mask).   I could feel myself starting to panic a little.   Then he gave me a little ball with a cord on it in case I needed him all I needed to do was squeeze it. 

Then the tech started the scan.  I went in head first – this is where I closed my eyes.   The tech asked me if my arms were ok because they were close to the sides of the scanner.   I did open my eyes to peek and the scanning wall was right in front of my face mask – closed my eyes immediately.    Once the scanning began, it was like the others.  Very loud noises and thumping.  With the table moving at various points.    Then the tech started with the breathing where you would take a deep breath, release your breath, then hold it.    This was a little harder to do than taking a breath and hold it.   But I got on after a few.    I would basically count to about 11 or 12 when the tech said you could take a breath.   Actually, this kept me calm and took my mind off the whole scanning process.   Next thing I knew it was over (55 minutes later).

I haven’t heard anything on my results yet.  The tech said maybe Friday.  He said the scanner took at least 5000 images.

In one way, I was glad to find out that they actually took images of my brain since I have been having problems with these headaches.  The tech indicated that it would show any types of tumors, etc. in the brain. So hopefully, I won’t have to get another scan of my brain.

Benefits of this scan

Why it is used: For patients with cancer, the PET/MRI can be used for diagnostics and staging. And because it can more accurately localize the tumor, it is ideal for surgical planning. It can also be used for cardiac imaging, neurodegenerative disease and psychological disorders. In addition, with the PET/MRI, patients are exposed to much lower levels of radiation than with the PET/CT. This not only benefits patients who have to undergo multiple scans, but also sensitive populations such as children.

The new scanner also helps improve the overall patient experience, requiring just one appointment for two modalities. During the testing itself, patients need minimal changes in positions between tests, which in turn, allows physicians to compare tests more easily and get information as accurately and quickly as possible. 

(excerpts from http://stonybrookmedicine.edu/imaging/pet-mri)  

Comments

• Abbycat2
    Abbycat2 Member Posts: 644 Member
    Options
    Oh, my, Kathy

What an experience that was!  I was wondering if you had your PET/MRI and what that experience was like for you.  Thank you for sharing your experience with us and providing further details about the test.   It sounds like it is quite similiar to a regular MRI where you are enclosed in a very tight space.  55 minutes is a very long time in that circumstance, but it is worth it since their is no additional radiation exposure.  I am glad that's behind you.  When will you receive the results?

Hopefully, the results will provide an explanation for your headaches that will point to an easy cure and will show no other abnormalities in your body.

Warm wishes to you, Kathy!

Take care,

Cathy  

• Kaleena
    Options
    Abbycat2 said:

Oh, my, Kathy

What an experience that was!  I was wondering if you had your PET/MRI and what that experience was like for you.  Thank you for sharing your experience with us and providing further details about the test.   It sounds like it is quite similiar to a regular MRI where you are enclosed in a very tight space.  55 minutes is a very long time in that circumstance, but it is worth it since their is no additional radiation exposure.  I am glad that's behind you.  When will you receive the results?

Hopefully, the results will provide an explanation for your headaches that will point to an easy cure and will show no other abnormalities in your body.

Warm wishes to you, Kathy!

Take care,

Cathy  

Hi Cathy:
    I am hoping I

Hi Cathy:

I am hoping I receive the results later today or tomorrow.   Waiting is the pitts!   

Thank you for your wishes!

Hope all is well with you.   I'll let you know once I receive the results.

Kathy

• pinky104
    pinky104 Member Posts: 574 Member
    Options
    PET/MRI

I find this very interesting.  I haven't heard of this machine at all.  I've had four CT scans, an MRI, and a PET/CT.  I'm getting my share of radiation.  I have to have another CT next week.  Where did you have to go to have your test?  

It'll be interesting to hear your results.  You've certainly had a more complicated case than I have, and I'm a stage IVb.  I hope whatever they find can be treated successfully so you don't have to deal with these problems any more. 

• Kaleena
    Options
    pinky104 said:

PET/MRI

I find this very interesting.  I haven't heard of this machine at all.  I've had four CT scans, an MRI, and a PET/CT.  I'm getting my share of radiation.  I have to have another CT next week.  Where did you have to go to have your test?  

It'll be interesting to hear your results.  You've certainly had a more complicated case than I have, and I'm a stage IVb.  I hope whatever they find can be treated successfully so you don't have to deal with these problems any more. 

The one I went to was Cleveland Clinic, but there is one in New York City also that I know of.  I still haven't gotten my results yet as of this morning.  I will probably call later this afternoon if I haven't heard anything to see if they are completed.

• StrongerthanIthought
    Options
    Kaleena said:

The one I went to was Cleveland Clinic, but there is one in New York City also that I know of.  I still haven't gotten my results yet as of this morning.  I will probably call later this afternoon if I haven't heard anything to see if they are completed.

Thank you

Thank you for all the information.  When I'm having a procedure it always helps me to know what to expect.  Fear of the unknown is a BIG fear.  You have spelled it out so clearly for us.   Praying for good results for you.   Barb

• Kaleena
    Options

Thank you

Thank you for all the information.  When I'm having a procedure it always helps me to know what to expect.  Fear of the unknown is a BIG fear.  You have spelled it out so clearly for us.   Praying for good results for you.   Barb

Youre welcome Barb.   I just

Youre welcome Barb.   I just found out that I won't know my results until Monday or Tuesday.   So I am going to keep myself busy this weekend so I don't think about it.  I will let you know when I find out.

Have a great weekend and thanks!

Kathy

• pinky104
    pinky104 Member Posts: 574 Member
    Options
    Thanks, Kaleena

Thank you for the info. on the location.  NYC would be about a 3 hour drive for me, like your trip to the Cleveland Clinic was for you, and I'm sure there would be very long waiting lists for the tests down there.  I figured that NYC would probably be the closest place I could go for this, and I'm not fond of the idea of driving down there.  My husband has developed an eye problem where he's seeing double when he looks at road signs, which he's trying to get fixed currently, so I guess I'll use the traditional scans for now.  I'm sure eventually these new machines will be all over the place, if the hospitals can afford them. Most of the hospitals in my region are fighting to survive financially, so I probably won't see one for a while. 

• debrajo
    debrajo Member Posts: 1,095 Member
    Options
    Hey Kathy

Would you ,by any means, know what they WOuld  do if someone was diabetic?  I am a pill controled diabetic, but even fasting I am not ever that low.  IS it completely out for people like me?  Thanks, Debra Phillips

• Kaleena
    Options
    debrajo said:

Hey Kathy

Would you ,by any means, know what they WOuld  do if someone was diabetic?  I am a pill controled diabetic, but even fasting I am not ever that low.  IS it completely out for people like me?  Thanks, Debra Phillips

ideal glucose at test time - 180 or lower

Hi Debrajo:

The diabetic concern is really only with the PET part of the scan.    If you are diabetic, they would like your glucose levels to be 180 or below on the day of the exam. If your numbers are above this, then it could effect your exam.   Other than that its good to go.    Also, you can still take your insulin on the day of the exam if you need to (although it may depend of certain facilities).  The day before the exam, you are to eat a high protein diet.   You are to limit your intake of sugar the day before the exam.    Nothing 4 hours prior to the exam.  If you need to take water, I believe you can - but no flavor water of any kind.   Also, some facilities have special instructions for persons who are diabetic but I do not know what those instructions would be.

So Debrajo, it is not out of the question, it is that you just have to watch the glucose levels on the PET portion of the scan and see what special instructions your facility may have.  The MRI portion will be no problem whatsoever.

I hope this helps,.

Kathy

• Double Whammy
    Double Whammy Member Posts: 2,832 Member
    Options
    Kaleena said:

Hi Debrajo:

The diabetic concern is really only with the PET part of the scan.    If you are diabetic, they would like your glucose levels to be 180 or below on the day of the exam. If your numbers are above this, then it could effect your exam.   Other than that its good to go.    Also, you can still take your insulin on the day of the exam if you need to (although it may depend of certain facilities).  The day before the exam, you are to eat a high protein diet.   You are to limit your intake of sugar the day before the exam.    Nothing 4 hours prior to the exam.  If you need to take water, I believe you can - but no flavor water of any kind.   Also, some facilities have special instructions for persons who are diabetic but I do not know what those instructions would be.

So Debrajo, it is not out of the question, it is that you just have to watch the glucose levels on the PET portion of the scan and see what special instructions your facility may have.  The MRI portion will be no problem whatsoever.

I hope this helps,.

Kathy

Thanks for the great description

It seems that great strides in tools have been made even in the 4 years since my diagnosis.  Pretty amazing some of the things available now.

I hope you get good results, Kathy.  Will keep you in my thoughts and will be looking for that report.

Suzanne

• Kaleena
    Options

Thanks for the great description

It seems that great strides in tools have been made even in the 4 years since my diagnosis.  Pretty amazing some of the things available now.

I hope you get good results, Kathy.  Will keep you in my thoughts and will be looking for that report.

Suzanne

Hi Suzanne:
    Hopefully I will

Hi Suzanne:

Hopefully I will have the results on Monday.   I guess some things don't change, ie:  Waiting for results!   Thanks for your thoughts and I hope all is well with you also.  By the way, it was nice that you got to have lunch with a fellow CSN member.   It seemed like you had a great time.   (My mom just got diagnosed with breast cancer so I was checking the BC site out)

Kathy

• debrajo
    Options
    Kaleena said:

Hi Debrajo:

I hope this helps,.

Kathy

Thanks!

Appreciate the information!  I think I can pull off the 180, just not too much lower.  Would like to have one of the PRT/MRI scans just for the heck of seeing what is going on in there!   Would love to see the day when this kind of testing will be routene for Well Women check ups.  Guess I'm really looking to hedge my bets on getting ahead of the game.  Oh, what  I wouldn't do for Dr. McCoy and his majac tri-quarter machine!!!  Debrajo 

• Kaleena
    Options
    debrajo said:

Thanks!

Appreciate the information!  I think I can pull off the 180, just not too much lower.  Would like to have one of the PRT/MRI scans just for the heck of seeing what is going on in there!   Would love to see the day when this kind of testing will be routene for Well Women check ups.  Guess I'm really looking to hedge my bets on getting ahead of the game.  Oh, what  I wouldn't do for Dr. McCoy and his majac tri-quarter machine!!!  Debrajo 

Dr McCoy

You are most welcome, Debrajo!

I see you are a Trekki fan too!    We have really come a long way in the medical field and might not be that far off from one of Dr. McCoy's machines!  And in the words of Spock, Live long and Prosper!

KathyLaughing

• Abbycat2
    Abbycat2 Member Posts: 644 Member
    Options
    Kaleena said:

Dr McCoy

You are most welcome, Debrajo!

I see you are a Trekki fan too!    We have really come a long way in the medical field and might not be that far off from one of Dr. McCoy's machines!  And in the words of Spock, Live long and Prosper!

KathyLaughing

For Debrajo & Kathy

Space, the final frontier: These are the voyages of the Starship Enterprise. It's 5 year mission: to explore strange new worlds; to seek out new life and new civilizations; to boldly go where no man has gone before! Personally, I always thought woman should have been in there, too!  Now, if Scotty would only beam me up!

• Kaleena
    Options
    Abbycat2 said:

For Debrajo & Kathy

Space, the final frontier: These are the voyages of the Starship Enterprise. It's 5 year mission: to explore strange new worlds; to seek out new life and new civilizations; to boldly go where no man has gone before! Personally, I always thought woman should have been in there, too!  Now, if Scotty would only beam me up!

Great, Cathy!

I think we're all on the Enterprise together!

• debrajo
    Options
    Kaleena said:

Great, Cathy!

I think we're all on the Enterprise together!

LOL!

Well ladies, we may be on the Enterprise, because we sure ain't on The Good Ship "Lolliepop"!   Be my luck that if Scottie beamed me up, the transporter would scatter my  atoms all over the universe!  Debrajo 

P.S.  I'm old enought to remember when "Star Treck" came on a TV series!

• SopranoDiva
    SopranoDiva Member Posts: 2
    Options
    debrajo said:

LOL!

Well ladies, we may be on the Enterprise, because we sure ain't on The Good Ship "Lolliepop"!   Be my luck that if Scottie beamed me up, the transporter would scatter my  atoms all over the universe!  Debrajo 

P.S.  I'm old enought to remember when "Star Treck" came on a TV series!

Hey there not to be nosy but what were your results?  I was stage IVB grade 1 endo adenocarcinoma and lately have been having headaches too.