Options
2»

Comments

• lornal
    lornal Member Posts: 428
    Options
    wmc said:

Thank you and your niece Kritter

I was asked to put one on YouTube by my SLP and Dr. just have not done a good one yet. I put this up with the hope it would give people hope and understanding that you can overcome many things, you just have to try and if you want it don't give up. For me after the surgery I wake up with no voice and not allowed to swallow anything, not even saliva for six days. You write everything down. If you have an emergency you pull the cord to the nurse call box out of the wall. You will learn to swallow, then eat, and talk all over again because everything was cut. Now the best part is you can relearn. You also get your life back you almost lost. You also get some great stories to tell. 

Have a great day

Bill

Swallowing after surgery

I don't know if I was allowed to swallow or not after my surgery.  But (and maybe I was hallucinating), I swear, the nurses were trying to make me salivate.  They were eating in front of me - and looking at me.  But, then again, I also thought they were trying to kill me by making me suffocate (by not clearing my stoma).  Anyway - I think someone did say that your own saliva is very healing.

Lorna

• wmc
    wmc Member Posts: 1,804
    Options
    lornal said:

Swallowing after surgery

I don't know if I was allowed to swallow or not after my surgery.  But (and maybe I was hallucinating), I swear, the nurses were trying to make me salivate.  They were eating in front of me - and looking at me.  But, then again, I also thought they were trying to kill me by making me suffocate (by not clearing my stoma).  Anyway - I think someone did say that your own saliva is very healing.

Lorna

Your saliva helps your teeth.

Your saliva is needed to keep your teeth healthy. On the second day I took over the cleaning and almost all of the suction. Just stick down your stoma until you gag then start the suction. What wonderful memories.

• lornal
    lornal Member Posts: 428
    Options
    wmc said:

Your saliva helps your teeth.

Your saliva is needed to keep your teeth healthy. On the second day I took over the cleaning and almost all of the suction. Just stick down your stoma until you gag then start the suction. What wonderful memories.

I really think all of this

I really think all of this happened when I was sedated - I remember so much from when I was sedated - but most of it never happened - like the merry-go-round horses riding by when every I had to swallow - or the elephants (polka-dotted elephants that is).  I also had an arm in the cast because of the skin graft - I wasn't allowed to use that hand. What AWFUL memories.  I wonder if some day I'll be able to forget them. LOL.

I haven't had to use the suction machine since March.  I did charge it and take it on vacation with me though.  Same with my nebulizer - haven't used that for several months.

• wmc
    Options
    CoryDee said:

You are an inspiration

I admire your tenacity and hard work. You have shown your hard work paid off. Keep on whistling!

Thank you

Thank you CoryDee.

• wmc
    Options
    Hondo said:

Hi Bill

Great post, I too have problems blowing as the soft palate is so damaged when I blow all the air comes out the noise. No problem I just pinch my noise close and keep blowing, Ha ha then the air comes out my ears, all we can do it to keep trying.

Tim Hondo

Thanks Tim

There are several people here that have been through hell and back, yet just keep fighting and inspiring so many. I thank you and all the others, for all your suport you have given me. Bless you all......

Bill

• tommyodavey
    tommyodavey Member Posts: 727 Member
    Options
    wmc said:

Thanks Tim

There are several people here that have been through hell and back, yet just keep fighting and inspiring so many. I thank you and all the others, for all your suport you have given me. Bless you all......

Bill

Wow

That was great Bill!  It just goes to show how far a person can get with determination.  My cancer was different but it still affected my whistling and vocal cords.  My tongue is shorter now so I'm relearning.  My vocal cords are just hoarse, probably from the rads.  I can't complain, my new normal is just fine.

Your video is inspiring.

Tom

• wmc
    Options

Wow

That was great Bill!  It just goes to show how far a person can get with determination.  My cancer was different but it still affected my whistling and vocal cords.  My tongue is shorter now so I'm relearning.  My vocal cords are just hoarse, probably from the rads.  I can't complain, my new normal is just fine.

Your video is inspiring.

Tom

Thank you Tom

I was hoping for that.

Every day I wake up, is a good one.

Bill

• Hondo
    Hondo Member Posts: 6,636 Member
    Options
    Hi Bill

Little things that seem so normal and easy to others may sometimes be a milestone to us. I am glad to hear you are able to do the things you love to do again, never give up there is always hope.

Tim Hondo