scared

Options
2»

Comments

• jackflash22
    jackflash22 Member Posts: 524 Member
    Options

i called the nurses hot line

i called the nurses hot line thay told me to put him in a warm bath and give him pain meds .. if he still has pain to bring him in he is so depressed feels like one step forward and the 2 back.. we have to go for bloods today doesnt feel like he can even sit in the car ... i have just put in a call to his radioligist nurse hoping to hear back soon.. he says he doesnt know what they can do for him anyhow  the nurses hotline also said the an suppositori or enima likely wont work as he is blocked at rectum... he would kill me if he knew i was writing this,, but im just hoping someone else has who has gone through it has some answers:(

the position you sit on the

the position you sit on the toilet help the bowels. Put a box or low stool under the feet so the legs are raised to a squat position. It's a more natural way ( animals squat) it gives more 'Umph!, and opens the bottom of the bowel wider. You can get sachets of orange flavoured bulking fibre from the drug store.

• granmudder
    granmudder Member Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    wmc said:

That's great

Drinking the water is s good. Now cutting down to a pack lasting three days is GREAT news. I know how hard it is. To help with having something for your hands to do he might try this. Get a straw and cut it down to about the size of a cigarette and put a small amount of cotton in it. Now get the filters for cigerattes and put that on the end. When he has the urge to smoke put the straw in his mouth and just tell yourself I can go just a little longer, and you do. Now the pack lasts four then five days. It helps having something for your hands. I also used Tic tacks. Best of luck and tell him we're proud of him. I'm 12 months and 14 days three hours. Yes I remember my last cigarette was 8/28/2013 @ 8:00 pm and I never had another one. One day at a time. 

Bill

Thats amazing Bill!!!! My son

Thats amazing Bill!!!! My son quit on september 2nd  to support his dad my daughter did 2 years ago because she wanted her dad to stop then i quit when i was 30.. i am 56 now ...YES im SO proud of him too .. he will get there .. started walking yesterday with me too around the small block but its a start .. I do a 40 minute walk around the lake every morning & every evening and his goal is to join me in that :) ... this is going to change his life style I can see it coming :) my meat and potatoe guy is actually eating vegetables now too.... after i made him a blended smoothie with veggies and fruit he said please no NEVER again ....i will eat my vegetables and asked me to make him steamed veggies  :) he had them last night .... has stopped the morphine as well says it interferes .. he says the throat pain is not as bad as the constipation pain .. I finally told him I am in touch with you wonderful supportive guys and that from what I read he actually seems to be doing really well... I think the biggest thing is the expectation that after treatments all is going to be the same as before and it takes time maybe a long time..

• granmudder
    Options

a pack in 3 days!  that is

a pack in 3 days!  that is outstanding!!!  now add drinking water and eating to that and I'd say he is doing a grand job of behaving himself.  i don't know what you did but whatever it was, it worked!!  keep up the good job.

God bless you both,

dj

Debbiejeanne,

Thank you for

Debbiejeanne,

Thank you for your support :) i cannot tell you how much you guys are all doing for me i feel like my hand is being held.. you will be pleased to know he also has started on the water he is up to around 6 glasses a day :))) he is really trying... he is very stubborn and is very much a manly man if you know what i mean but he loves us all so much he knows he has to get better..he is feeling guilty because he is unable to help much at work we have a family business and this is busy season ...the kids have done a great job of running it all summer  .. he was sure by end of the treatments he would be back full throttle but losing 40 lbs and that mainly muscle mass along with the side effects. He has accepted now I think that in order for him to get better he just has to do certain things to get there.. one day at a time... I thank you for your prayers..

• phrannie51
    phrannie51 Member Posts: 4,716
    Options

Thats amazing Bill!!!! My son

Thats amazing Bill!!!! My son quit on september 2nd  to support his dad my daughter did 2 years ago because she wanted her dad to stop then i quit when i was 30.. i am 56 now ...YES im SO proud of him too .. he will get there .. started walking yesterday with me too around the small block but its a start .. I do a 40 minute walk around the lake every morning & every evening and his goal is to join me in that :) ... this is going to change his life style I can see it coming :) my meat and potatoe guy is actually eating vegetables now too.... after i made him a blended smoothie with veggies and fruit he said please no NEVER again ....i will eat my vegetables and asked me to make him steamed veggies  :) he had them last night .... has stopped the morphine as well says it interferes .. he says the throat pain is not as bad as the constipation pain .. I finally told him I am in touch with you wonderful supportive guys and that from what I read he actually seems to be doing really well... I think the biggest thing is the expectation that after treatments all is going to be the same as before and it takes time maybe a long time..

I think I know your hubby...

at least his personality.  My dad was just like that.  He wouldn't even go to a hospital when he dislocated his hip because he knew they wouldn't let him smoke!  Stubborn to the nth degree!  What I learned when I quit smoking is.....the craving only lasts for a few minutes, and then it's gone...get passed that few minutes, and I was free again for a while....(just like Bill said).

Yep, you meat and spud man is probably going to be changing his eating habits :).  It becomes healthier, just not on purpose.  Meat is low on my new list of things to eat....vegitables are something that I have been able to taste since the end of treatment....just that fact had me eating veggies constantly.....I think I ate 6 giant pots of home made veggie/beef soup in a row.....a month or so out of treatment...breakfast...lunch and dinner for 2 or 3 weeks, it tasted so good.

You tell him to hang in there, keep walking (walking is exactly what I did to build up strength, and it comes back quicker than we think it's going to)......1/2 block....then a block.....then I started taking on my pastures and the local park.....took the dogs to give me "reason" other than myself.  Fatigue is a problem for a few months, but it disapates too.

p

• granmudder
    Options

I think I know your hubby...

at least his personality.  My dad was just like that.  He wouldn't even go to a hospital when he dislocated his hip because he knew they wouldn't let him smoke!  Stubborn to the nth degree!  What I learned when I quit smoking is.....the craving only lasts for a few minutes, and then it's gone...get passed that few minutes, and I was free again for a while....(just like Bill said).

Yep, you meat and spud man is probably going to be changing his eating habits :).  It becomes healthier, just not on purpose.  Meat is low on my new list of things to eat....vegitables are something that I have been able to taste since the end of treatment....just that fact had me eating veggies constantly.....I think I ate 6 giant pots of home made veggie/beef soup in a row.....a month or so out of treatment...breakfast...lunch and dinner for 2 or 3 weeks, it tasted so good.

You tell him to hang in there, keep walking (walking is exactly what I did to build up strength, and it comes back quicker than we think it's going to)......1/2 block....then a block.....then I started taking on my pastures and the local park.....took the dogs to give me "reason" other than myself.  Fatigue is a problem for a few months, but it disapates too.

p

Allan Carrs " Easy Way To

Allan Carrs " Easy Way To Stop Smoking" bought this book for him yesterday.. my daughter read it 3 times and it helped her to beat it ...she passed it to my son who quit the 2nd  of September like I mentioned He has talked about passing it to his dad but was afraid he still may need it to reread.... My hubby started reading it right away:) !!! I think he is ready.. willing and wanting to quit he will get there :)!... want me to start researching for a winter vacation..he is hoping he will be ready wants a place that has good food and great beach we usually go to mexico all inclusive... ..we will see though.......if not this winter next ....and on that note i have to walk the dog before work...its going to be a beautiful day yay!

• phrannie51
    phrannie51 Member Posts: 4,716
    Options

Allan Carrs " Easy Way To

Allan Carrs " Easy Way To Stop Smoking" bought this book for him yesterday.. my daughter read it 3 times and it helped her to beat it ...she passed it to my son who quit the 2nd  of September like I mentioned He has talked about passing it to his dad but was afraid he still may need it to reread.... My hubby started reading it right away:) !!! I think he is ready.. willing and wanting to quit he will get there :)!... want me to start researching for a winter vacation..he is hoping he will be ready wants a place that has good food and great beach we usually go to mexico all inclusive... ..we will see though.......if not this winter next ....and on that note i have to walk the dog before work...its going to be a beautiful day yay!

You're doing a recommendation

that probably every person on this board would give to you.....planning something fun to do when this is in your rear view mirror.....Greg amd I did that, and gave us something to look forward to......

YEAH!!  Hubby picked up the book right away......I'd say he's wanting badly to quit.....and that's what it takes....ya gotta wanna.  Whoo Hoo!!

p

• edbravo
    edbravo Member Posts: 63
    Options
    Hi. Just let him smoke for

Hi. Just let him smoke for the time being and he will eventually stop.

• Anonymous7/6/2023
    Options

I feel the same helplessness

I feel the same helplessness with my partner, he has lung problems..fibrosis,swollen nodes and inflammation but he won't quit smoking and refuses treatment. He's in denial all the time. It dreadful to hear him coughing and sometimes choking. I can't understand why men can be so stubborn. He makes sure I keep my appointments but he refuses to go or walks out before he's seen because they kept him waiting to long. I hope your husband sees the sense to quit smoking I know it's hard but can be done. Good luck.

Hiyah Jackflash honey.... I

Hiyah Jackflash honey.... I hope you wont mind my saying, but please try not to breathe in your husband's smoke. You really mustn't. The risks for all of us are SO much worse if we ourselves smoke, AND if we passively smoke.

Be well and happy, Estelle x x x x

• granmudder
    Options
    6 week update!!

Yay saw the our new radiaoligist  for 6 week checkup yesterday .. dietician popped by first she said we seem to have all undercontol :)   said tastebuds still can take another few months to return but he is doing well with swallowing and managing to take in enough calories to sustain his weight.. Dr said that everything felt and looked clear ... i asked you can actually see cancer in the throat?? Hes said yes of course.. i was shocked as again if that is true.... how can you be misdiagnosed???  he also have him a nasal scope and saw nothing :).....anyhow doesnt matter looks like my hubby got this beat :) ....pet scan in another 2 months... still smoking a few ciggarettes a day.. that to is slowing down though... we will get there :))) read the easy way to quit smoking book and said he will reread it( so he is really trying)..... now passports and hopefully vacation in February...

• hwt
    hwt Member Posts: 2,328 Member
    Options

6 week update!!

Yay saw the our new radiaoligist  for 6 week checkup yesterday .. dietician popped by first she said we seem to have all undercontol :)   said tastebuds still can take another few months to return but he is doing well with swallowing and managing to take in enough calories to sustain his weight.. Dr said that everything felt and looked clear ... i asked you can actually see cancer in the throat?? Hes said yes of course.. i was shocked as again if that is true.... how can you be misdiagnosed???  he also have him a nasal scope and saw nothing :).....anyhow doesnt matter looks like my hubby got this beat :) ....pet scan in another 2 months... still smoking a few ciggarettes a day.. that to is slowing down though... we will get there :))) read the easy way to quit smoking book and said he will reread it( so he is really trying)..... now passports and hopefully vacation in February...

Good for you!

Vacation is the way to go! I have been out of the country twice since tx. No issues and only disappointment was in having to make food choices. A small price to pay for good memories.

• debbiejeanne
    debbiejeanne Member Posts: 3,102 Member
    Options

6 week update!!

love to hear such great

love to hear such great news!  a few cigs a day is definitely getting there.  probably won't be long now before its zero!  keeping my fingers crossed.  looking forward to vacation is great.  its always a good thing to have something to look forward to but especially after cancer.  The way this year has passed so quickly, Feb. will be here in a blink.  Can't wait to see pics of your good time.

God bless you,

dj

• wmc
    wmc Member Posts: 1,804
    Options

6 week update!!

Great News......

That is such great news. Also that he is still cutting down, I know how hard it is to quit. Jelly Beans helped me also a straw for my hand to mouth craving. I put small amount of cotton in the straw to give restriction like I had with a cigarette. Just remember If he can quit, the odds of it returning go from around 90% down to less than 20% it won't come back.

Tell him he is doing great.

Bill