Have anybody experienced pain inside your ear during taking food aftre radiation

Options

Hi All,

My father had his last radiation on 7th august 2014.For last 15 days or some he is saying he is feeling little pain in his ear during taking food.the Medicine onocologist told it is the side effect of radiation.

Please comment.

Thanks & Regards

Comments

• Hondo
    Hondo Member Posts: 6,636 Member
    Options
    Hi Hope

Is he using a PEG or eating by mouth. Sometimes the soft palate is damaged from the radiation and does not close right when swallowing. This will allow for food to get trapped in the nasal area or sinus. This was one of my problems but it took years to come to a head, it got so bad if I tried to swallow a pill it would get stuck up in my noise. I would say he needs to give his ENT a call and let them know what is going on.   

Just my take

Tim Hondo

• hope3210
    hope3210 Member Posts: 27
    Options
    Hondo said:

Hi Hope

Is he using a PEG or eating by mouth. Sometimes the soft palate is damaged from the radiation and does not close right when swallowing. This will allow for food to get trapped in the nasal area or sinus. This was one of my problems but it took years to come to a head, it got so bad if I tried to swallow a pill it would get stuck up in my noise. I would say he needs to give his ENT a call and let them know what is going on.   

Just my take

Tim Hondo

Hi Tim,

Thanks for your

Hi Tim,

Thanks for your reply.He had a feeding tube through his nose during and after radiation but after 3 weeks of radiation we removed that tube now he is eating through his mouth.But he is able to eat liquid and little viscos things.We are now in 4th week after radiation.=

Thanks

Trilochan

• katenorwood
    katenorwood Member Posts: 1,912
    Options
    Hello !

I had pain in my ear when moving my jaw for quite awhile after surgery.  Mine was chalked up to nerve damage in this area.  I still have issues with it, but it is minor.  I'm assumming rads. could do the same.  I agree to let his ENT know about it anyway.  Better to check things out to make sure there isn't an infection at play here.  Katie

• 316connie
    316connie Member Posts: 2
    Options

hi hope, i am one week post op after major  neck surgery at MSKCC NY . I was discharged after  2 days and when I got  home , my pain became SO much worse  ,especially in my jaw ,temple and EAR. I cannot even touch my face /neck and  ended up going to my local ER .I was  admitted again for 4 more days. Given  IV antibiotics and pain meds,  which did NOT help  . No doctors there seemed to get what I was explaining about this intense  pain when I attempt to eat /swallow anything  ? I have been searching everywhere for  info and found  this on MedScape , under Carotid Body Tumors Treatment and management  - "first bite syndrome is another complication that occurs when the sympathetic supply to the ipsilateral parotid gland is severed. The resultant parotid gland has an unabated parasympathetic supply. To date, no successful treatment of this syndrome exists."

I regret not a word was mentioned to me about this serious problem and related ear throat complications I ( and possibly your Dad ) may be experiencing . I have not had any radiation . Sadly, there seems to be NO treatement other than possible botox injections .I am so sorry  dr.s are not 100% upfront with patients /families about what we  are facing after surgeries /treatments .

I am continuing with warm moist towles and  regularly sipping room temp.water for minor releif  .I am calling  my surgeon tomorrow to see what he says about this and give you any updates  .Gosh I know how uncomfortable your Dad feels and will pray  for his healing .

• hwt
    hwt Member Posts: 2,328 Member
    Options
    316connie said:

hi hope, i am one week post op after major  neck surgery at MSKCC NY . I was discharged after  2 days and when I got  home , my pain became SO much worse  ,especially in my jaw ,temple and EAR. I cannot even touch my face /neck and  ended up going to my local ER .I was  admitted again for 4 more days. Given  IV antibiotics and pain meds,  which did NOT help  . No doctors there seemed to get what I was explaining about this intense  pain when I attempt to eat /swallow anything  ? I have been searching everywhere for  info and found  this on MedScape , under Carotid Body Tumors Treatment and management  - "first bite syndrome is another complication that occurs when the sympathetic supply to the ipsilateral parotid gland is severed. The resultant parotid gland has an unabated parasympathetic supply. To date, no successful treatment of this syndrome exists."

I regret not a word was mentioned to me about this serious problem and related ear throat complications I ( and possibly your Dad ) may be experiencing . I have not had any radiation . Sadly, there seems to be NO treatement other than possible botox injections .I am so sorry  dr.s are not 100% upfront with patients /families about what we  are facing after surgeries /treatments .

I am continuing with warm moist towles and  regularly sipping room temp.water for minor releif  .I am calling  my surgeon tomorrow to see what he says about this and give you any updates  .Gosh I know how uncomfortable your Dad feels and will pray  for his healing .

Ear

I would suggest having the ENT take a look instead of the Oncologist.