Can some one please give me some advise

dizzymouse
dizzymouse Member Posts: 14

Hi:

I am new member for American Cancer Society. Last month diagnosis and doctor told me I got ovarian cancer stage III. I done the surgery last month, Removed the tumor and both of my ovarials. Doctor told me I need chemo as soon as possible. (I don't think I am fully recover yet! only been 5 weeks, still not feeling well, buy my doctor told me by body is ready! )

I am schedule for chemo next week. They are going to use Taxol (First day from my chest port)  and Cisplatin (second day IP chemo, direct to my abdomen) I feel super anxiety about that. Never done any chemo before. Not sure what is going to be...... does any one had some experience for those ? ( both Taxol and Cisplatin ) Can any one give me some advise or share the experience with me ? Please advise.

Thank you so much

Comments

• wholfmeister
    wholfmeister Member Posts: 315
    Best plan

Your doctor is recommending the best course for survival.  I had IV/IP with taxol and platinum for 6 rounds starting the month after my surgery. I, too, was scared and didn't feel ready! But, I made it through!

You probably know you will likely lose your hair.  It is sad at first, but most of us find a sort of freedom in that.  you May experience some nausea, but your doctor will give you medicine to keep it under control.  Don't be afraid to take it the few days after chemo, or anytime. Don't wait until you feel sick.  The IP can make you feel very full for a day, but it shouldn't be too uncomfortable.  I am tall, and I only really noticed the fullness when I bent over!

My tips: Keep yourself well hydrated.  Lots of fluids the days before and after chemo.  Start Miralax a couple days before, and keep taking it for a week after.  Allow yourself to rest, but keep moving: walk around the block everyday. Keep your eye on the prize: a life without cancer.

Sending you good wishes!

• dizzymouse

Best plan

Your doctor is recommending the best course for survival.  I had IV/IP with taxol and platinum for 6 rounds starting the month after my surgery. I, too, was scared and didn't feel ready! But, I made it through!

You probably know you will likely lose your hair.  It is sad at first, but most of us find a sort of freedom in that.  you May experience some nausea, but your doctor will give you medicine to keep it under control.  Don't be afraid to take it the few days after chemo, or anytime. Don't wait until you feel sick.  The IP can make you feel very full for a day, but it shouldn't be too uncomfortable.  I am tall, and I only really noticed the fullness when I bent over!

My tips: Keep yourself well hydrated.  Lots of fluids the days before and after chemo.  Start Miralax a couple days before, and keep taking it for a week after.  Allow yourself to rest, but keep moving: walk around the block everyday. Keep your eye on the prize: a life without cancer.

Sending you good wishes!

Thank you so much !

Thank you so much for the tip and the advise. I was feeling so scared and anxious. At least I got some idea about the chemo now. Again, Thank you very much for your help!!!! :D

• NoTimeForCancer
    NoTimeForCancer Member Posts: 3,360 Member

Best plan

Sending you good wishes!

Wholfmeister, you hit it

Wholfmeister, you hit it right on the head! 

The unknown is the scariest thing but once you get one done you will see you can do it.  You are going to surprise yourself on just how strong you really are.

• seatown
    seatown Member Posts: 261 Member
    on the right track

Just wanted to endorse what has already been said. I have primary peritoneal cancer, which is similar to ovarian cancer & treated just the same. I had already had a total hysterectomy when my cancer was diagnosed 2+ years ago, so immediately I went straight to chemo--taxol & platinum, all IV, no IP. I responded well, minimal side effects, & tho I've been on 1 kind of chemo or another for most of the last 2 years I am doing well & feeling well. You'll come thru this!

Should you be interested, you can read about the ups & downs of my cancer journey, from beginning to now, at www.CaringBridge.org/visit/CaroleSeaton 

Very best wishes to you!

• dizzymouse

Wholfmeister, you hit it

Wholfmeister, you hit it right on the head! 

The unknown is the scariest thing but once you get one done you will see you can do it.  You are going to surprise yourself on just how strong you really are.

Thank for keep me positive

Thank you so much for keep me so positive. :D I am lucky that I join this group. Some one can give me advise. You guys are so kind. Thank you again!

• dizzymouse
    seatown said:

on the right track

Just wanted to endorse what has already been said. I have primary peritoneal cancer, which is similar to ovarian cancer & treated just the same. I had already had a total hysterectomy when my cancer was diagnosed 2+ years ago, so immediately I went straight to chemo--taxol & platinum, all IV, no IP. I responded well, minimal side effects, & tho I've been on 1 kind of chemo or another for most of the last 2 years I am doing well & feeling well. You'll come thru this!

Should you be interested, you can read about the ups & downs of my cancer journey, from beginning to now, at www.CaringBridge.org/visit/CaroleSeaton 

Very best wishes to you!

Thank you for shareing with me

OMG! That is the name of my cancer also. (My doctor mention it once, after that she just told me is ovarian caner ) Yes! I will going to read your journey and learn more about it. Thank you for share it with me.

• lovesanimals
    lovesanimals Member Posts: 1,366 Member

Thank you for shareing with me

OMG! That is the name of my cancer also. (My doctor mention it once, after that she just told me is ovarian caner ) Yes! I will going to read your journey and learn more about it. Thank you for share it with me.

Hi Dizzymouse

We all know how scary it is to be diagnosed with cancer and to face surgery and chemo.  I had the taxol but not the other drug in your chemo "cocktail", but I found my chemo to be doable.  My chemo nurse said that at least one side-effect is common to every chemo drug:  fatigue.  Please allow yourself ample time to rest and sleep.  If all you can manage at times is to lie on the living room couch and watch TV, then that's okay.  At the same time, try also to do some moving around to keep your blood flowing and intestines moving.  There were times when my "moving" involved only a gentle stroll in the backyard.  Please keep us posted on your journey.  You are not alone.  The women here are wonderful in providing support.

Warm hugs,

Kelly

• dizzymouse

Hi Dizzymouse

We all know how scary it is to be diagnosed with cancer and to face surgery and chemo.  I had the taxol but not the other drug in your chemo "cocktail", but I found my chemo to be doable.  My chemo nurse said that at least one side-effect is common to every chemo drug:  fatigue.  Please allow yourself ample time to rest and sleep.  If all you can manage at times is to lie on the living room couch and watch TV, then that's okay.  At the same time, try also to do some moving around to keep your blood flowing and intestines moving.  There were times when my "moving" involved only a gentle stroll in the backyard.  Please keep us posted on your journey.  You are not alone.  The women here are wonderful in providing support.

Warm hugs,

Kelly

Thank you

Hi Kelly:

Thank you so much for the advise.

• dizzymouse

Best plan

Sending you good wishes!

what kind of platinum chemo do you have ?

Hi:

May I ask you what kind of platinum chemo do you have? My other oncology call me today, she told me I have other choose for chemo. Which is Taxol (From IV) and Carboplatin (From IV also). I was thinking maybe that is a good choose. Because I heard too much side effect for cisplatin (from IP). It cause kiney problem. Could you please share your IP chemo experience with me. Thank you very much.

• dizzymouse
    seatown said:

on the right track

Very best wishes to you!

what kind of platinum chemo do you have ?

May I ask you what kind of platinum chemo do you have? My other oncology call me today, she told me I have other choose for chemo. Which is Taxol (From IV) and Carboplatin (From IV also). I was thinking maybe that is a good choose. Because I heard too much side effect for cisplatin (from IP). It cause kiney problem. Could you please share your IP chemo experience with me. Thank you very much.

• pandagypsy
    pandagypsy Member Posts: 113
    I'm getting the same drugs

I'm getting the same chemo now, I am right in the middle of treatment, but both of mine are going thru my chest port.  The best advice my doctor told me was to remember that the side effects are "cumulative".....that prepared me for how I treat the side effects, I take more drugs to treat the symptoms without feeling like I am a "druggie".  She also told me to act proactively on taking pain and nausea meds....as soon as you feel the symptoms developing, TAKE THE MEDS.....DON'T WAIT UNTIL THINGS ARE OUT OF CONTROL!  This has worked for me, I even take the nausea drug before I go to the pool, since I was getting SEASICK!!!!! You have to take control of the situation, and if you feel like laying around all day or sleeping, that is what you do......since I have taken on this attitude, it is much easier to cope........do what YOU have to do, NOT what someone else thinks you should be doing..........easier said than doneTongue Out

• Jue
    Jue Member Posts: 80
    Hi dizzy mouse, I'm going for

Hi dizzy mouse, I'm going for number 6 chemo tomorrow carbo/taxol and have found side effects bearable until last session when avastin was added to hopefully help me along to remmision as my cancer is aggressive stage 3c.  I'm 47 and reasonable fit apart from thE cancer!  And found the first few chemos a breeze but I think the side effects get a little worse as they go along , I tried to carry on as normal but have had to slow down a little as I have days when I feel awful , they have become lazy days on the sofa with comfort food . I wish you lots luck and will say the ladies on here have been great since I was diagnosed and helped with information and cheered me up when I've been down , they all understand as we're all in same position best wishes . Jue

• dizzymouse

I'm getting the same drugs

I'm getting the same chemo now, I am right in the middle of treatment, but both of mine are going thru my chest port.  The best advice my doctor told me was to remember that the side effects are "cumulative".....that prepared me for how I treat the side effects, I take more drugs to treat the symptoms without feeling like I am a "druggie".  She also told me to act proactively on taking pain and nausea meds....as soon as you feel the symptoms developing, TAKE THE MEDS.....DON'T WAIT UNTIL THINGS ARE OUT OF CONTROL!  This has worked for me, I even take the nausea drug before I go to the pool, since I was getting SEASICK!!!!! You have to take control of the situation, and if you feel like laying around all day or sleeping, that is what you do......since I have taken on this attitude, it is much easier to cope........do what YOU have to do, NOT what someone else thinks you should be doing..........easier said than doneTongue Out

Hi Pandagypsy

Hi Pandagypsy:

Are you going to have Carboplatin and Taxol (Both from IV?) Sorry, I just want to make sure I got the right information. Thank you.

• dizzymouse
    Jue said:

Hi dizzy mouse, I'm going for

Hi dizzy mouse, I'm going for number 6 chemo tomorrow carbo/taxol and have found side effects bearable until last session when avastin was added to hopefully help me along to remmision as my cancer is aggressive stage 3c.  I'm 47 and reasonable fit apart from thE cancer!  And found the first few chemos a breeze but I think the side effects get a little worse as they go along , I tried to carry on as normal but have had to slow down a little as I have days when I feel awful , they have become lazy days on the sofa with comfort food . I wish you lots luck and will say the ladies on here have been great since I was diagnosed and helped with information and cheered me up when I've been down , they all understand as we're all in same position best wishes . Jue

Hi Jue

Hi Jue, I am 47 years old.(Same as you)  I have peritioneal canser (which is family of Ovarian cancer as well) and I also on stage III. I was very nervous and scare in this point. I trying to keep posting to find out there are any people like me can share information with me. Thank you for shareing  you experiance.