Free flap surgery

Options

Has anyone had a mandiblectomy with free flap where they used tissue from the thigh instead of the fibula bone? When I went back for surgery follow up they told me I had fluid I'm my thigh by the incision. They said it would go away by itself but not how long. How long does it take for fluid to be absorbed? It seems like my ankle seems to be swelling now too could the fluid be moving down?

Comments

• longtermsurvivor
    longtermsurvivor Member Posts: 1,842 Member
    Options
    fluid won't move

Sounds like you have what is called a seroma, a collection of clear or amber colored fluid in or under an incision.  It won't move, and it will be reabsorbed.  If it is too uncomfortable they can just drain it with a needle. 

Pat

• duck1255
    duck1255 Member Posts: 40
    Options

fluid won't move

Sounds like you have what is called a seroma, a collection of clear or amber colored fluid in or under an incision.  It won't move, and it will be reabsorbed.  If it is too uncomfortable they can just drain it with a needle. 

Pat

Seroma

It isn't uncomfortable at all. Any idea how long it can take for fluid to reabsorb

• longtermsurvivor
    longtermsurvivor Member Posts: 1,842 Member
    Options
    duck1255 said:

Seroma

It isn't uncomfortable at all. Any idea how long it can take for fluid to reabsorb

if it is very large

it can take quite awhile.  Weeks, or even months.  Smaller collections obviously are faster.

Pat