Thyroid meds needed 3 years after radiation?

Options
ptom
ptom Member Posts: 41 Member
edited August 2014 in Head and Neck Cancer #1

Has anyone who had squamous cell cancer of the upper esophageus (near trachea) and had 6 weeks of radiation end up having to take thyroid medication?  Most doctors I asked disregarded a connection between radiation and eventual thyroid trouble but my common sense just won't let it go.

Has any one here had this problem?  Am I making more out of this than I need to?

Ptom

Comments

• wmc
    wmc Member Posts: 1,804
    Options
    That I can't answer......

I only had surgery and no chemo or radaition. However, I have been taking thyroid meds for just over 50 years. I was born with half a thyroid gland and it's nothing to take thyroid meds.  Having rads might have done it or some meds can reduce your thyroid, and sometines it just stops working. Mine did when I was 12. I can't answer your question, but I can say don't wory about having to take it. It will take a few months to get it dialed in. If you don't get enought you get sleepy,tired, etc. If I was to go without for 4 days I could not even get out of bed and It could become life threatening around day seven. If you get to much, your hands can sweat you get wired and will talk fast and it will mess up your digestion. Not everyone gets the side effects. You don't have to take on an empty stomach, and with a glass of water. I take mine whenever I get up and with all the other pills at the same time.  If you forget to take it, take it as soon as you remember but do not double up on them. It would be better to skip one day. Don't skip two days. 

Best of luck with finding your answers

Bill

• Ladylacy
    Ladylacy Member Posts: 773 Member
    Options
    Thyroid

When my husband was diagnosed with laryngeal cancer he underwent radiation, chemo and then surgery.  About 6 months later, we found out his thyroid was out of wack.  Our doctors all said that the radiation and the fact that half his thyroid was removed during surgery was the cause.  He was then put on medication for hypothyroidism.  Six months later we found out that he had a second primary at the cervical of his esophagus, surgery ruled out.  He underwent more radiation and chemo.  This again put his thyroid out of wack -- he became hyperthyroidism.  Medication once again adjusted and then 2 months later when thyroid levels checked, he was back to being hypo so his medication once again adjusted.  Since that time it has not been checked due to the fact that he is on in-home hospice.

While I on the other hand have been on thyroid medication for years due to the fact that half of mine was removed due to a tumor which thankfully was not cancer. 

Sharon

• longtermsurvivor
    longtermsurvivor Member Posts: 1,842 Member
    Options
    any physician who disregards this connection

simply hasn't supervised the recovery for a bunch of people who have been radiated for head and neck cancer.  The thyroid is in the radiated field.  Sclerosis of the thyroid tissue is a progressive event, that takes place over a number of years, not just days or weeks.  So the farther out we are from rads, the more common thyroid failure is.  My thyroid failed before I even had my six week check-up, but that's actually a little unusual.  Most fail later than that.  Thyroid is easy to replace.  Someone just has to run the lab and prescribe the meds.

best to you     

Pat

• D Lewis
    D Lewis Member Posts: 1,581 Member
    Options

any physician who disregards this connection

simply hasn't supervised the recovery for a bunch of people who have been radiated for head and neck cancer.  The thyroid is in the radiated field.  Sclerosis of the thyroid tissue is a progressive event, that takes place over a number of years, not just days or weeks.  So the farther out we are from rads, the more common thyroid failure is.  My thyroid failed before I even had my six week check-up, but that's actually a little unusual.  Most fail later than that.  Thyroid is easy to replace.  Someone just has to run the lab and prescribe the meds.

best to you     

Pat

What Pat said...

I'm with Pat on this one.  Your Doctor is uninformed. I was told up front that the radiation would ultimately affect my thyroid, and mine cut out at four years.  I am taking a thyroid medication now, and will be for the rest of my life.  No big deal.  They check my blood, and balance out the medication.  Best of luck to you.

Deb

• phrannie51
    phrannie51 Member Posts: 4,716
    Options
    I'm with Pat and Deb on

this one.  Rads DO affect the thryroid......sooner or later.  My thyroid started going down hill 3 months out of treatment,and I've been on synthroid ever since.  I'd insist on a thyroid test......it's just a little blood.....It's hard to believe that Drs.'s this day and age would be in the dark about this.

p

• jackflash22
    jackflash22 Member Posts: 524 Member
    Options
    Thyroid

I had thyroid hormone replacement medication, went nearly 8 months with no energy and breathlessness. Doc kept saying it was fatigue from rads but it went on so long and I was like an invalid, in the end I had a blood test and found I was short of a hormone . After 4 weeks of taking the tablets I was back to my 'almost' normal self. The rads also closed my  throat and I live by a PEG tube. Radiation is some powerful stuff. I'm cancer free at present. 

• MarineE5
    MarineE5 Member Posts: 1,030 Member
    Options
    Thyroid Med's

Ptom,

After I completed my Radiation Treatments, my Radiation Oncologist told me to make sure I had my (TSH) Thyroid level checked any time I had Bloodwork done. He informed me that it wasn't a matter of IF my Thyroid would fail, but it was a matter of WHEN it would fail. I was lucky as my Thyroid did not fail until about the 5 year mark when I felt a sudden drop in energy. Went to my family doctor and had blood work done. Yep, TSH was out of whack, started on Levothyroxine low dose and increased doseage until I felt better.

Agree with the others, need to keep an eye on the Thyroid.

My Best to You and Everyone Here

• CivilMatt
    CivilMatt Member Posts: 4,722 Member
    Options
    thyroid

Ptom,

My doctor tested my thyroid regularly and after 2 years of decline I was prescribed meds (Levothyroxine).  He then monitored me for dosage until he liked my numbers.

Rads to my bot is my idea of a “smoking gun”.

Matt

• Hondo
    Hondo Member Posts: 6,636 Member
    Options
    Hi Ptom

Same here as Matt 2 years after my second treatment my Thyroid went out; doctor blame it on radiation side effects. I been on thyroid meds for almost 8 years now and go once a year to have it checked.

Tim Hondo

• denistd
    denistd Member Posts: 597
    Options
    Hondo said:

Hi Ptom

Same here as Matt 2 years after my second treatment my Thyroid went out; doctor blame it on radiation side effects. I been on thyroid meds for almost 8 years now and go once a year to have it checked.

Tim Hondo

Disagree a little

Disagree with whoever said that synthroid does npot have to be taken on an empty stomach. My endocinologist, my family doctor and the pharmacist said to take it about one hour before breakfast. If you look it up online it will also tell you that.

• denistd
    denistd Member Posts: 597
    Options
    denistd said:

Disagree a little

Disagree with whoever said that synthroid does npot have to be taken on an empty stomach. My endocinologist, my family doctor and the pharmacist said to take it about one hour before breakfast. If you look it up online it will also tell you that.

Also take with 6 ounces of water

How to Take Synthroid:

• Take your Synthroid once a day at the same time each day.
    • Take Synthroid on an empty stomach. It's best to take it 30 to 60 minutes before eating breakfast.
    • Take Synthroid alone. Do not take Synthroid within 4 hours of ingesting medications, supplements, or foods that may interact with Synthroid. Antacids, iron, and calcium supplements, dietary fiber, soy, and even walnuts can affect your body's absorption of Synthroid. Talk to your doctor to learn more.
  • TracyLynn72
    TracyLynn72 Member Posts: 839
    Options
    My doctor

told me to expect thyroid issues EVENTUALLY.  I'm one year post tx and have mine checked every 4 months.  Each time he tells me "Your thyroid is functioning normally.....for now".  I figure I'll be on meds for it at some point, but that's ok.  I'll take that over cancer any day!! 

• MarineE5
    MarineE5 Member Posts: 1,030 Member
    Options
    denistd said:

Also take with 6 ounces of water

How to Take Synthroid:

• Take your Synthroid once a day at the same time each day.
    • Take Synthroid on an empty stomach. It's best to take it 30 to 60 minutes before eating breakfast.
    • Take Synthroid alone. Do not take Synthroid within 4 hours of ingesting medications, supplements, or foods that may interact with Synthroid. Antacids, iron, and calcium supplements, dietary fiber, soy, and even walnuts can affect your body's absorption of Synthroid. Talk to your doctor to learn more.
    Correct Denis

I take mine at least 30 minutes before eating breakfast each morning. I was told the same as you, empty stomach to work best.

My Best to You and Everyone Here

• donfoo
    donfoo Member Posts: 1,771 Member
    Options
    what kind of doctors?

Hi ptom,

If the doctors you refer to have anything to do with cancer treatment, please find others to get advice from. It is very common that thyroid function is compromised as a result of radiation. Simple lab tests can monitor and indicate when medicine is needed to compensate for lost function. Fortunately, this is one long term side effect with mininal effect on your daily QOL.

• josh r.
    josh r. Member Posts: 264 Member
    Options
    Thyroid Damage is a Big Club

Hi to all of you,

I too have had the problem of lack of energy, consentration and strength together with unexplained weight gain and being too easily upset over minor issues. This had been going on for three to four years and as my lab test ect were in line with a 22 plus years cancer survivor I attributed these problems with "old age" as I will be 69 this month. I guess my DRs. did as well. Not so. After a number of tests and scans of lungs, kidnies, heart and bladder my relatively new GP, two years after my other GP moved from the area, ordered full thyroid panel and bingo last May! He said "We can fix this." He started me on 50mcg Levothyroxine for six weeks and there was good improvement in all areas to which my wife, colleauges and scale agree. He upped it to 75 mcg and I go back in the middle of this month to make sure we're at the right dossage. I am very grateful period! Unfortunately for me and his patients in our area the DR. was too good to true and was hired by a far more lucrative market in the L.A. area. I look forward to meeting my new GP in a few weeks and seeing the test results.

I hope this helps someone out there somewhere and let's be thankful and remember that we're not alone. josh r.

• Skiffin16
    Skiffin16 Member Posts: 8,305 Member
    Options
    Thyroid Damage...

As Pat said, any Cancer Specialty MD that doesn't make the connection definitely isn't informed....

Thyroid damage is almost a certainty with the rads that most of us have had. Maybe not now, but in the future.

My TSH levels have been above normal 0.5 - 5.0 every year since my rads (5 years ago)... But my Free T4 has been in range.., to this point I have not been on any synthetic meds. But I'm tested every six months or so.

John

• Debi16043
    Debi16043 Member Posts: 53
    Options
    Thyroid

Yes same here.  I had surgery and 6 weeks radiation and after 1 year I had to start taking thyroid pills but hey that's ok I'm still here. ,lol.  Was taken 25mg this year moved up to 50mg.  My doctors at md Anderson say it is a direct cause of radiation.  

• Duggie88
    Duggie88 Member Posts: 760 Member
    Options
    Thyroid

I had cancer at the base of my tongue and maybe a year after radiation I had to start meds for a dead thyroid. Just became my of my morning routine. No big deal.

Jeff

• lornal
    lornal Member Posts: 428
    Options
    Because I want to be different...

I was actually on thyroid meds before my first cancer in 2007.  I had radiation and chemo then.  My meds did not change for about 5 year during and after that.

Then, a couple years ago, I had to reduce my dose (6 days out of 7)

Now, with cancer 2 in 2014 - I had to reduce my meds again (.150 6/7 days instead of .175 6/7 days)

I had no chemo or rads this time.  I dare to be different.

I now have missing parathyroid, and have issues with calcium and vitamin d.

I will be switching to primary care doctors soon - who is also a endrocronologist - so he can deal with my thryoid, parathryoid, and diabetes!