Options
2»

Comments

• lornal
    lornal Member Posts: 428
    Options
    Kritter said:

To Hondo

A very big * Thank you* to you and all who have stayed on to help us newbies!

Ok I got on the medical website to access my medical records. The Memorial Hospital were I am being treated offers us that service. My diagnosis is ( Primary malignant neoplasm of nasal cavity ) it has not spread to lymphs, throat or beyond. Only invasion to my ethmoid sinus. 

I will look into NPC as the treatment may be similar. Seeing the radiologist Friday and maybe will be able to learn more from him. 

My ENT did say a mask..and I am sort of worried as I tend to be claustophobic.

Prayers are wonderful and I am on several prayer chains as well.

Kritter

Mask

If your are claustropobic, get meds to help calm you down when you get the mask made.  That is a series of steps.  The first is to have the mask molded to your face and neck.  I asked that they not cover my eyes, and the just brought it up to my nose.  I have heard others say they wouldn't do that for them.  I had to have cork in my mouth.  That was bad enough, but then they wanted to make a tooth guard.  Fortunately, I didn't have any metal fillings, so I could skip that.  I only needed one or 2 valium for this.

The second part is going in a CT w/ the mask bolted to the table while they take measurements.  For this I needed 5 valium.  So, get some meds, and be sure to have a driver with you.

For the radiation treatments, they wanted to strap my hands down to keep my shoulders down.  No thank-you.  I agreed to HOLD the straps tightly - and they were okay with that.  For each of the 30 treatments - I was medicated - but only one pill.  Have them keep talking to you - that helps alot.  I brought music to listen to each time - it took years before I could listen to that again.

You'll get through this - if you are at all worried - get some meds to calm you down.  It makes a huge difference.  Many of us used it for the radiation.

Lorna 2007 & 2014

• Kritter
    Kritter Member Posts: 147
    Options
    lornal said:

Mask

If your are claustropobic, get meds to help calm you down when you get the mask made.  That is a series of steps.  The first is to have the mask molded to your face and neck.  I asked that they not cover my eyes, and the just brought it up to my nose.  I have heard others say they wouldn't do that for them.  I had to have cork in my mouth.  That was bad enough, but then they wanted to make a tooth guard.  Fortunately, I didn't have any metal fillings, so I could skip that.  I only needed one or 2 valium for this.

The second part is going in a CT w/ the mask bolted to the table while they take measurements.  For this I needed 5 valium.  So, get some meds, and be sure to have a driver with you.

For the radiation treatments, they wanted to strap my hands down to keep my shoulders down.  No thank-you.  I agreed to HOLD the straps tightly - and they were okay with that.  For each of the 30 treatments - I was medicated - but only one pill.  Have them keep talking to you - that helps alot.  I brought music to listen to each time - it took years before I could listen to that again.

You'll get through this - if you are at all worried - get some meds to calm you down.  It makes a huge difference.  Many of us used it for the radiation.

Lorna 2007 & 2014

Mask

Thank you so much for explaining the Mask procedure to me. I have to have mine higher up as it is my nose and between my eys they need to readiate. 

Like you I don't think I would like to be strapped down.. I can handle the CT scan machine I went in but the closed MRI .. no way.. they are going to have to medicate me if I have to have that again. 

I am seeing the radiologist on Friday and I will talk with him about the meds.. This site has really calmed my fears talking with people who have went through this or going through it. I am also lucky I have a sweet and understnding husband who goes with me to all my appointments. 

How are you doing?

Kritter

• Montreal67
    Montreal67 Member Posts: 13
    Options
    And how are you doing today?

And how are you doing today?  Has everything been going since your last post? 

My husband had scc of the nasal cavity that was first treated with radiation (Curie therapy) which worked for about 2 months, then came back with a vengeance.  2 months ago he had a radical surgery that involved removing his nose completely, a portion of his maxillary bone and the lower eyelid, as well as other surrounding tissue.  The scans all showed that the cancer had not spread to his lymph nodes or any other parts of his body, but the tumor had eroded the skin, invaded the septum and touched the bone. It’s considered a stage 4A, moderately differentiated aggressive tumor but the biggest surprise of all was on the pathologists report with found there were 2 distinct tumors.  

It’s been something of a roller coaster ride; I'm glad that your husband is able to go through this with you!  I'm still trying to understand what all this means for the future: we try to remain in the present and hope for the best going forward.  His pathology report was very positive in that all his margins were clear but the words "Stage 4" continue to ring in my ears.  I'm constantly sifting through info and trying to absorb as much as I can.  Fingers crossed that this is the end of it!

Best wishes to you!!!  I hope you're recovering well!!!!

• CivilMatt
    CivilMatt Member Posts: 4,722 Member
    Options

And how are you doing today?

And how are you doing today?  Has everything been going since your last post? 

My husband had scc of the nasal cavity that was first treated with radiation (Curie therapy) which worked for about 2 months, then came back with a vengeance.  2 months ago he had a radical surgery that involved removing his nose completely, a portion of his maxillary bone and the lower eyelid, as well as other surrounding tissue.  The scans all showed that the cancer had not spread to his lymph nodes or any other parts of his body, but the tumor had eroded the skin, invaded the septum and touched the bone. It’s considered a stage 4A, moderately differentiated aggressive tumor but the biggest surprise of all was on the pathologists report with found there were 2 distinct tumors.  

It’s been something of a roller coaster ride; I'm glad that your husband is able to go through this with you!  I'm still trying to understand what all this means for the future: we try to remain in the present and hope for the best going forward.  His pathology report was very positive in that all his margins were clear but the words "Stage 4" continue to ring in my ears.  I'm constantly sifting through info and trying to absorb as much as I can.  Fingers crossed that this is the end of it!

Best wishes to you!!!  I hope you're recovering well!!!!

Kritter

Montreal67,

Unfortunately, Kritter has passed away.  She was a beautiful soul who fought hard.

Matt

• Montreal67
    Options
    CivilMatt said:

Kritter

Montreal67,

Unfortunately, Kritter has passed away.  She was a beautiful soul who fought hard.

Matt

I'm really sorry to hear of

I'm really sorry to hear of her passing!!  Do you know what happened?  I'm kind of at a loss for understanding what the progression of this disease is like.  

I guess my biggest fear is that it seems my husband grew another tumor after treatment and before the first one had healed, then the first one came back in no time.  Both eroded through the skin and this is automatically a stage 4A, even though he has no nodal involvement nor metastisis.  Doctors are rather cryptic on the details and most information that I come across on the internet is superficial.  

Really feel horrible for her and her family and friends.  Not an easy thing to go through!

• kdot2003
    kdot2003 Member Posts: 143
    Options
    Welcome

Hi Kritter, 

Welcome.  I dont have your type of cancer but I"m sure you'll find someone who does and so much good advice here.  I spent so many hours reading these posts.  Just to know youre not alone is a big help.  Best Wishes 

Karen

• Montreal67
    Options
    kdot2003 said:

Welcome

Hi Kritter, 

Welcome.  I dont have your type of cancer but I"m sure you'll find someone who does and so much good advice here.  I spent so many hours reading these posts.  Just to know youre not alone is a big help.  Best Wishes 

Karen

Thank you Karen!  Best wishes

Thank you Karen!  Best wishes to you as well!

• rcaulder
    rcaulder Member Posts: 70
    Options
    Thanks

This was a special member to me with her late night e-mails of encouragement who helped me get through my darkest hours of treatment last summer.  May she now rest in God's Mercy and Grace.