Medi-port removal timing?

Options
2»

Comments

• LaCh
    LaCh Member Posts: 557
    Options
    Port removal

The when's and whyfor's of port removal seem to vary based on individual medical opinion and capricious whim at best. Mine was painful from day one, I had an allergic reaction to the tape from day two, and the thing never stopped hurting during the entire six weeks that I had it in. Treatments ended on a Friday, the following Monday was a holiday, but the day after, out it came. Whatever the result of the chemo, I wasn't going to have any more, so why leave the blasted thing in there? 

• judyv3
    judyv3 Member Posts: 143 Member
    Options
    mp327 said:

Judy

It took a very long time for my WBC and RBC to come back into normal range.  My oncologist never seemed too concerned, but my internist was ready to send me off to a hematologist, which I refused.  They are now in normal range.  I am 6 years post treatment.

Blood work

Martha, I remember your saying that before (the last time I was worried about my counts, lol).  My oncologist is a hematologist as well.  Sometimes she talks about doing a bone marrow biopsy.  But the truth is, I feel good and that's got to count for something.  I don't have an appointment until October 2nd, so we'll see how things look then.

As always, thanks!

• mp327
    mp327 Member Posts: 4,440 Member
    Options
    judyv3 said:

Blood work

Martha, I remember your saying that before (the last time I was worried about my counts, lol).  My oncologist is a hematologist as well.  Sometimes she talks about doing a bone marrow biopsy.  But the truth is, I feel good and that's got to count for something.  I don't have an appointment until October 2nd, so we'll see how things look then.

As always, thanks!

Judy

I hope your blood work will be much improved on your October 2nd. visit.  I don't know that my blood work will ever be completely normal again, but as I said before, my oncologist does not seem to be concerned.  I know he would let me know if anything was too far out of whack!  Best wises to you on the 2nd!

• sephie
    sephie Member Posts: 650 Member
    Options
    only my experience

i had a picc line which hurt all the time and i hated it....but my point is that i had it pulled the next day after my last round of chemo ...pulled  on a saturday by the nurse at MD anderson.......i knew i was really ill but thought that it was normal for all the stuff i had been thru.....could not walk etc.... then went to oncologist on monday,,, he put me into ICU because i was so ill.....  i needed IV's in both arms for meds which was horrible ...kept blowing veins and etc..... if i had kept the picc line it would have been less painful and stressful.....took 2 years for the painful bumps in my arms to heal ...... soooooo dont take it out too soon but if you are checked by oncologist, he will know if you are too sick or not........ sephie

• Ouch_Ouch_Ouch
    Ouch_Ouch_Ouch Member Posts: 508 Member
    Options
    sephie said:

only my experience

i had a picc line which hurt all the time and i hated it....but my point is that i had it pulled the next day after my last round of chemo ...pulled  on a saturday by the nurse at MD anderson.......i knew i was really ill but thought that it was normal for all the stuff i had been thru.....could not walk etc.... then went to oncologist on monday,,, he put me into ICU because i was so ill.....  i needed IV's in both arms for meds which was horrible ...kept blowing veins and etc..... if i had kept the picc line it would have been less painful and stressful.....took 2 years for the painful bumps in my arms to heal ...... soooooo dont take it out too soon but if you are checked by oncologist, he will know if you are too sick or not........ sephie

Good grief!

sephie - I'm very sorry to hear about that period in your treatment. How awful!

• Ouch_Ouch_Ouch
    Ouch_Ouch_Ouch Member Posts: 508 Member
    Options
    LaCh said:

Port removal

The when's and whyfor's of port removal seem to vary based on individual medical opinion and capricious whim at best. Mine was painful from day one, I had an allergic reaction to the tape from day two, and the thing never stopped hurting during the entire six weeks that I had it in. Treatments ended on a Friday, the following Monday was a holiday, but the day after, out it came. Whatever the result of the chemo, I wasn't going to have any more, so why leave the blasted thing in there? 

LaCh - "Mine was painful from

LaCh - "Mine was painful from day one, I had an allergic reaction to the tape from day two, and the thing never stopped hurting"

This describes my experience, too. I still have brown post-traumatic hyper-pigmentation marks on my neck from the clear plastic square the radiologist put on me, where it's nice and visible to all. The only difference between us is that in addition I have a kitty who loves to use my sore port as a trampoline. Boing! OUCH!!!!!