Had my post chemo scan with disappointing results

scatsm
scatsm Member Posts: 296 Member

After 6 miserable rounds of carbo/gemzar/avastin my ca125 is 5...good, no? The scan, however, still shows tumors. While smaller by half, they are still there. The 64 thousand dollar question is....are they cancer, are they scar tissue or are the tumors still gonna shrink? The answer is...don't know, come back in 3 months, redo ca125 and CT and then we'll know more.

I was so disappointed...and scared.

Comments

• NoTimeForCancer
    NoTimeForCancer Member Posts: 3,352 Member
    I am so sorry to hear this. 

I am so sorry to hear this.  I continue to pray for you and all the ladies here. I wish there was something I could say to help you right now.

• ovarian_support
    ovarian_support Member Posts: 44
    Sorry to hear that

Sorry to hear you scan wasn't clear, waiting for results sucks, we are waiting for my mom's ct scan to see if she remains on the study.  Apparently it takes 2 weeks to read it. Go figure.  Is there anything they can do to get results sooner like a biopsy?  I'm praying that your scan only showed scar tissue.

• lovesanimals
    lovesanimals Member Posts: 1,366 Member

Sorry to hear that

Sorry to hear you scan wasn't clear, waiting for results sucks, we are waiting for my mom's ct scan to see if she remains on the study.  Apparently it takes 2 weeks to read it. Go figure.  Is there anything they can do to get results sooner like a biopsy?  I'm praying that your scan only showed scar tissue.

Darn it

I wish the scan had shown that your insides are squeaky clean but smaller by half is not bad.  Sending lots of prayers your way for an excellent outcome to your next CT scan.

Hugs,

Kelly

• Alexandra
    Alexandra Member Posts: 1,308
    It's not bad

Susan, I agree with Kelly. The fact that the tumors shrunk by half as well as normal CA125 prove that chemo worked. It's hard, but try not to think about it too much till the next scan.

Warm hugs!

• Jue
    Jue Member Posts: 80
     Your ca125 is fab and at a

Your ca125 is fab and at a level I can only hope for, I'm Keeping everything crossed in the next 3 months that the tumors  Continue to shrink, I understand your disappointment after going through all that chemo And am sending you best wishes Susan . Jue

• Susan P
    Susan P Member Posts: 103
    Jue said:

Your ca125 is fab and at a

Your ca125 is fab and at a level I can only hope for, I'm Keeping everything crossed in the next 3 months that the tumors  Continue to shrink, I understand your disappointment after going through all that chemo And am sending you best wishes Susan . Jue

disappointing results

Hi Susan - I can't speak from experience yet on dealing  with a recurrence which I understand will be very likely - but we are being carefully monitored - as others have said your CA# is grr-grr-great and marked shrinkage  I know your logic recognized it - but emotionally you were hoping for NED to make an appearance and he stood you up. what a turkey & you worked so hard for it - did wha tyou were supossed to to endured all the ulkkies to make room for NED

you are a strong,bright fighter  we can't quit - none of us --  after all we don't call it FIGHTING cancer cuz it's a picnic.

For now - get over your latest chemo yukkies & hit the ground running & enjoy the "feel good" time you'll have right now

we all undersstand how you can have good news & still be disappointed your hopes & dreams did not materialize.

I once had a wise,young speech therapist -(after my stroke) give me a profound piece of advice "God's delay isn't necessisarily his denial ---  hang in there & have attalk with Susan - to help her get things into perspective at this new stage ofd your fight/ journey.

Best wishes & love comming your way, Buddy

Susan P

from Alberta Canada WY & TX

• scatsm
    thanks for the good advice and kind words

Susan, you are right. I feel stood up by Ned...what a fickle guy he is...

You all have reminded me that that the news was good, just not great and that I need to focus on today...and today I feel pretty good!

It is so comforting  to be able to share with people who get it...

xoxo Susan

• wholfmeister
    wholfmeister Member Posts: 315
    scatsm said:

thanks for the good advice and kind words

Susan, you are right. I feel stood up by Ned...what a fickle guy he is...

You all have reminded me that that the news was good, just not great and that I need to focus on today...and today I feel pretty good!

It is so comforting  to be able to share with people who get it...

xoxo Susan

Perspective changes with a little time

By now I hope you are realizing an amazing CA125 and all tumors shrunk by half is not bad.

You feel good.  Get out there and live it up!

• JoWin615
    JoWin615 Member Posts: 150 Member
    Just wondering...

Hi Susan,

Was your scan a PET/CT?  And if so, was anything "glowing"?

My thoughts and best wishes are with you as you endure the eternal waiting game. 

Hugs,

Jo

• poopergirl14052
    poopergirl14052 Member Posts: 1,183 Member
    JoWin615 said:

Just wondering...

Hi Susan,

Was your scan a PET/CT?  And if so, was anything "glowing"?

My thoughts and best wishes are with you as you endure the eternal waiting game. 

Hugs,

Jo

Scans

sounds good to me....TAKE THE LEAP OF FAITH and enjoy your chemo break. Take each day one day at a time....Ca125 number is wonderful...stay strong...Val 

• scatsm
    Jo, it was a CT

not a PET. I've never had one, actually. This was just the followup CT after chemo...showed tumors cut in half but not gone so not NED.

Having some success in putting this out of my mind til December. 4 weeks out of chemo and got to go back to pilates class..that felt good!