Sore throat 5 months after radiation

Options
lcannady
lcannady Member Posts: 7
edited August 2014 in Head and Neck Cancer #1

I have a sore throat for 3 weeks. It has been 5 months since my last radiation treatment. ENT has put me on a 3 week regimen of antibiotics still no relief. Also I have a tickle in my throat that results in me coughing up a clear mucous. ENT says next thing is a CAT scan. has anyone else had this problem before? I had vocal chord cancer with 42 weeks of radiation. 

Comments

• longtermsurvivor
    longtermsurvivor Member Posts: 1,842 Member
    Options
    lots of us have had this

and it generally isn't cancer which causes the throat problems, still so soon out from radiation.   thrush is still common during the first year or so after rads.  Keep the faith. 

Pat

• lcannady
    Options

lots of us have had this

and it generally isn't cancer which causes the throat problems, still so soon out from radiation.   thrush is still common during the first year or so after rads.  Keep the faith. 

Pat

Thanks Pat, I appreciate that

Thanks Pat, I appreciate that info. My ENT is a really good one and I think he will get me the answers I need. It is just very scary when you have pain in your throat after having the vocal chord cancer. Oncologist just kinda of blew it off saying everything looks fine and you had a very curable disease. 

Lisa

• Jeff2159
    Jeff2159 Member Posts: 108
    Options
    Rads

they mess with you and it seems we are told of the side effects but they do not dwell on them. I had to deal with lymphodemia for 6 months following treatment and still cannot swallow food other than pureed food. Radiation may work but it is nasty stuff. 42 weeks is a long time for treatment.

good luck

Jeff

• lcannady
    Options
    Jeff2159 said:

Rads

they mess with you and it seems we are told of the side effects but they do not dwell on them. I had to deal with lymphodemia for 6 months following treatment and still cannot swallow food other than pureed food. Radiation may work but it is nasty stuff. 42 weeks is a long time for treatment.

good luck

Jeff

Jeff,
    Oh my 42 weeks would be

Jeff,

Oh my 42 weeks would be a long time!!! I meant 42 treatments. Good luck to you too. Sometimes I think they think it is all in your head. You know what your body is telling you not them. 

Lisa

• debbiejeanne
    debbiejeanne Member Posts: 3,102 Member
    Options
    hi, sorry you are having

hi, sorry you are having problems.  just wanted to say that my rad tx ended 10/22/09 for laynx cancer.  in jan 2012 i had a cough again (only sympton of cancer in 2009).  saw ent and he didn't see anything.  cough persisted so he scoped me, still didn't see anything but did a biopsy in 2/2012.  came back positive, cancer had returned so had laryngectomy 2/28/12.  it probably isnt' cancer so soon after tx but i'd keep track of how long that cough lasts and insiste on scope it if persist.  praying everything turns out good for you.

God bless,

dj

• lcannady
    Options

hi, sorry you are having

hi, sorry you are having problems.  just wanted to say that my rad tx ended 10/22/09 for laynx cancer.  in jan 2012 i had a cough again (only sympton of cancer in 2009).  saw ent and he didn't see anything.  cough persisted so he scoped me, still didn't see anything but did a biopsy in 2/2012.  came back positive, cancer had returned so had laryngectomy 2/28/12.  it probably isnt' cancer so soon after tx but i'd keep track of how long that cough lasts and insiste on scope it if persist.  praying everything turns out good for you.

God bless,

dj

Thanks DJ, my ENT gave me a

Thanks DJ, my ENT gave me a prescription for thrush today, hoping that is the answer!!!

• lcannady
    Options

lots of us have had this

Pat

Thrush it was!!!!

Pat, ENT seems to think itmis thrush!!! Thanks

• debbiejeanne
    debbiejeanne Member Posts: 3,102 Member
    Options
    lcannady said:

Thanks DJ, my ENT gave me a prescription for thrush today, hoping that is the answer!!!

FANTASTIC!!  I'll take thrush

FANTASTIC!!  I'll take thrush all day long  :0)

dj

• longtermsurvivor
    longtermsurvivor Member Posts: 1,842 Member
    Options
    lcannady said:

Thrush it was!!!!

Pat, ENT seems to think itmis thrush!!! Thanks

that's great

glad to hear it.

Pat

• ErthWlkr
    ErthWlkr Member Posts: 60
    Options
    lcannady said:

Preventing thrush...

Hi Lisa:

I had my first case of thrush several months after I finished treatment as well. My dentist saw it and put me on an antifungal - an antibiotic won't do the job.

It's an unfortunate side effect of the treatment - radiation tends to damage the mucosal tissue of the mouth and that affects saliva production. Saliva is what we need to keep the balance in our mouth and prevent these types of infections. Who would have known spit was one of our best defenses!

The best preventative is to keep your mouth as clean as possible. Brush your teeth after every meal and if it's ok for you, get your self a non-alcohol (most important) mouthwash thats has both antibacterial and anticavity properties. I've always recommended Crest Complete and can be bought in any drugstore or supermarket.

Try to keep your sugar use down and keep liquids handy when you eat. Avoid alcohol as well until you start getting some saliva back.

Hope this helps!

- Jeff

• lcannady
    Options
    ErthWlkr said:

Preventing thrush...

Hi Lisa:

I had my first case of thrush several months after I finished treatment as well. My dentist saw it and put me on an antifungal - an antibiotic won't do the job.

It's an unfortunate side effect of the treatment - radiation tends to damage the mucosal tissue of the mouth and that affects saliva production. Saliva is what we need to keep the balance in our mouth and prevent these types of infections. Who would have known spit was one of our best defenses!

The best preventative is to keep your mouth as clean as possible. Brush your teeth after every meal and if it's ok for you, get your self a non-alcohol (most important) mouthwash thats has both antibacterial and anticavity properties. I've always recommended Crest Complete and can be bought in any drugstore or supermarket.

Try to keep your sugar use down and keep liquids handy when you eat. Avoid alcohol as well until you start getting some saliva back.

Hope this helps!

- Jeff

Thanks Jeff

It was diflucan not an antibiotic, I don't know what I was thinking!! Lol!!! Was your thrush way down in your throat? I don't have any in my mouth , just my throat.

• Jeff2159
    Jeff2159 Member Posts: 108
    Options
    ErthWlkr said:

Preventing thrush...

Hi Lisa:

Hope this helps!

- Jeff

Mouth wash

Biotene helps in keeping your mouth clean.  My mouth is very sensitive and Biotene is not too bad. Sometimes it burns my mouth and sometimes I have no problems. Wish I knew why it burns sometimes and sometimes not but its better for me than other brands

Jeff