Endometrial vs UPSC

I'm getting myself confused.  Need some help out there sisters.  My first pathology report shows the words Endometrial and serous.  The GYN that did my colposcopy said I had Endometrial cancer.  Looked small and they felt it was caught early.    I get to the GYN Onc. and he tells me I have a rare type of uterine cancer.  UPSC

Still being confused, I asked if I had two different types of cancer or one.  They said one.  So is UPSC an offshoot of endometrial or are they two different ones.  

I keep reading stuff and now I've gotten my brain totally confused.    Would someone help me understand please?

Thanks,    Jeanette

Comments

• Debra Lagrone
    Debra Lagrone Member Posts: 37
    I would like to know

Hi Jeanette,  how funny, I have been wondering the same thing, I have stage IIIC2 endometriosis  and UPSC sounds like my cancer, so i hope we both get the answer to your question.   I will keep in touch and if I get the answer I will make sure you do as we'lll.

• It happened to Me
    It happened to Me Member Posts: 206 Member

I would like to know

Hi Jeanette,  how funny, I have been wondering the same thing, I have stage IIIC2 endometriosis  and UPSC sounds like my cancer, so i hope we both get the answer to your question.   I will keep in touch and if I get the answer I will make sure you do as we'lll.

Thanks Debra

It usually works that way, one person will post something and then someone will post and say they were thinking the same thing.  There's no stupid question.  I have Stage IIIA UPSC.   My doctor implied it was the same thing only a more defined diagnosis but reading all these posts on this site makes me really wonder. 

I have no doubt that we will get a response that we can understand from this group.  I love these women and all their knowledge and their encouragement and love.

We are the richer for it.       Jeanette

• Kaleena
    Kaleena Member Posts: 2,088 Member
    Types of Uterine

Jeanette,

I too was and still am confused about this.  From what I understand, there are five types of uterine cancers

• Endometrioid adenocarcinoma: This type of uterine cancer forms in the glandular cells of the uterine lining. It accounts for as much as 75 percent of all uterine cancers. Endometrioid adenocarcinoma is commonly detected early and has a high cure rate.
    • Clear cell adenocarcinoma: About 5 percent of uterine cancers are of this type, which is primarily diagnosed in women who were exposed in utero to an estrogen drug known as diethylstilbestrol (DES). From 1938 to 1971, DES was prescribed to some pregnant women to prevent miscarriage. The female children of women exposed to DES have an increased risk of rare types of uterine, cervical, and vaginal cancers. This form of adenocarcinoma tends to recur (come back after treatment) or metastasize (spread) to other areas of the body.
    • Serous adenocarcinoma: These tumors are more likely to spread to lymph nodes and other parts of the body. About 10 percent of uterine cancers diagnosed are of this type.
    • Adenosquamous carcinoma: This rare form of uterine cancer has elements of both adenocarcinoma and carcinoma of the squamous cells that line the outer surface of the uterus.
    • Carcinomasarcoma: This rare form of uterine cancer was previously thought to be a type of uterine sarcoma. However, it is now felt to be an endometrial cancer. It has elements of both adenocarcinoma and sarcoma. These tumors have a high risk of spread to lymph nodes and other parts of the body.

Serous Adenocarcinoma is the one that is (I believe) is UPSC  (Uterine papillary serous carcinoma)

Also, I hope this may explain it more:

Uterine papillary serous carcinoma (UPSC) is a clinically and pathologically distinct subtype of endometrial cancer. Although less common than its endometrioid carcinoma (EEC) counterpart.

I hope this helps.

Kathy

PS   Endometrial Adenocarcinoma is usually  found in woman over the age of 55.   However, I was 45 when diagnosed which is unusually.   Further Lynch Syndrome sometimes is the cause to getting this earlier (however, not in my case). 

• Kaleena
    Here's another insert

UPSC is morphologically and genetically different from EEC. Women often present with postmenopausal vaginal bleeding, but may also present with abnormal cervical cytology, ascites, or a pelvic mass. In some cases, the diagnosis may be made with endometrial biopsy, while in other cases it is not made until the time of definitive surgery. Metastatic disease is common and best identified via comprehensive surgical staging. Local and distant recurrences occur frequently, with extra-pelvic relapses reported most commonly. Optimal cytoreduction and adjuvant platinum/taxane-based chemotherapy appear to improve survival, while adjuvant radiotherapy may contribute to loco-regional disease control. 

This was taken from an article dated May 7, 2009 from  https://www.sgo.org/wp-content/uploads/2012/11/Management-of-Women-with-Uterine-Papillary-Serous-Cancer.pdf

Also this article is older, you can get a basis from it.  But as you know, things change.

My best to you.

Kathy

• pinky104
    pinky104 Member Posts: 574 Member
    Endometrial cancer

To say it more simply, the endometrium is the mucous membrane that lines the inside of the uterus.  The word endometrial comes from the word endometrium.  In general, the term endometrial cancer is loosely used to refer to uterine cancer.  It's my understanding that uterine cancer usually (or maybe always) starts in the endometrium, and as it gets worse, it starts to go into deeper layers of the uterus, like the muscle, and eventually also spreads to other places outside of the uterus.  How far it has gone determines the stage of the cancer.  UPSC is one particularly aggressive type of uterine cancer, and the most aggressive cancers are considered grade 3, which is what UPSC is.  It's not the only grade 3 type of uterine cancer, from what I understand.

If your cancer spreads from the uterus to other organs, it's still considered uterine cancer based upon where it starts, not where it goes.  The places it goes to are considered metastases (secondary cancers).  You can also get another primary type of cancer besides UPSC in other places.  If the doctors look at the cells in it under the microscope and decide it's another type of cancer, you could be considered to have two types of cancer at the same time.  For example, if the cells show different types of cancer, you could have breast cancer and uterine cancer at the same time.  If, on the other hand, the uterine cancer spreads to the breast, it would all be considered uterine cancer but the uterine cancer would be considered metastatic to the breast.  It all depends upon what the cells look like under the microscope as to whether it's considered one type with a metastasis or two completely different types.  You can even have two different types of cancer in one particular site.  My mother had two different types of cancer in one breast.

There are common patterns that are followed by the various types of cancer as to where they spread.  We often hear of spread to the lungs for uterine cancer, for example.  When I was having hip problems last year, my orthopedic surgeon told me that he would do an x-ray to look for a metastasis, but that it would be very unlikely to have spread to the hip, as uterine cancer only rarely spreads to the bones. 

When I was waiting for my results from my surgery, a panel of doctors called a tumor board had to decide where mine started.  At first, they thought it started in the ovaries, but then they decided it started in the uterus and spread to the ovaries, the omentum, and the small intestine. I'm not quite sure how they can tell that, if it's based on a certain appearance of the cells, the size of the mass, or if they do some kind of DNA analysis.  My gyn/onc led me to believe it was a matter of opinion between the doctors and the majority ruled so I'm guessing it's something that isn't all that specific.  

If I'm wrong on any of this, please let me know.   

• It happened to Me
    Kaleena said:

Types of Uterine

Jeanette,

I too was and still am confused about this.  From what I understand, there are five types of uterine cancers

• Endometrioid adenocarcinoma: This type of uterine cancer forms in the glandular cells of the uterine lining. It accounts for as much as 75 percent of all uterine cancers. Endometrioid adenocarcinoma is commonly detected early and has a high cure rate.
    • Clear cell adenocarcinoma: About 5 percent of uterine cancers are of this type, which is primarily diagnosed in women who were exposed in utero to an estrogen drug known as diethylstilbestrol (DES). From 1938 to 1971, DES was prescribed to some pregnant women to prevent miscarriage. The female children of women exposed to DES have an increased risk of rare types of uterine, cervical, and vaginal cancers. This form of adenocarcinoma tends to recur (come back after treatment) or metastasize (spread) to other areas of the body.
    • Serous adenocarcinoma: These tumors are more likely to spread to lymph nodes and other parts of the body. About 10 percent of uterine cancers diagnosed are of this type.
    • Adenosquamous carcinoma: This rare form of uterine cancer has elements of both adenocarcinoma and carcinoma of the squamous cells that line the outer surface of the uterus.
    • Carcinomasarcoma: This rare form of uterine cancer was previously thought to be a type of uterine sarcoma. However, it is now felt to be an endometrial cancer. It has elements of both adenocarcinoma and sarcoma. These tumors have a high risk of spread to lymph nodes and other parts of the body.

Serous Adenocarcinoma is the one that is (I believe) is UPSC  (Uterine papillary serous carcinoma)

Also, I hope this may explain it more:

Uterine papillary serous carcinoma (UPSC) is a clinically and pathologically distinct subtype of endometrial cancer. Although less common than its endometrioid carcinoma (EEC) counterpart.

I hope this helps.

Kathy

PS   Endometrial Adenocarcinoma is usually  found in woman over the age of 55.   However, I was 45 when diagnosed which is unusually.   Further Lynch Syndrome sometimes is the cause to getting this earlier (however, not in my case). 

Well

I guess what you are saying is:     Broad name is:  Uterine Cancer     That breaks down to the five types that you described above.   Then within those five, some of them can be broken down even further which UPSC is the third rung down from the top rung being Uterine Cancer.    If that is what you are saying, then I understand.

I didn't realize there were five different kinds of Uterine Cancer.  Thank you for that explanation.  

Jeanette

• It happened to Me
    pinky104 said:

Endometrial cancer

To say it more simply, the endometrium is the mucous membrane that lines the inside of the uterus.  The word endometrial comes from the word endometrium.  In general, the term endometrial cancer is loosely used to refer to uterine cancer.  It's my understanding that uterine cancer usually (or maybe always) starts in the endometrium, and as it gets worse, it starts to go into deeper layers of the uterus, like the muscle, and eventually also spreads to other places outside of the uterus.  How far it has gone determines the stage of the cancer.  UPSC is one particularly aggressive type of uterine cancer, and the most aggressive cancers are considered grade 3, which is what UPSC is.  It's not the only grade 3 type of uterine cancer, from what I understand.

If your cancer spreads from the uterus to other organs, it's still considered uterine cancer based upon where it starts, not where it goes.  The places it goes to are considered metastases (secondary cancers).  You can also get another primary type of cancer besides UPSC in other places.  If the doctors look at the cells in it under the microscope and decide it's another type of cancer, you could be considered to have two types of cancer at the same time.  For example, if the cells show different types of cancer, you could have breast cancer and uterine cancer at the same time.  If, on the other hand, the uterine cancer spreads to the breast, it would all be considered uterine cancer but the uterine cancer would be considered metastatic to the breast.  It all depends upon what the cells look like under the microscope as to whether it's considered one type with a metastasis or two completely different types.  You can even have two different types of cancer in one particular site.  My mother had two different types of cancer in one breast.

There are common patterns that are followed by the various types of cancer as to where they spread.  We often hear of spread to the lungs for uterine cancer, for example.  When I was having hip problems last year, my orthopedic surgeon told me that he would do an x-ray to look for a metastasis, but that it would be very unlikely to have spread to the hip, as uterine cancer only rarely spreads to the bones. 

When I was waiting for my results from my surgery, a panel of doctors called a tumor board had to decide where mine started.  At first, they thought it started in the ovaries, but then they decided it started in the uterus and spread to the ovaries, the omentum, and the small intestine. I'm not quite sure how they can tell that, if it's based on a certain appearance of the cells, the size of the mass, or if they do some kind of DNA analysis.  My gyn/onc led me to believe it was a matter of opinion between the doctors and the majority ruled so I'm guessing it's something that isn't all that specific.  

If I'm wrong on any of this, please let me know.   

Thanks

Thanks Pinky.  I was kinda understanding about the endometrium but wasn't understanding if those two were the same or different.  The way I understand it now, is that one is a sub-type of the other all considered Uterine being the top rung of the ladder.

Yeah, the doctors told me that UPSC typically recurs in the lungs if it recurs.

Jeanette

• pinky104
    pinky104 Member Posts: 574 Member

Thanks

Thanks Pinky.  I was kinda understanding about the endometrium but wasn't understanding if those two were the same or different.  The way I understand it now, is that one is a sub-type of the other all considered Uterine being the top rung of the ladder.

Yeah, the doctors told me that UPSC typically recurs in the lungs if it recurs.

Jeanette

You're right, It happened to Me

You're welcome, and you're right about uterine being at the top of the ladder.  I've seen a number of people mention metastases to the lungs on here, so that does seem to be the pattern.

• soul-mate
    soul-mate Member Posts: 82
    pinky104 said:

You're right, It happened to Me

You're welcome, and you're right about uterine being at the top of the ladder.  I've seen a number of people mention metastases to the lungs on here, so that does seem to be the pattern.

Unlikely but Possible

There is always a possibility as my wife was diagnosed with endometrial andenocarcinoma and had no signs of post menopopausal symptoms till her cancer was mestastasized to all bones and now to brain  . When you read statistics this is rare but happens . All I want to point out, you know your body and if bones hurt push for test to eliminate mets and don't let dr. tell you it's unlikely. I wish all here the best.

SOUL-MATE

• It happened to Me
    soul-mate said:

Unlikely but Possible

There is always a possibility as my wife was diagnosed with endometrial andenocarcinoma and had no signs of post menopopausal symptoms till her cancer was mestastasized to all bones and now to brain  . When you read statistics this is rare but happens . All I want to point out, you know your body and if bones hurt push for test to eliminate mets and don't let dr. tell you it's unlikely. I wish all here the best.

SOUL-MATE

I'm so Sorry Soul-mate

To hear about your wife.  That is awful.  I know Uterine cancer is sneaky.  And to see that it's already mestastasized to the bones and now the brain breaks my heart.  Thank you for pointing out that we need to push our doctors at times.  I will pray for your wife.    Thank you for posting.

• survivingsu
    survivingsu Member Posts: 134 Member
    Not sure...

I was told I had a very rare and aggressive form of cancer back in 2009, not sure where it fits in with the 5 kinds listed: it was "small-cell undifferentiated carcinoma".  I was also told I had three different kinds of cancer cells going on, and my treatment protocol was for the aggressive form.  Any ideas what kind this would be?

Thanks,

Susan

• Kaleena

Not sure...

I was told I had a very rare and aggressive form of cancer back in 2009, not sure where it fits in with the 5 kinds listed: it was "small-cell undifferentiated carcinoma".  I was also told I had three different kinds of cancer cells going on, and my treatment protocol was for the aggressive form.  Any ideas what kind this would be?

Thanks,

Susan

Types of Uterine

Susan

There is also something called MMMT.  With my original diagnosis, they weren't sure whether or not that was mine.    However, it was ruled out although they never did find out where mine originated from.   (Malignant Mixed Mullerian Tumor)      I believe these are considered carcinosarcomas.   not carcinoma.   Sarcomas are more aggressive than carcinomas.   Although I had listed the five types, there are many many more.   It depends upon whether the epithelial cells or other cells are effected, ie:  the small cells

carcinoma (cancer showing epithelial differentiation)   sarcoma (cancer showing mesenchymal differentiation) MMMT has both of these compoenents.  So many women's uterine cancers fall into the five catagories, others fall into others.   Since your small-cells were affected that is may be why you were told it was rare.

Was your cancer found around your cervix?   I believe your type has to do with the neuroendocrine system.  

Of course, this is only my understanding from what I have experienced or have read.  If anyone else has any information on this, it would be helpful.

My best to you Susan.

Kathy

• survivingsu
    survivingsu Member Posts: 134 Member
    Many thanks Kathy!
    :o)

Many thanks Kathy!

:o)

• Debra Lagrone
    Uterine cancer

Hi Jeanette,   I am on the same discussion board as you under uterine cancer.

• Michaelynn
    Michaelynn Member Posts: 85 Member
    I have both cancers

When i first saw the oncologist he said I had 2 kinds of uterine cancer. The garden variety as he called it endrometrial cancer (which would need no treatment if that was all I had) and the  serous cancer which he said was very aggressive and that I needed chemo and radiation. Mine was in the uterous and was 1/4 the way through the uterine wall. And thats also what it said on my pathology report a mixure of both cancers. Hopes this helps.

• SettledSue
    SettledSue Member Posts: 55 Member

I have both cancers

When i first saw the oncologist he said I had 2 kinds of uterine cancer. The garden variety as he called it endrometrial cancer (which would need no treatment if that was all I had) and the  serous cancer which he said was very aggressive and that I needed chemo and radiation. Mine was in the uterous and was 1/4 the way through the uterine wall. And thats also what it said on my pathology report a mixure of both cancers. Hopes this helps.

Endometroid Endometrial Cancer

I think that one thing that may be causing confusion is that the "garden variety" type of endometrial cancer is called Endometroid Endometrial cancer. It is almost like saying the same word twice. I have clear cell endometrial cancer, which is an aggressive Grade 3 type of endometrial cancer. 

Sue

• It happened to Me

I have both cancers

Now I'm really confused

So, does endometrial cells turn into serous?   Has anyone else heard that they are two different types of cancers?  But all being Uterine?  My ob/gyn onc. said that it was the same only serous is a sub-type so to speak.

Jeanette

• Debra Lagrone

Now I'm really confused

So, does endometrial cells turn into serous?   Has anyone else heard that they are two different types of cancers?  But all being Uterine?  My ob/gyn onc. said that it was the same only serous is a sub-type so to speak.

Jeanette

2 different cancers

Hi Jeanette,  yes I have 2 types of cancer endometriod cancer and serous, I am stage IIIC2 Grade 3.  I know it is crazy...

It is a very aggressive type cancer.

talk to you soon

Debra L

• It happened to Me

2 different cancers

Hi Jeanette,  yes I have 2 types of cancer endometriod cancer and serous, I am stage IIIC2 Grade 3.  I know it is crazy...

It is a very aggressive type cancer.

talk to you soon

Debra L

Well

I've concluded that this type of cancer is way more complicated and has way more possibilites than I am understanding.  So, I've decided that I'm not going to try to figure it out.  My doctor said that I have USPC, so I'm going with that.  That's bad enough.    I'm more visual, so drawing pictures or describing things that I can visually see.  Thanks ladies for all the input.  I may ask the doctor again to be sure that I understood him correctly.   We are SURVIVORS!!!!

Jeanette