Mayo Clinic Rochester and Modified Radical Neck Dissection

I'm wondering how many of you received treatment at Mayo?  My ENT already scheduled me for Wednesday with another ENT in Bismarck to consult about my modified radical neck dissection.

I wanted to go to Mayo but was told that this was already scheduled so why change it now, the sooner I get in the better.  But the health care professional who told me this also stated that her friend who is a nurse went to Mayo and was not impressed with the ENT department.   ???!!

I'm wondering if she views my cancer as a piece of paper that is now turned over in her workload (appt. already scheduled) and doesn't want to have to do more work or if she really believes that the ENT in Bismarck, ND is better than the Mayo Clinic.

If any of you have had this procedure, PLEASE share your experience with me.  I'm suppose to have that then go right into radiaion treatment.

Thank you all so much,

Shell

Comments

• CivilMatt
    CivilMatt Member Posts: 4,722 Member
    mayo?

Shell,

For me it was a Jugular vein dissection.  Little pain, hidden scar, numb neck, not too bad.

Matt

• donfoo
    donfoo Member Posts: 1,771 Member
    decisions...

There is general agreement that being treated at a designated CCC (Comprehensive Cancer Center) is the better choice if this is available to you. Here is the list of national/international recognized facilities. MD Anderson and Johns Hopkins are among the very best. All on the list are very well respected.

http://www.nccn.org/patients/about/member_institutions/qualities.aspx

My own view is if your cancer is not unusual or with special circumstances then a local option is reasonable when factoring in the level of disruption to your living patterns. For some the hardship of spending up to a couple months away is just too much. Radiation is typically 7 weeks of daily treatment. Surgery is another trip of a week or more.

Here is a post about CCCs

Good luck

Don

• wmc
    wmc Member Posts: 1,804
    In my opion YES there is a

In my opion YES there is a reason to change and go to the Mayo Clinic. It is National Ranked #1  That is pretty hard to beat. I did not see one in ND that is National Ranked. Some are considered very good just not at a National ranking. It does matter.If you can go to A good National Ranked it is in "Your best intrest" to do so. They deal with this all the time. They have Tumor boards which is; You are seen by all the doctors at one time and they, together decide what is the best treatment for YOU. You are seen By ENT surgen which is often the ONC surgen, ONC surgens, ONC RAD, Pathology, Radialogy DR. just to read the X-rays, Nutritionist, and anesthesiologist. Hear is a link to see the National ranked hospitals: http://health.usnews.com/best-hospitals/rankings/ear-nose-and-throat

I when to Stanford In California, it is 215 miles away but it is #9 ENT and #10 Cancer. I saw the Dr I wanted to or was hoped to. He is the Head DR, Surgen Onc, Surgen and neurosurgen, and his team was the best for me. I had to have a laryngectomy [ there is only 60,000 Larys in the US Total] and they do many every year, so they new how to take care of the special needs I would have. They keept my across from the nurse's station because I could not talk and could stop breathing if I got [I Did] get a mucus plug which I got out. It blocked over 80% of my air way. I was taught how to handle all the speciat needs. My Dr called Stanford and said I was urgent [which was true I was asperating] and I was there the next week. They made arrangements for my wife and son to stay across from the hospital at an appartment with kitchen and fully furnished at a redused rate, very redused. 

You have to do and go where you feel is the Best for you and your insurance will do. Get the best you can, it payes off in the long run with much less problems.

Below is a snapshot on the Mayo Clinic;

National RankHospitalU.S. News Score

Mayo Clinic

Rochester, MN

See Ear, Nose & Throat scorecard

Ranked in Minnesota

100.0 / 100

Mayo Clinic

Rochester, MN

See Cancer scorecard

Ranked in Minnesota

93.4 / 100

Best of luck

Bill

• Guzzle
    Guzzle Member Posts: 710
    wmc said:

In my opion YES there is a

In my opion YES there is a reason to change and go to the Mayo Clinic. It is National Ranked #1  That is pretty hard to beat. I did not see one in ND that is National Ranked. Some are considered very good just not at a National ranking. It does matter.If you can go to A good National Ranked it is in "Your best intrest" to do so. They deal with this all the time. They have Tumor boards which is; You are seen by all the doctors at one time and they, together decide what is the best treatment for YOU. You are seen By ENT surgen which is often the ONC surgen, ONC surgens, ONC RAD, Pathology, Radialogy DR. just to read the X-rays, Nutritionist, and anesthesiologist. Hear is a link to see the National ranked hospitals: http://health.usnews.com/best-hospitals/rankings/ear-nose-and-throat

I when to Stanford In California, it is 215 miles away but it is #9 ENT and #10 Cancer. I saw the Dr I wanted to or was hoped to. He is the Head DR, Surgen Onc, Surgen and neurosurgen, and his team was the best for me. I had to have a laryngectomy [ there is only 60,000 Larys in the US Total] and they do many every year, so they new how to take care of the special needs I would have. They keept my across from the nurse's station because I could not talk and could stop breathing if I got [I Did] get a mucus plug which I got out. It blocked over 80% of my air way. I was taught how to handle all the speciat needs. My Dr called Stanford and said I was urgent [which was true I was asperating] and I was there the next week. They made arrangements for my wife and son to stay across from the hospital at an appartment with kitchen and fully furnished at a redused rate, very redused. 

You have to do and go where you feel is the Best for you and your insurance will do. Get the best you can, it payes off in the long run with much less problems.

Below is a snapshot on the Mayo Clinic;

National RankHospitalU.S. News Score

Mayo Clinic

Rochester, MN

See Ear, Nose & Throat scorecard

Ranked in Minnesota

100.0 / 100

Mayo Clinic

Rochester, MN

See Cancer scorecard

Ranked in Minnesota

93.4 / 100

Best of luck

Bill

Logic

Cant argue with that logic. Very best of luck on your journey from UK. G.

• hwt
    hwt Member Posts: 2,328 Member
    Guzzle said:

Logic

Cant argue with that logic. Very best of luck on your journey from UK. G.

Shell

My original surgery, rads & chemo in 2012 were in St Louis at Barnes.I now go to Mayo in Rochester.  Can't say enough good about Mayo. They consulted with MD Anderson on what was best for me and worked with a local ONC here in St Louis for my recent chemo. If  had it to do over again, I would have started there in 2012.   They are very efficient. If you travel, they work with you to fit everything in the shortest possible timeframe. It is run like a well oiled ship and so clean. Like it was placed in the middle of Mayberry USA, you can walk the streets at 3am and feel safe. If you opt for Mayo, msg. me and I will give you my input on best place to stay.

I go back 09/09 and 09/10 for PET and appts.

Candi