Stage IV GE Junction, metastasis

gkelly
gkelly Member Posts: 10

My husband is an otherwise healty 64 year old who was diagnosed with Stage III, N1, M0 in Feb 2013. He had the standard protocol chemo for this, then radiation. Surgery removed the tumor and several nodes in October at UAB. He did really well, then did the follow up chemo starting in Jan (I think--I'm a bit scattered right now). Was feeling pretty good. A scan in early June showed a couple of nodes, follow up scan confirmed

We just returned from the oncologist. He has Stage IV, it's spread to more nodes in his chest, to his lung, to his neck and to her peritoneal area.

Our choices:

Try Cyramza (ramucirumab) recently approved by the FDA to treat this type of cancer when other chemo has failed. In clinical trials it prolonged life for about 1.5 months longer than a placebo.

Try (again) a combination chemo already used, or an oral one already used

Do nothing except for comfort (he's been given 3-6 months)

Get a 2nd opinion at one of the major centers.

Questions:

1. has anyone had any experience with Cyramza?
  2. if he decides on a second opinion: where? Mayo (which one, we live in FL, so Jacksonville would be closest); M.D. Anderson?; other?

Thanks,

Virginia Kelly

Comments

• trainscotch
    trainscotch Member Posts: 10
    Cyramza

Sorry to hear about your hubby getting the metastis,and having to restart chemo. BUt for the date that could be me. I an doing my senond round, after I was clean, with Oxaliplatina and flourouracil. 4 doses if they don't cure me I get to use Cyramza. My doctor explained its not yet a first line drug, so he has to try something else first, then the Cyramza.

Dennis

• Deathorglory
    Deathorglory Member Posts: 364 Member
    Sorry to hear

Hello Virginia,

I'm sorry to hear about your husband's diagnosis.  I have no experience with Cyramza, but I was in an extremely similar situation.  I was originally Stage III in 2008 and had chemo with radiation, surgery and then some bonus chemo as my course of treatment.  In 2011 I had a recurrence in my left lung and was given a very poor prognosis (7-8 months with treatment).  I fortunately tested positive for HER2/NEU and was able to get herceptin along with the folfox chemo.  I had an exceptionally good response to the treatment and have been doing very well since.  I'm still getting herceptin weekly (just got home from it actually).  My latest scan (3 weeks ago) showed that I am still showing no signs of cancer anywhere.

I'd strongly recommend that you guys get a second opinion, although I don't have a suggestion as to which place would be best.  Both Mayo and M.D. Anderson have world class reputations, but I have no idea about their satellite programs.  I also strongly recommend getting tested for HER2/NEU.  If your husband is positive for that, then hopefully it will improve his chances.  

Wishing you well,

Ed

• gkelly

Cyramza

Sorry to hear about your hubby getting the metastis,and having to restart chemo. BUt for the date that could be me. I an doing my senond round, after I was clean, with Oxaliplatina and flourouracil. 4 doses if they don't cure me I get to use Cyramza. My doctor explained its not yet a first line drug, so he has to try something else first, then the Cyramza.

Dennis

Thanks for responding. Wishing you the best.

Virginia

• gkelly

Sorry to hear

Hello Virginia,

I'm sorry to hear about your husband's diagnosis.  I have no experience with Cyramza, but I was in an extremely similar situation.  I was originally Stage III in 2008 and had chemo with radiation, surgery and then some bonus chemo as my course of treatment.  In 2011 I had a recurrence in my left lung and was given a very poor prognosis (7-8 months with treatment).  I fortunately tested positive for HER2/NEU and was able to get herceptin along with the folfox chemo.  I had an exceptionally good response to the treatment and have been doing very well since.  I'm still getting herceptin weekly (just got home from it actually).  My latest scan (3 weeks ago) showed that I am still showing no signs of cancer anywhere.

I'd strongly recommend that you guys get a second opinion, although I don't have a suggestion as to which place would be best.  Both Mayo and M.D. Anderson have world class reputations, but I have no idea about their satellite programs.  I also strongly recommend getting tested for HER2/NEU.  If your husband is positive for that, then hopefully it will improve his chances.  

Wishing you well,

Ed

Thanks for the information, Ed. In the shock of everything, I'd forgotten that I'd read a little something about HER2/NEU.

We have asked for an appointment at MD Andersoni Houston. Even if they don't accept him, I'll ask about the test.

Best of luck to you and thanks again,

Virginia

• Grateful4Forum
    Grateful4Forum Member Posts: 15
    gkelly said:

Thanks for the information, Ed. In the shock of everything, I'd forgotten that I'd read a little something about HER2/NEU.

We have asked for an appointment at MD Andersoni Houston. Even if they don't accept him, I'll ask about the test.

Best of luck to you and thanks again,

Virginia

Moffitt Cancer Center

Hi Viriginia,

Although I have no experience with cancer treatment on the east coast, when I was researching treatment options, I heard a lot of really good things about the Moffitt Cancer Center in Florida for EC treatment.  Clinical trials may be an option also.

Best wishes to your husband.

• gkelly

Moffitt Cancer Center

Hi Viriginia,

Although I have no experience with cancer treatment on the east coast, when I was researching treatment options, I heard a lot of really good things about the Moffitt Cancer Center in Florida for EC treatment.  Clinical trials may be an option also.

Best wishes to your husband.

Thank you for the recommendation. We just spoke with someone else who mentioned this Center.

Virginia

• lindygene01
    lindygene01 Member Posts: 1
    Esophageal met to liver

I am sorry to hear about your husband. I too have stage IV esophageal that has met to my liver. I went through chemo & radiation surgery & more chemo but it won't go away. I am currently going through clinical trials at Mary Crowley Cancer Research Center at Medical City Dallas. They have several trials for esophageal cancer going on. It might be worth a check. Wish you and your husband we'll.