Another Update

Options

Hi all:

Basketcase checking in here and boy have I been a basketcase this week.  First all, let me update you on Steve (bff's husband) Told y'all MRI showed brain lesions all but gone only a whisper of a lesion.  Well the pet scan was good too no new problems; have dismissed him for 3 months and now talking in terms of long term instead of short term!  Praise the Lord!

Now the reason I have been such a basketcase this week is my car.  Took to the shop Monday not the thermostat like we all thought but actually a blown head gasket!  But the reason I had no loss of power; overheating water, steam etc. is because it blew the opposite way one usually does which was probably to my advantage.  However, $2800 to repair!  Not exactly how I intended to place my long term subbing moo-lah!  Also needs new ac compressor/condenser but can wait on that for a while.  I keep Charlie's last pix I took of him on my cell phone and when I found all this out; looked at it and said, "I told you I'd be a basketcase if you went off and left me; whata I do now, Chief?"  Well, his youngest brother is quite car savvy and knows a lot about them and has worked on them; so insisted on checking the people out whom I thoroughly trust and have done me right and are not ripoffs; but for that amount of money, I thought, "Okay, I'll let them play their little game!"  Well, bro-in-law couldn't find anything bad about them and got the best rating you can get with CCV or something like that.  Then of course, enter Tamaraand Luis good friends they are and have loaned me her car to drive till I get mine back next week; but constantly calling and seeing how I am; why I haven't checked in if I go a day or two w/o checking in, etc.  My own mother wasn't this smothering! But they have been good to me and so I perservere!  Anyway, Luis starts in on what about other gasket; did you check this or did you check that ask this ask that.  I told them Stan (brother-in-law) felt confident after talking with them and that they were shooting it straight that I deferred to his judgment! And I am doing a long term maternity sub for a pre-k teacher till Sept. 26.  Now I know why I got burned out on Pre-K.  It's not the kids; it the bs paperwork and assessment the state wants done on 4 year olds for God's sake!  HOwever it is blessing as it will pay for car and court costs on Chapter 7.  Things will be looking up soon.  The car now has 130,000 miles on it and this is truly the first major repair it's had to have.  I hope to get another one in 2 1/2 years after this one is paid off and I've saved up a tidy little downpayment.  It's a 2005 chevy equinox and I absolutely just love it; also it's the last car Charlie bought for me so there's a lot of emotion in there too!  Anyway totally chilling out today and being an absolute slug!  Hope all is well with everyone and God Bless!

Jan (Basketcase)

Comments

• debbiejeanne
    debbiejeanne Member Posts: 3,102 Member
    Options
    Jan, so happy for your bff's

Jan, so happy for your bff's hubby!  God is certainly good.  i'm also very happy that everything kinda worked out in the end.  at least you have people doing the car work that you trust and have a good rep.  that is hard to find these days.  i understand the emotional part, that's how we felt when we had to get rid of our mother's car.  praying it lasts another 2.5 yrs for you.  130,000 miles is quite a few miles so i'll keep my fingers crossed for you.  continue to chill and be a slug.  that's what we all need sometimes!

God bless you,

dj

• Hondo
    Hondo Member Posts: 6,636 Member
    Options
    Hi Jan

That is great new on Steve just need to keep the prayers coming in his behalf. I just wish you lived a little closer to Lafayette so I could help you with fixing the car. I do all my own auto repair work as I was once a Diesel Engine Mechanic machine and it is not too much difference as saves me a lot of money. Keep checking in and posting and may God continue to bring blessing to you

Tim Hondo

• jim and i
    jim and i Member Posts: 1,788 Member
    Options
    I hate cars. I often wish I

I hate cars. I often wish I lived in a small town where I could walk everywhere. But then I wouldn't have my beloved beach. I am so sorry to hear of your troubles. Jim bought me a new little car befre he died. It is really good on gas. He wanted me to not worry about car troubles and have good gas milage. Even though I have a little higher payments and 5 years on it, it is saving me money because I cut my fuel and maintenance bill over half.

I am thrilled your friend recieved a good report. I pray they keep coming. I will pray that the car problems cease and you are able to be stress free.

Debbie