Does ACS share our phone numbers?

I signed up today because I was feeling desperate. Not at the end of the rope, but close enough to scare me. Didn't feel up to posting but read a few different threads and found some relief. Thank you all for that. Many of you are in far worse situations--and coping with far more dignity and grace.

A few minutes ago, however, I received a telemarketing call from a breast cancer support group. Sorry that I can't remember the name, but my phone says the number was 240-318-1453. The voice was so impassive that at first I thought it was a robocall. After I got over the initial shock of a stranger knowing that breast cancer had affected our family, I started to ask questions. She said (unconvincingly) that she was indeed a live person and could not divulge how she had obtained our phone number.

It's possible that today's call was a coincidence. We have donated money to breast cancer research and participated in fundraising efforts ourselves. But this was the first call we've received from an unknown group. Does anyone know if ACS shares our phone numbers?

Comments

• New Flower
    New Flower Member Posts: 4,294
    never thought of it

Good question never thought of it 

• Pixie Dust
    Pixie Dust Member Posts: 424 Member
    DO NOT DONATE IF IT IS NOT ACS

I found out that their are alot of people calling saying that they are Breast Cancer charities. About a year ago I donated money to one. A few days later I heard on the national news channel Brian Williams show that a charity out of Texas was calling for donations for Breast Cancer and do not donate to them. This was the one I donated to. Just the other day I got another phone call asking for donations for Breast Cancer and I ask them was they from the American Cancer Society and they kept beating around the bush. I kept asking them was they from The American Cancer Society and they finally told me know, but their charity was still for Breast Cancer. I told them if they would mail me a letter and it said it was from the American Cancer Society I would donate. They hung up. Always ask if they are from the American Cancer Society and mail you a letter in the mail first and you can put on there what you want to donate. If it is from the American Cancer Society they will mail you a letter.

• camul
    camul Member Posts: 2,537
    I dont think so.
    From time to time, the site administrators put a reminder out that this is a public forum, not to post our phone numbers or private email address, to send a private message if you want someone to contact you!
    BC affects 1 in 8 so it is pretty easy for scammers to say they know that bc has affected someone close to you if they are looking for money. I wouldnt donate to any phone solicitors for any cause. I give directly to City of Hope, St. Judes etc. Sounds like someone was scamming you.

Regardless, welcome to this site! Even with great family and friend support, the support I have received and education on meds, side effects and friendship from this site has been wonderful. It has been so helpful being with others who understand how you feel.

Please dont let scammers scare you off. I hope you find the support you need here.
    Carol
  • will_cope_later
    will_cope_later Member Posts: 2
    camul said:

I dont think so.
    From time to time, the site administrators put a reminder out that this is a public forum, not to post our phone numbers or private email address, to send a private message if you want someone to contact you!
    BC affects 1 in 8 so it is pretty easy for scammers to say they know that bc has affected someone close to you if they are looking for money. I wouldnt donate to any phone solicitors for any cause. I give directly to City of Hope, St. Judes etc. Sounds like someone was scamming you.

Regardless, welcome to this site! Even with great family and friend support, the support I have received and education on meds, side effects and friendship from this site has been wonderful. It has been so helpful being with others who understand how you feel.

Please dont let scammers scare you off. I hope you find the support you need here.
    Carol

thanks for the advice

And glad to know that the spam call was just a lucky shot (from their perspective, not mine). I agree that it's best to keep your donations where you know they will do some good. We support the Norris Cotton Cancer Center.

By the way, Carol: I posted the telemarketer's phone number, not mine.

• Sailing wind
    Sailing wind Member Posts: 31

thanks for the advice

And glad to know that the spam call was just a lucky shot (from their perspective, not mine). I agree that it's best to keep your donations where you know they will do some good. We support the Norris Cotton Cancer Center.

By the way, Carol: I posted the telemarketer's phone number, not mine.

scam people will do random

scam people will do random calls. so many peopledo have C they are going to make connection. neverNEVER do anything over the phone . Always ask for mail