Let's talk Ureter!

Options
Terry T
Terry T Member Posts: 42

Hi all - My pathology report states the ureter is 4.5 cm long but i see in general literature that it is 8 - 10 inches long.  So is my remaining ureter still in me and just floating in space?  Anyone else have this situation and do you know what happens to a now useless ureter left inside?  Thanks

Comments

• todd121
    todd121 Member Posts: 1,448 Member
    Options
    Ureter - Adrenal Gland?

I can't answer to what happens to it, but I can say that when I talked to my surgeon, he'd said he would take part of it and then decide on taking the rest. My understanding was that they wouldn't resect all of it unless it was necessary (meaning it appeared abnormal) because resecting it all isn't that easy, evidently.

I'd suppose it's tied off (I would hope very well!!).

I have another question. It's related only in that it's something I don't get how they did when they did the surgery. My surgeon left my adrenal gland even though I had a radical nephrectomy. I always thought the adrenal gland was attaches to the top of the kidney. So, if they left the adrenal gland, what's it attached to? Sorry to horn in on your question. :) Is it floating in space?

Todd

• donna_lee
    donna_lee Member Posts: 1,042 Member
    Options
    todd121 said:

Ureter - Adrenal Gland?

I can't answer to what happens to it, but I can say that when I talked to my surgeon, he'd said he would take part of it and then decide on taking the rest. My understanding was that they wouldn't resect all of it unless it was necessary (meaning it appeared abnormal) because resecting it all isn't that easy, evidently.

I'd suppose it's tied off (I would hope very well!!).

I have another question. It's related only in that it's something I don't get how they did when they did the surgery. My surgeon left my adrenal gland even though I had a radical nephrectomy. I always thought the adrenal gland was attaches to the top of the kidney. So, if they left the adrenal gland, what's it attached to? Sorry to horn in on your question. :) Is it floating in space?

Todd

Ureter is usually left in

It exits the kidney mid way up the kidney, so they generally just cut, fold and clip it off below the depression (fossa) that the kidney sits in. The clips are more like little staples that clamp things shut--blood vessels, lymph vessels, etc.  The ureter still has circulation in what's left, and that is easier on you than resecting it down to the bladder, which would mean cutting thru additional tissue.  No it's not "floating in space;" it's just embedded in fascia and thin tissues around the intestines.  And it won't allow backflow out the cut end.

You will survive!!!

Donna

• Terry T
    Terry T Member Posts: 42
    Options
    donna_lee said:

Ureter is usually left in

It exits the kidney mid way up the kidney, so they generally just cut, fold and clip it off below the depression (fossa) that the kidney sits in. The clips are more like little staples that clamp things shut--blood vessels, lymph vessels, etc.  The ureter still has circulation in what's left, and that is easier on you than resecting it down to the bladder, which would mean cutting thru additional tissue.  No it's not "floating in space;" it's just embedded in fascia and thin tissues around the intestines.  And it won't allow backflow out the cut end.

You will survive!!!

Donna

thanks donna_lee

First, I assume you know the Miles Davis composition "Donna Lee" (Jaco Pastorious covered it as well and I think Miles never recorded it, just Charlie Parker).  If you are not a jazz fan, I just typed a bunch of jibberish!

Thanks for your note.  I wasn't worried about surviving....figured that was happening :) just did wonder what the remaining piece does but you answered that.  Thanks

• foxhd
    foxhd Member Posts: 3,181 Member
    Options
    Terry T said:

thanks donna_lee

First, I assume you know the Miles Davis composition "Donna Lee" (Jaco Pastorious covered it as well and I think Miles never recorded it, just Charlie Parker).  If you are not a jazz fan, I just typed a bunch of jibberish!

Thanks for your note.  I wasn't worried about surviving....figured that was happening :) just did wonder what the remaining piece does but you answered that.  Thanks

Donna

Donna may have a lot of miles on her. Just not Miles Davis! You know I love you!

• donna_lee
    donna_lee Member Posts: 1,042 Member
    Options
    foxhd said:

Donna

Donna may have a lot of miles on her. Just not Miles Davis! You know I love you!

Miles of Smiles...

Yes, I'm old enough to know what you are referring to.  My son used to host a late night jazz show on a regional public radio station when he was in college.

Glad everything is OK.  And, Fox, thanks for the kind words.  Your turn is coming.

Donna

• sblairc
    sblairc Member Posts: 585 Member
    Options
    I'm so glad you posted this

Finally, an answer to a lingering question. Regarding my husband, I was always perplexed how the surgeon had such a blase attitude toward leaving the ureter since I assumed it was part of the "package deal" of a radical neprectomy. His comment when I asked about it was "well, it was already a 5 hour surgery!!?