how often do you see your radiologist post treatment ?

qv62
qv62 Member Posts: 434 Member

I had my post treatment visit with my radiologist this past Fri (last treatment 6/24) I am scheduled to see her again in October but after that she is moving her pracice which took me by suprise. We hugged when I left and told her I'll look foward to seeing her in Oct but was so in shock about the move which will be right after my visit I failed to ask her how often a patient then sees their radiologist. For those of you a few years out your feedvack is appreciated, I want to decide if I will drive 2 plus hours each way or see whoever is taking her place right near home ?

Comments

• jcruz
    jcruz Member Posts: 379 Member
    doctor visits

I see my rad. onc. every six months.  I'll see her again in October which will be my 2 year mark.

• TraceyUSA
    TraceyUSA Member Posts: 316
    qv62

I saw my radiologist 3 months, 6 months then 1 year post treatment.  He is the one that orders my PET scans.  I will be seeing him again in Oct. (I finished treatments in March 2013.)  I really like my radiologist and would be disappointed if I found out he was moving. 

Hope you're starting to feel better.

Tracey

• qv62
    qv62 Member Posts: 434 Member
    TraceyUSA said:

qv62

I saw my radiologist 3 months, 6 months then 1 year post treatment.  He is the one that orders my PET scans.  I will be seeing him again in Oct. (I finished treatments in March 2013.)  I really like my radiologist and would be disappointed if I found out he was moving. 

Hope you're starting to feel better.

Tracey

Jcruz & TraceyUsa

Thank you both for the feedback, I hate change so this is really not my week, was supposed to see my gyn tomorrow only to get a phone call Thurs telling me they need to cancel/change my appointment since she is out on medical leave :( I may just follow my radiolgist after Octbober if I don't feel am immediate connection with the dr taking over for her. I wouldn't mind if I had to travel to the city to see her since some of my other doctors are there as well and you can always make a day of it but not much to do up in Westchester NY :( and then have a long drive home

• sandysp
    sandysp Member Posts: 868 Member
    qv62 said:

Jcruz & TraceyUsa

Thank you both for the feedback, I hate change so this is really not my week, was supposed to see my gyn tomorrow only to get a phone call Thurs telling me they need to cancel/change my appointment since she is out on medical leave :( I may just follow my radiolgist after Octbober if I don't feel am immediate connection with the dr taking over for her. I wouldn't mind if I had to travel to the city to see her since some of my other doctors are there as well and you can always make a day of it but not much to do up in Westchester NY :( and then have a long drive home

I don't remember the last time I saw him

I have not had much followup with the Radiologist. My followup was with my Oncologist and Colorectal Surgeon. Maybe this was after one year though. I can't remember! But I don't think so. I think after six months, I didn't see my radiologist any more. 

My Oncologist specializes in gastric cancers and Dr. Weiser, my Colo rectal surgeon is the guy who really oversee's the overall state of things (he is in charge). The Radiologist just followed up until my burns healed but my Oncologist was even in charge of my hospital care when I was admitted for low platelets, etc. She is the one who ordered the 6 month CT scan instead of waiting one year like the Pulmonologist at Mt. Sinai had indicated. She is terrific.

So I from my experience at Sloan Kettering, this is not as big a deal as it may feel like for you right now. The big job is over. If you are having a lot of aches and pains, ask your Oncologist for a referral to rehabilitative care, when you feel up to it. Watch your feet for swelling. Keep your legs elevated when you are not moving and drink tons of fluids. Coconut water is very good for hydration, etc. If you go back to work this fall, let the school know they need to appreciate that you may need some special accomodations in that regard this year.

The good news is you are done with your treatment. You hopefully will never need to be treated by a radiologist again.

Love,

Sandy

• eihtak
    eihtak Member Posts: 1,473 Member
    qv62 said:

Jcruz & TraceyUsa

qv62.....

It seems as usual we all have different follow-up schedules.  I think a lot depends on the rest of your team.  I only saw my rad doc at about 3months and 6months post treatment, then she moved as well. I did meet with her nurse who I loved as she actually wanted some info and my opinion on dilator questions to pass on, but was not examined by a rad doc since. I do however have a very thorough onc, gyn, and family doctor.  I did not have a colo-rectal doctor but was treated by a general surgeon for biopsies, port, colostomy, mole removal, and breast cancer surgery too! I am not scheduled to see him anymore either unless I have a concern. I am 3 1/2 years post AC treatment but will continue seeing my onc every 6months for now along with gyn and family doc as recommended. Hope all works in what ever way is best for you.

Be well.

Katheryn

• LaCh
    LaCh Member Posts: 557
    Me personally? Never. I fired

Me personally? Never. I fired both my radio oncologist and the chemo oncologist the moment I ended treatments. They were both idiots and I couldn't wait to be done with them both. I'm not recommending it, I'm just describing what I've done. I'm 19 months post treatment and have no cancer problems but quite a few treatment-caused problems. There seems to be a standard protocol for treatment but no agreement on followup. That said, even if there were, if it was something you felt wasn't in your best interests, you can refuse. Many people just go along with what the doctor says. That's ok, if that's what feels right to you. For those who feel that, say, CT scans are hazardous to their health, they can refuse.  You get to decide what you will or won't do. 

• 0626june
    0626june Member Posts: 73
    LaCh said:

Me personally? Never. I fired

Me personally? Never. I fired both my radio oncologist and the chemo oncologist the moment I ended treatments. They were both idiots and I couldn't wait to be done with them both. I'm not recommending it, I'm just describing what I've done. I'm 19 months post treatment and have no cancer problems but quite a few treatment-caused problems. There seems to be a standard protocol for treatment but no agreement on followup. That said, even if there were, if it was something you felt wasn't in your best interests, you can refuse. Many people just go along with what the doctor says. That's ok, if that's what feels right to you. For those who feel that, say, CT scans are hazardous to their health, they can refuse.  You get to decide what you will or won't do. 

LaCh

Love your spirit!