bylateral neck dissection

Options
2»

Comments

• catfish_58
    catfish_58 Member Posts: 138 Member
    Options

Creams

I used bio oil during the day, a bit on my hand and massaged it into the scars lightly. The e45 cream I put on overnight. Somewhere the site I have pictures of before then 8 weeks later.

creams

Yes i found this and have this on my list of things to try,Do you put a scarf or something on for the overnight e45 or just try not to turn over in bed?I need to check on that too.Thanks for the update

• catfish_58
    Options
    CivilMatt said:

neck candy

CF_58,

I too have a vague memory, but I think your news is very good.

My Jugular vein dissection healed well with very little pain and minimal scarring.  I hope yours follows suit.

Good luck,

Matt

old tumor

News is good when they removed the old tumor they had mentioned that it was wrapped around a blood vein and was over my carotid artery and was putting pressure on the nerves leading up my left side of my face,They took it out and said I should get all feeeling back with time,The good news is no more cancer,The only thing that bugged me the most was we'll wait and see from here because we still do not know where the primary came from, so I am hoping that to be a long ,long wait

• wmc
    wmc Member Posts: 1,804
    Options

old tumor

News is good when they removed the old tumor they had mentioned that it was wrapped around a blood vein and was over my carotid artery and was putting pressure on the nerves leading up my left side of my face,They took it out and said I should get all feeeling back with time,The good news is no more cancer,The only thing that bugged me the most was we'll wait and see from here because we still do not know where the primary came from, so I am hoping that to be a long ,long wait

Old Tumor

Chris that is very good news. Having that out when it was too close to your carotid artery and all the nerves there is really grest news and must be a big releif. Hope they do find the primary, but it will be ok if they don't. I know for you, it would be so nice to know. May all your tomorrows be better than today.

Bill

• debbiejeanne
    debbiejeanne Member Posts: 3,102 Member
    Options

old tumor

chris, great news of no

chris, great news of no cancer!!  i wish they would have found the primary but praying it won't matter and can't cause any additional problems.  praying they got it with the stuff they removed already.  so very thankful the surgery went well and that you will get all feeling back.  just be patient.  being cancer free is an awesome feeling!  live on, friend!

God bless you,

dj

• catfish_58
    Options

chris, great news of no

chris, great news of no cancer!!  i wish they would have found the primary but praying it won't matter and can't cause any additional problems.  praying they got it with the stuff they removed already.  so very thankful the surgery went well and that you will get all feeling back.  just be patient.  being cancer free is an awesome feeling!  live on, friend!

God bless you,

dj

cancer free

Hey dj,Yes I can agree that after finally getting that old dead mass out I think once this heals I'll feel a lot better about this operation and being cancer free.Thanks for the reply

• catfish_58
    Options
    wmc said:

Old Tumor

Chris that is very good news. Having that out when it was too close to your carotid artery and all the nerves there is really grest news and must be a big releif. Hope they do find the primary, but it will be ok if they don't. I know for you, it would be so nice to know. May all your tomorrows be better than today.

Bill

Bill thanks for replying back,Yes it is a big relief knowing they finally got that outta there,hope to get this swelling under control and get back to my normal or even new normal.thanks again

• catfish_58
    Options

my scars

look better but they are definitely visable.  I've gotten sort of attached to them and am PROUD of them :)  People ask me time to time "what happened" and I tell them.  I'd much rather them ask than just stare! haha

Congrats on a great surgery and for doing so well so fast.  Happy healing!!

scars

Hey tracyLynn72, 

Sorry about the late post but I am trying to answer all post  and was reading all the post and accidently slip past yours but reading back through it today came across this one and thought about giving you a reply,I see your a proud veteran too.Read up on your trip here,I remember in the old days back in the 80's when my sister had cancer they had apparently only knew of 57 different types of cancer,Back in those days cancer wasn't something you heard a lot about,Anyways I do see a lot of people now that going through the same battle as us and everyone is beating it more and more,Just how I hope to be doing the beating too,Just returned from my Dr. taking out all the stitch's and was told no more radiation because they thought that I may be too toxic since my last dose was a max dose,But my surgery Dr. says he is going to have a meeting with the tumor board and suggest to radiate that small area since I did not have that area radiated before,We'll soon see,But in return Thanks for the reply and I'll wear my scars proud too

• Rokuss
    Rokuss Member Posts: 4
    Options

cancer free

Hey dj,Yes I can agree that after finally getting that old dead mass out I think once this heals I'll feel a lot better about this operation and being cancer free.Thanks for the reply

I had my PET/MRI scans on 9/4

I had my PET/MRI scans on 9/4 and the dpc said that the uptick was 4.4. Two of my 3 docs recommended surgery to remove a few lymph node. I was told that there was a possibility that I can only raise my arm up to my shoulders and possibly more with physical therapy. There is also the possibility of developing lymphodema. my next PET scan is in two months. What side effects if any at all are you folks experiencING now? Thank you and prayers to al!

• debbiejeanne
    debbiejeanne Member Posts: 3,102 Member
    Options
    Rokuss said:

I had my PET/MRI scans on 9/4

I had my PET/MRI scans on 9/4 and the dpc said that the uptick was 4.4. Two of my 3 docs recommended surgery to remove a few lymph node. I was told that there was a possibility that I can only raise my arm up to my shoulders and possibly more with physical therapy. There is also the possibility of developing lymphodema. my next PET scan is in two months. What side effects if any at all are you folks experiencING now? Thank you and prayers to al!

rokuss, we are all different

rokuss, we are all different but i can only lift my left arm even with my breast.  i went thru 5 months of PT and they finally said  there was nothing more they could do for me.  i also have lymphodema and have had it since surgery.  i used to wear chin wraps but they did not help me at all.  my surgery was 2/28/12.  i hope you won't have these problems but i am not the only one who went thru this who cannot lift their arm.  that seems to be a common side affect.  i had 43 nodes removed from both sides of neck. wishing you the best.

God bless you,

dj 

• Sable1
    Sable1 Member Posts: 14
    Options
    Neck Dissection

Hi Mr. CatfishSmile

Awesome picture as I too enjoy the sport though I haven't been all summer long.

I had a left neck disection in Feburary followed by combined chemo and radiation for tonsilar cancer. The surgeon was able to do the inscission at a wrinkle in my neck. The scar... from behind my ear down the center of my throat which took weeks to heal. Use a scarf, losely! Being 7 months our from surgery and 4 months post treatment, my scar is barely visible to the eye. Though I still have days where the the left side of my neck is tight and stiff.  I actually have more visible scarring from radiation than the neck discetion. Hang in there...one day at a time!

Sable1 

• jackflash22
    jackflash22 Member Posts: 524 Member
    Options

creams

thanks for the info on the bio-oil and E45 cream will be going on the web to see about these and have entered it in the things to ask my doctor about once I get back there,sounds like they worked for you pretty good,will definateley check out,do you put one on in the morning and the other at night?or is it one day use 1 type all day and switch to the other the next day?right now my doctor has me putting a double antibiotic ointment (bacitracin zinc and polymyxin b sulfate).

Creams

I used the cream in the daytime and bio at night. Once the skin softened I use just the bio massaging it in now and again during the day while sitting in my chair, I kept it next to me. I found creaming my neck got rid of the brown dead rad skin with tissues. I once did a swipe down my neck with a tissue and had  a white streak beneath.