Side Effects after treat

Options
Barb5454
Barb5454 Member Posts: 125

Hi Everyone,

Well, I'm 1 1/2 years post treatment and I'm happy to say I'm still cancer free. However, I am starting to get lovely (side effects and I'm being sarcastic) from having cancer and the treatment. My joints in my hands and feet have been really painful and I was just diagnosed having rheumatoid arthritis. Really? I'm mean I fell off my chair. I mean come on! Wasn't cancer enough? My dr told me it's because of the radiation and chemo.

Has anyone else had this problem?

Comments

• mp327
    mp327 Member Posts: 4,440 Member
    Options
    Barb5454

I'm sorry that you now have RA.  I'm not sure about blaming radiation and chemo, due to it being in your hands and feet.  Is there a history of RA in your family?  I'm not saying the treatment could not have caused this, it's always possible.  However, RA is very often hereditary.

I am 60 years old and some days my joints ache and are very stiff.  Sometimes it's brought on by activities the day before, sometimes not.  I know I have osteoarthritis in my knees.  I also have osteopenia in my left hip and lumbar spine and osteoporosis in my right hip, which I do believe are results of the radiation.  I still run, despite these issues, and always feel better afterwards.

If you do not exercise, perhaps you can find something with very low impact, such as swimming, that will help you.  I am a true believer in the power of exercise for all kinds of health issues.  I wish you all the best.

• Barb5454
    Barb5454 Member Posts: 125
    Options
    mp327 said:

Barb5454

I'm sorry that you now have RA.  I'm not sure about blaming radiation and chemo, due to it being in your hands and feet.  Is there a history of RA in your family?  I'm not saying the treatment could not have caused this, it's always possible.  However, RA is very often hereditary.

I am 60 years old and some days my joints ache and are very stiff.  Sometimes it's brought on by activities the day before, sometimes not.  I know I have osteoarthritis in my knees.  I also have osteopenia in my left hip and lumbar spine and osteoporosis in my right hip, which I do believe are results of the radiation.  I still run, despite these issues, and always feel better afterwards.

If you do not exercise, perhaps you can find something with very low impact, such as swimming, that will help you.  I am a true believer in the power of exercise for all kinds of health issues.  I wish you all the best.

MP327

Thank you. I do exercise some. I don't know about my family background because I'm adopted. I also suffer from depression since treatment was over. My dr explained to me that chemo can cause ra but I could get a second opinion. He said it is mild. He put me on an anti depressant that also helps ra. Thank you again for your input

• mxperry220
    mxperry220 Member Posts: 493 Member
    Options
    Stiff Joints

I am 5 1/2 years post treatment and have had stiffness issues since my treatments particularily in my legs and pelvic area.  I noticed it especially bothersome if I sit for long periods of time. 

Mike

• lilou
    lilou Member Posts: 23
    Options
    side effects after treatment

Hello, treated in 2102 for a stage3 B cancer,i had complications. 5 months after the end of the chimio i had a syndrome hemolytique and uremique and i meet myself with a renale incapicity moderate.  11 months after the end of radiotherapy i had fractures of fatigue at the level of the bones of the pond.  To day i stillsuffer in the walking and it is exhausting physically.   LILOU