layngeal cancer

Hey everyone any info on rotatable larynectomy survival I'm only 51 thank u for any response

Comments

• richardkirkwood10
    richardkirkwood10 Member Posts: 2
    Sorry I am nervous total

Sorry I am nervous total larynectomy thank u

• Ladylacy
    Ladylacy Member Posts: 773 Member
    Laryngeal cancer

It is survivable for many.  I have a friend whose husband has survived laryngeal cancer for over 40 years.  My husband was diagnosed 4 years ago with laryngeal cancer.  Sad part is that he has been NED from laryngeal cancer for 3 years but 2 years ago, a second primary was found at the cervical of his esophagus which is very rare.  Surgery was ruled out due to previous radiation and surgery.  So he underwent another 37 rounds of radiation and 7 chemo.  Tumor was very small and had not spread.  Only NED for about 7 months when it was found that the tumor reoccurred and spread to his lung.  He declined all further treatment.  Only thing offered was chemo and told up front would only prolong not cure.  Today he has survived longer than any of his doctors thought although he is not doing well and slowly loosing ground.

www.webwhispers.org is a great site because it deals with laryngeal cancer.

Wishing you the best -- Sharon

• John Char
    John Char Member Posts: 30
    Ladylacy said:

Laryngeal cancer

It is survivable for many.  I have a friend whose husband has survived laryngeal cancer for over 40 years.  My husband was diagnosed 4 years ago with laryngeal cancer.  Sad part is that he has been NED from laryngeal cancer for 3 years but 2 years ago, a second primary was found at the cervical of his esophagus which is very rare.  Surgery was ruled out due to previous radiation and surgery.  So he underwent another 37 rounds of radiation and 7 chemo.  Tumor was very small and had not spread.  Only NED for about 7 months when it was found that the tumor reoccurred and spread to his lung.  He declined all further treatment.  Only thing offered was chemo and told up front would only prolong not cure.  Today he has survived longer than any of his doctors thought although he is not doing well and slowly loosing ground.

www.webwhispers.org is a great site because it deals with laryngeal cancer.

Wishing you the best -- Sharon

The doctor is going to start

The doctor is going to start chemo next Friday. He said if my husband didn't like it he can Stop. Doesn't give us much hope. It's only supposed to prolong his life for months not year. The radiation doctor was very pleased when he took two weeks of radiation. it shrank  the cancer more than they thought it would. Is it worth taking the chemo when the chemo is going to be worse than the cancer. 

• Ladylacy
    Ladylacy Member Posts: 773 Member
    Chemo

Remember everyone reacts differently to chemo.  My husband had little problems with chemo, but after the reoccurrence and spread and being told only chemo and only to prolong, not cure, possibly hasten, he said no more.  That was 18 months ago and up until Christmas he was doing good, but now he is declining.  Your husband has to decide what he wants to do.  Quality vs. quantity.  

Wishing you peace and comfort -- Sharon