Options
2»

Comments

• gurusank
    gurusank Member Posts: 13
    Options
    jas_pf said:

Hi gurusank, thanks for the

Hi gurusank, thanks for the input. Im sorry to hear about your wife. Im not quite clear regarding the clear margins, ill have to ask tonorrow when i see hiM. has your wife suffered from heavy congestion? Eating wise, im on liquid/soft food, cos i Can't chew yet because of the flap they put in to cover my palate. And yea, i guess all these new stuffs need adjustong, dont know how long it takes!

regards

jason

Trismus & Jaw stiffness

Hi Jason,

Since its new elements started getting work stiffness of nose, congestion are usual.

My wife was adviced to "irrigate" the blocked nose using an 20 Ml syringe 2-3 times with normal water in a day which actually helps.

The most difficult part is mouth opening, since the flap occupied all over the mouth she find it difficult to open it to eat. Later we got some execries and tounge depressor to keep it open. Right now she can able to open it to 20 MM. So please start ur execrcises right away. Other than that all will settle down in 4-5 months time.

And please check with ur Dr if he got the tumour with margins ?

Thanks,

Guru

• jas_pf
    jas_pf Member Posts: 12
    Options
    gurusank said:

Trismus & Jaw stiffness

Hi Jason,

Since its new elements started getting work stiffness of nose, congestion are usual.

My wife was adviced to "irrigate" the blocked nose using an 20 Ml syringe 2-3 times with normal water in a day which actually helps.

The most difficult part is mouth opening, since the flap occupied all over the mouth she find it difficult to open it to eat. Later we got some execries and tounge depressor to keep it open. Right now she can able to open it to 20 MM. So please start ur execrcises right away. Other than that all will settle down in 4-5 months time.

And please check with ur Dr if he got the tumour with margins ?

Thanks,

Guru

Hi Guru, yea i have already

Hi Guru, yea i have already started my physiotherapy which consists of mouth exercise to avoid any stiffness afterwards. It's quite hard to open the mouth wide mostly cos of the jaw stiffness but i can see some progress from last week, i can maage to fit 2 fingers in the mouth. Regarding the clear margin, im still waiting for the pathological report which would give a clearer idea of everything, should be release sometime this week hopefully. Thanks for the advice, really appreciate it!

• hwt
    hwt Member Posts: 2,328 Member
    Options
    jas_pf said:

Hi tracylynn72, thanks for

Hi tracylynn72, thanks for sharing your story and im glad to hear that youve been cancer free for a year, shows that nothing is impossible. I only found out about the MEC 2 weeks ago and had surgery on June 25th. everything has been developing so fast, dont know if i should be thankful cos it didnt allow me to look more into it and figure out an action plan. But right now im still waiting for the pathological report to see what's the next step. But prior to surgery, i was told i would not require any radiation or chemo, so hopefully that is still the case! i had 4 teeth removed, part of the hard palate and they used temporalisis flap to cover the palate. So my left cheek/face/jaw still swollen and stiff and painful And the flap is still swollen as well. Regarding the sinus congestion, i have been suggested to use NEILMED SINUS RELIEF. You should look into it, might be helpfiul to you. 

Jas

Hope you do escape any rads/chemo...rads are the thing that will bite you in the rear for years to come. 

• tommyodavey
    tommyodavey Member Posts: 727 Member
    Options
    jas_pf said:

Hi tracylynn72, thanks for

Hi tracylynn72, thanks for sharing your story and im glad to hear that youve been cancer free for a year, shows that nothing is impossible. I only found out about the MEC 2 weeks ago and had surgery on June 25th. everything has been developing so fast, dont know if i should be thankful cos it didnt allow me to look more into it and figure out an action plan. But right now im still waiting for the pathological report to see what's the next step. But prior to surgery, i was told i would not require any radiation or chemo, so hopefully that is still the case! i had 4 teeth removed, part of the hard palate and they used temporalisis flap to cover the palate. So my left cheek/face/jaw still swollen and stiff and painful And the flap is still swollen as well. Regarding the sinus congestion, i have been suggested to use NEILMED SINUS RELIEF. You should look into it, might be helpfiul to you. 

Radiation

Hey Jason,

By now you should be feeling a wee bit better.  I was going to ask if you were scheduled for radiation but now I read that you're not.  You are so very lucky to miss both chemo and rads.  And they would only say that if you had clear margins, so you did.  They got it all out and you should heal a lot faster now than you would with rads.  The reason they pulled the four teeth was due to them assuming you were getting radiation.  Your doctors had to error on the side of caution.  If you had needed radiation, you would have lost the teeth anyway.  

Once you heal completely you can think about fixing your mouth where the teeth are missing.  Or just live without them if it doesn't bother you.

You came out of this in pretty good shape although you don't feel like it.  There is only a 2-10% chance of it ever coming back so that's very good.  Same with me.  I almost said no to the radiation but my doctor convinced me to get it.  I'm just glad to be alive.  If not for modern medicine, I would have died by now.  Whoa, what a thought!

Wishing you a speedy recovery,

Tom

• ValeIT
    ValeIT Member Posts: 23
    Options
    CIAO JASON

Hello, I'm Italian and I also had a mucoepidermoid carcinoma in the retromolar area of low grade. 

I was operated on in December 2012. 

I have not done adjunctive therapies, but I have to do periodic checks and MRI every year. 

The last RSM did not reveal anything abnormal. 

After surgery I had difficulty opening the mouth and burning sensation on one side of the tongue, but now everything is getting better. 

But now how are you? 

Hope all is well ... 

Do you know something more of the tumor diagnosed? 

I hope you understood what I wrote, because I use the translator.

• vignesh1192
    vignesh1192 Member Posts: 3
    Options
    ValeIT said:

CIAO JASON

Hello, I'm Italian and I also had a mucoepidermoid carcinoma in the retromolar area of low grade. 

I was operated on in December 2012. 

I have not done adjunctive therapies, but I have to do periodic checks and MRI every year. 

The last RSM did not reveal anything abnormal. 

After surgery I had difficulty opening the mouth and burning sensation on one side of the tongue, but now everything is getting better. 

But now how are you? 

Hope all is well ... 

Do you know something more of the tumor diagnosed? 

I hope you understood what I wrote, because I use the translator.

Speech side effects - Jaw removal

Hi,

My father has been diagnosed with Mucoepidermoid Carcinoma of the Salivary Gland origin. He had a subtotal Maxillectomy (removal of the upper right jaw) a week back.

As a palliative measure they have also removed the nearest lymph nodes and are planning for radiation. Thankfully the pathology report of the excision has shown that it is low grade and it is low in size. No lymph node spread as well.

The doc's have kept a temporary kind of plastic and over the course of the time change to a Obturator . He is worried about his speech now as his job involves him to speak a lot. Its good that he is mentally strong about his Cancer prognosis :)

Just wanted to know if anybody here with MEC had an obturator fitted for them and had any speech defects permanently . I heard it will be bit of nasal speech, but he is okay as long as the other person can understand what he says ?

Thanks and regards,

Vignesh Radhakrishnan

• vignesh1192
    vignesh1192 Member Posts: 3
    Options

Speech side effects - Jaw removal

Hi,

My father has been diagnosed with Mucoepidermoid Carcinoma of the Salivary Gland origin. He had a subtotal Maxillectomy (removal of the upper right jaw) a week back.

As a palliative measure they have also removed the nearest lymph nodes and are planning for radiation. Thankfully the pathology report of the excision has shown that it is low grade and it is low in size. No lymph node spread as well.

The doc's have kept a temporary kind of plastic and over the course of the time change to a Obturator . He is worried about his speech now as his job involves him to speak a lot. Its good that he is mentally strong about his Cancer prognosis :)

Just wanted to know if anybody here with MEC had an obturator fitted for them and had any speech defects permanently . I heard it will be bit of nasal speech, but he is okay as long as the other person can understand what he says ?

Thanks and regards,

Vignesh Radhakrishnan

Hey Jason,
    Btw , wanted to

Hey Jason,

Btw , wanted to wish you a speedy recovery. Hope you are able to be back to normal soon :)

Thanks and regards,

Vignesh Radhakrishnan