new and scared

ecarg
ecarg Member Posts: 3

Recently diagnosed with stage II adenocarcinoma RLL.  No mets found in PET scan.  Testing lymph glands next week and then surgery and chemo.  If found in lymph nodes, surgery, chem and radiation.  Cannot do the VAT because tumor is too large.  What am I facing?  Ideas and suggestions about going bald - wig or scarf or nothing?  How long does it take to recover?  Tired of all of this already and know I am just getting started.  Any suggestions or info would be greatly appreciated.  Many Thanks

Comments

• z
    z Member Posts: 1,414 Member
    ecarg

Sorry you had to find us.  I had vats on 9-23-10 which was a second primary cancer and so far so good.   I didn't have to have chemo as it was a stage 1a lower right lobe removal. 

I also post on the Inspire Web Site, there is a lot of traffic there and a lot of information.  This is a good site too, but not as much traffic.  I hope others will chime in.  I wish you well. Lori

• dennycee
    dennycee Member Posts: 857 Member
    Welcome to the ACS lung cancer board.

3.5 years ago I was diagnosed with stage 4 non small cell lung cancer.  Specifically, adenocarcinoma. One of the first things I did was cut my hair short, when it started falling out there was less shock. My hair thinned but it never did all fall out And I had the harshest chemo combo- cisplatin and etopicide.  If you are very particular about the appearance of your hair then do select a wig in a style that you like.  

The treatment is going to make you feel fatigued eventually.  The thing to focus on at this point would be simplifying your routines in everything from clothing to hair and housework.  It would be a really good idea to start getting exercise. I'm not talking big exercise routines- time to start walking.  It will help improve recovery and strengthen your bones.  Chemo and radiation plus the steroids they give you, can be hard on the bones.   

The thorachotomy will necessitate trauma to your ribs. Plan to sleep in a recliner the first week or so.  Have a pillow handy to hold across your chest if you feel a cough or sneeze coming on.  Stock up on some nutritious snacks. Eat 5-7 small meals a day.  Also pick up some plasticware.  Chemo causes a metallic taste and plastic makes things more palatable. Don't panic, taste buds will return to normal.  while receiving chemo, calories are more important than nutrients. Take a vitamin tablet daily but make sure you are getting the calories you need.  

There is more but its late so I will add to this tomorrow.  

• ecarg
    ecarg Member Posts: 3
    Thanks for the helpful

Thanks for the helpful suggestions.  I really appreciate your generosity in taking the time to write back.  Much care to all