STAGE 3 ESPOPHAGEAL CANCER SURVIVOR - POSITIVE JOURNEY

trentster
trentster Member Posts: 18
edited June 2014 in Esophageal Cancer #1

Update from my husband....

I am a 56 year old non smoker and Stage 3 survivor of esophogeal cancer. I was diagnosed with Stage 3 on November 6, 2013. I was treated at Memorial Sloan Kettering in NYC.  My treatment began with 6 weeks of chemo therapy with infusion pump. My next 6 weeks consisted of chemo therapy with infusion pump and 27 radiation treatments. I then returned home for 5 weeks of rest and recuperation in preparation for my surgery.  My surgery was Friday, April 4th, 2014. I had the Ivor-Lewis procedure. I am now 12 weeks post esophagectomy surgery, I would like to share my personal experiences. I had been an avid golfer for 40 years, and was anxious to return as quickly as possible. That motivated me to aggressively begin my rehabilitation day 1 post op I was instructed to begin walking. My first day I walked nine laps around the hospital floor. 14 laps was equivalent to one mile. I increased my laps and pace daily, refusing to take a wheelchair to daily Xray tests instead choosing to walk a great distance and back.  Within 3-4 days I was walking 28-32 laps a day and was rewarded for my progress and released on day 9 post op.  I was previously told to expect to remain in the hospital for 14 days.  I continued this walking regimen and included climbing up and down stairs. On my 4 week post op surgeon follow up visit, I was told to begin golfing, exercising which included push ups and 10 pound dumb bell weights. During my 6 months of treatment, surgery and recovery, I had lost 43 pounds and weighed 137 pounds. For the last 3 weeks I have been 9 holes of golf  2-3 times a week with a golf cart. I have also carried my golf bag and walked 7 holes. My exercise regimen now includes 12-13 push ups daily and arm and shoulder dumb bell weights.  My strength has increased considerably and my weight has increased by 7 pounds.

I have had my challenges, but everything has been manageable. 

* First week Post op  - 2 naps a day - purchased an adjustable bed. Sleeping on the wedges was uncomfortable and deprived me of much needed sleep.

* Eating small portions, but not limited to what I could or couldn't eat

* Was Sensitive to milk shakes and protien drinks - caused the dumping syndrome

Today 12 weeks later, I am eating larger meals, still have occasional bouts with dumping syndrome. They are not as severe, however predicting when they will occur is still a mystery.

Overall, my complete experience from when I began treatment,  through surgery and now recovery has been easily tolerated and manageable. I believe a great surgeon, great oncologist, positive attitude, supportive family and my unbounding faith has been the secret to my rapid recovery.

Should anyone have any questions, I would be glad to help in anyway.

Comments

• Pittston
    Pittston Member Posts: 26
    Surgeon

Glad to read this. My husband is at MSK. Can you tell me who performed your surgery and whether you had minimally invasive or open?

Hope you are doing well.

• morningstar7777
    morningstar7777 Member Posts: 3
    Very happy for you.

Very happy for you.Cool

• sammeerut
    sammeerut Member Posts: 2
    Oesophageal stricture.

Hi,

I read your experience. My mother underwent the curative dose of the chemo radiation between Jan to March and is experiencing stricture in lower 1/3 oesophagus. Biopsy shows it as benign but PET ct scans show FDG avidity so I don't know what to do now.. Any suggestions?   Do you think surgery is now at age 76 and weight 38 kgs (80 - 90 lbs) is recommendable?

When did you go for Pet ct scans ? Any pointers are welcome. Thanks. 

Regards,

Samit

India