Smoker VS. Non-Smoker

sierra28
sierra28 Member Posts: 70

I gave up smoking before i started my chemo and radiation because the doctor said I would have clean rich blood by doing so.  I was wondering how many survivors still smoked and are NED.

Comments

• z
    z Member Posts: 1,414 Member
    Sierra

I quit before tx started on 5-4-09, and Im glad I did I feel better now than I had before I quit.  Smoking is not good for any part of your body.    I used the nicorette gum which I loved.  Then on a follow up scan a year later a new primary lung cancer was found and I had it removed.  So far so good.  Lori

• RoseC
    RoseC Member Posts: 559
    I'm ashamed to say that yes,

I'm ashamed to say that yes, I still smoke. 5 1/2 years ned - but whether or not smoking was related to the anal cancer (I don't think so) doesn't matter - it's bad no matter how one looks at it. Not just cancers but emphesema, copd, and a host of other ailments. I need to make a new effort to quit.

Congratulations on quitting - I envy you. Stay strong (and tell me, how did you do it?).

Please, no criticism, I know it's bad. But any helpful hints on quitting are appreciated.

• sierra28
    sierra28 Member Posts: 70
    RoseC said:

I'm ashamed to say that yes, I still smoke. 5 1/2 years ned - but whether or not smoking was related to the anal cancer (I don't think so) doesn't matter - it's bad no matter how one looks at it. Not just cancers but emphesema, copd, and a host of other ailments. I need to make a new effort to quit.

Congratulations on quitting - I envy you. Stay strong (and tell me, how did you do it?).

Please, no criticism, I know it's bad. But any helpful hints on quitting are appreciated.

quit smoking

Hi Rose.

What made me quit was the doctor told me that by quittibng I would have good rich clean blood that was needed for me to beat this cancer.  I stopped smoking cold turkey 3 days before I started my treatment because it take 72 to hours to get the nicotine out of your system.  I went thru withdrawal the sasme time I had my first round of chemo so it didn't seem so bad.

• z
    z Member Posts: 1,414 Member
    RoseC said:

RoseC

I used the nicorette gum, which I loved it.  I quit using that when I was in the hospital for 3 days for my vats procedure for removal of my lower right lung lobe on 9-23-10.  I had a new primary lung cancer.  I was a 1a and didn't require chemo/rad.  So far so good.  

I was a 35 year smoker.  Both anal and lung are attributed to smoking.  One of the causes of anal cancer is smoking.  I think with smoking my immune system couldn't stop the hpv from causing the cancer because my immune system was compromised from smoking.  

If I knew the world would be ending I would go buy a carton of cigarettes and a keg of beer.  Since I want to live I will not smoke anymore, although at times I want to.  I know its hard to quit, and I wouldn't have until the anal cancer dx and my dr telling me I would get through tx better.  I quit on 5-4-09.

I wish you well Lori.