Recent surgery

OldmanBill
OldmanBill Member Posts: 5

Divinci partial left nephrectomy June 10th. Still swollen, very sore. I am 60 years old. Wonder if this is normal or not?

Thanks, God bless

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Comments

  • icemantoo
    icemantoo Member Posts: 3,361 Member
    Swelling

    OldmanBill,

    You are still young. I was 59 when I had my neph 12 years ago. The swelling will take 6 months or more to get back to normal. If you feel it is a concern bring it up to your surgeon. So far with what you wrote, your recovery sounds normal to me.

     

    Icemantoo

  • a_oaklee
    a_oaklee Member Posts: 566 Member
    With what you wrote it sounds

    With what you wrote it sounds normal to me too.  It takes awhile.  

  • Melliebean
    Melliebean Member Posts: 53
    Hi

    I haven't had surgery yet. But I hope your swelling gets better anything you feel is not right report to the dr though. Listen to your body. I wish you a speedy recovery.

  • Djinnie
    Djinnie Member Posts: 945
    Swelling!

    Hi Bill,

    I had Divinci surgery last year, the swelling and feeling of bloating is very normal. It will take several months before you are back to normal. They have had to cut through a lot of muscle and tissue to get to your kidney and your insides will have been moved around a bit. Make sure you take care not to strain yourself in anyway in lifting bending etc. You are very susceptible to herniation at this stage. I developed a small hernia which will have to be fixed sometime. With hindsight I wish I had worn a support. Take care and heal well:)

     

    Djinnie

  • dhs1963
    dhs1963 Member Posts: 513
    10 days post surgery, I could not move

    I did not have robotic surgery; rather hand assisted...but I am two years out and still have significant pain.  Mine is not normal, but not unheard of.

    I also have general abdominal swelling...my wife and tween daughter point out that the swelling was present before surgery, and I am just fat.

  • aamdsi
    aamdsi Member Posts: 284
    Sounds pretty normal

    Had an open in March and it took awhile for all the swelling to decrease.  In fact the incision is still a bit noticablly raised.  As for still hurting, thatt's totally normal.  As someone already piinted out, think what they did to get to the kidney.

    i can say that everyday you will start feeling a little better and the more you walk and move, the better you feel too.

    Glad you are on this side of it all 8-).  It does get better, but any questions and concerns - ask your docctor. 

  • APny
    APny Member Posts: 1,995 Member
    aamdsi said:

    Sounds pretty normal

    Had an open in March and it took awhile for all the swelling to decrease.  In fact the incision is still a bit noticablly raised.  As for still hurting, thatt's totally normal.  As someone already piinted out, think what they did to get to the kidney.

    i can say that everyday you will start feeling a little better and the more you walk and move, the better you feel too.

    Glad you are on this side of it all 8-).  It does get better, but any questions and concerns - ask your docctor. 

    You're only 10 days out so

    You're only 10 days out so there will be some swelling and soreness. I'm 62 and mine was an open parital in March like aamdsi's, and I too have some swelling above the incision. Kind of like a little sausage, lol. Only you know what you mean by soreness, but I wasn't in pain. Only sore. So if yours is really painful and it's concerning you then you should discuss it with your surgeon.

  • foxhd
    foxhd Member Posts: 3,181 Member
    APny said:

    You're only 10 days out so

    You're only 10 days out so there will be some swelling and soreness. I'm 62 and mine was an open parital in March like aamdsi's, and I too have some swelling above the incision. Kind of like a little sausage, lol. Only you know what you mean by soreness, but I wasn't in pain. Only sore. So if yours is really painful and it's concerning you then you should discuss it with your surgeon.

    The good news

    is you don't seem to have much to complain about. You've had quite an insult. Give it time.

  • Galrim
    Galrim Member Posts: 307
    Quite normal

    As for how long it will be sore, its very individual, anywhere from being gone tomorrow up to 6 months I would say...

    /G

  • rainsandpours
    rainsandpours Member Posts: 136
    Galrim said:

    Quite normal

    As for how long it will be sore, its very individual, anywhere from being gone tomorrow up to 6 months I would say...

    /G

    At 10 days out, I was still

    At 10 days out, I was still on pain meds every 4 hours, and could hardly move.  8 months later and I still get zings of pain now and then.  Bloating too.  My gp assured me that even a year later, some patients are still very uncomfortable and on meds.  Go slow, don't push yourself.  Your internal stitches have months to dissolve yet.

  • Jojo61
    Jojo61 Member Posts: 1,309 Member

    At 10 days out, I was still

    At 10 days out, I was still on pain meds every 4 hours, and could hardly move.  8 months later and I still get zings of pain now and then.  Bloating too.  My gp assured me that even a year later, some patients are still very uncomfortable and on meds.  Go slow, don't push yourself.  Your internal stitches have months to dissolve yet.

    I consider myself lucky as I

    I consider myself lucky as I had very little pain. The swelling, however, still remains, 7 months later. You can see a substantial lump on the right side (if that is what you mean by swelling). When I went for my first follow up scan, I mentioned it to the doctor and he said it was not a hernia. He said to massage it while I am in the shower. It has actually helped. It isn't gone, but it is a little smaller....or the rest of me is getting fatter! Embarassed