Had 5 cavities filled yesterday

Options
PJ47
PJ47 Member Posts: 376

All went well.  I chose to try it without novacaine as my dentist said the cavities were not deep and were near the bottom of my 4 front teeth and top of one lower tooth.

I cranked up tunes on my I-phone so I would not have to listen to the drill and distracted myself. I could still hear my dentist huming and tapping (he sings and plays music)  In about an hour, they were drilled, cleaned out and filled with composite bonding and look better than before!  Whew, hope I can keep that from happening again.

Just read an encouraging article about a new technique that can heal teeth painlessly and prevent cavities.  It may be available in about 3 years and Kings College in London announced it this week!

It is called electrically accelerated and enhanced remineralization developed by Reminova LTd.  Sounds like a great treatment for anyone and especially for us head and neck folks short on saliva.

PJ

Comments

• debbiejeanne
    debbiejeanne Member Posts: 3,102 Member
    Options
    PJ, I'm glad that is behind

PJ, I'm glad that is behind you!  i absolutely fear the dentist.  I used to get my teeth filled w/o numbing but then switched dentist and the new one wouldn't.  said if he hit a nerve i'd jump out of my skin.  i am tooooo afraid of the needles now.  don't know if i could take the numbing or not.  i really don't think i could sit for an hour!  you're my hero.  well, i hope you never have to go thru this again.  now, enjoy the rest of your day!

dj

• KTeacher
    KTeacher Member Posts: 1,103
    Options
    Glad

I am glad all went well.  I do not like going to the dentist but I do keep my regular appointments.  I always have a little lidocaine liquid that I rub on my mouth before work starts.  It hurts to open my mouth very wide.  My dentist is really good, to bad I had horrible dentists when I was a kid.

• donfoo
    donfoo Member Posts: 1,771 Member
    Options
    nice to be done

PJ,

So how long since you knew you developed 5 cavities? Was this really quick or built up over time? Always nice to get more informed about how our teeth hold up or suffer post tx. I have a couple cavities but they have been there for awhile. Taking advantage of new dental insurance that covers costs well. Just got couple root canals and two crowns. Almost caught up after the two cavities. Hope you are done too. Don

• hwt
    hwt Member Posts: 2,328 Member
    Options
    donfoo said:

nice to be done

PJ,

So how long since you knew you developed 5 cavities? Was this really quick or built up over time? Always nice to get more informed about how our teeth hold up or suffer post tx. I have a couple cavities but they have been there for awhile. Taking advantage of new dental insurance that covers costs well. Just got couple root canals and two crowns. Almost caught up after the two cavities. Hope you are done too. Don

PJ

Sounds like the root cavities that I developed quickly. They were on the surface, some teeth had more than one. Can't recall now, 10 or 20 all got done in two visits.Not painful. Don, I simply noticed a black dot where tooth meets gum and that is what got me to dentist.

• PJ47
    PJ47 Member Posts: 376
    Options
    donfoo said:

nice to be done

PJ,

Hi Don and HWT

They came fast as I had a cleaning and check up end of Jan. (1 month after I finished rads), and I felt a kind of ridge with my tongue along the back of my front teeth then looked in a magnifying mirror and saw brown spots on the bottom of my 4 front teeth and on one lower tooth.  I think it was in mid May, so only 3-4 mos!  Glad to hear you have good dental insurance.  

HWT, I am keeping watch on the gum line also.  Thanks for the post.

My husband needs 2 crowns and 2 cavities filled so now we must focus on his teeth.  

I am being more diligent for sure,

PJ