New teal sister

Options
Jue
Jue Member Posts: 80

Hello all , have been reading this site since being diagnosed on 1st April this year,  some of you lovely ladies have made me laugh and cry and given me the strength to fight my diagnosis.  After months of doctors visits for integestion tummy pain and bloating eventually a laparoscopy was done and I was diagnosed with stage 3c ovarian cancer spread to my ometeum and fluid in my stomach, I'm 47 years old and in a good place a happy marriage so this hit me like a hammer , I wanted surgeryto get this out but my gyn onc told me I needed chemo first the usual from what you have all said carboplatin and taxol . I have had 3 treatments and my ca125 has gone from 1125 to 175 which is good my surgery was scheduled for tomorrow but has just been cancelled and moved to next week , I guess that's the British nhs for you, I'm feeling a little down about this as I had myself geared up for it if you can understand that. I'm on the icon 8 trial but it has given me the standard 3weekly treatments the only good thing is extra checks if I get to remission. When your diagnosed life changes forever in that moment,  I go from sheer panic to determination to fight this horrible disease , I've stopped googling and just look at this site only as I think we are all individuals and some of the information is outdated and crap. 

Comments

• kimberly sue 63
    kimberly sue 63 Member Posts: 421 Member
    Options
    It is never easy to face

It is never easy to face cancer and all of its treatments. It is also hard to digest the statistics and difficult course for ovarian cancer. However, research is changing how we treat cancer every day. My hope is soon we will find improved, longer lasting treatment for all of us. Stay strong and I hope for a speedy recovery after surgery. Kim

• Alexandra
    Alexandra Member Posts: 1,308
    Options
    Welcome to CSN Jue

Sorry you had to join our ranks under these circumstances but nevertheless good to have you with us. Congratulations on the significant CA125 drop! It gives your surgeon the best chance to get all visible cancer out and gives you the best chance for the long remission and overall survival. I had 4 rounds of chemo before surgery as well and 3 after. 

Good luck with your surgery next week! It is not as bad a you imagine. If you have any questions - ask away; we've all been there and would be happy to help.

Best wishes and big hugs from Canada,

Alexandra

• Jue
    Options
    Alexandra said:

Welcome to CSN Jue

Sorry you had to join our ranks under these circumstances but nevertheless good to have you with us. Congratulations on the significant CA125 drop! It gives your surgeon the best chance to get all visible cancer out and gives you the best chance for the long remission and overall survival. I had 4 rounds of chemo before surgery as well and 3 after. 

Good luck with your surgery next week! It is not as bad a you imagine. If you have any questions - ask away; we've all been there and would be happy to help.

Best wishes and big hugs from Canada,

Alexandra

Thankyou  Kim and alexandra

Thankyou  Kim and alexandra for your positive words think I needed to hear them after op cancelled , I'm glad to know I'm not the only one that had chemo first was never really explained why , I also had specks all over ct scan picture , I've never seen it it's just what I've been told , think things done a little different here . Lets hope next week goes ahead on schedule , not really scared of op already had hysterectomy 10years ago , they left my ovaries in !  but just hoping they get out as much as they can , I was told by my surgeon that  "we aren't as radical as surgeons in America " . Trouble is I want radical as I understand it , it's my best option . My nurse said I should look at it as a chronic illness that treatment can constantly knock back as long as I can stand the treatment , damn sure I can if it makes me live longer . God I'm back to fighting talk already ! Julie

• Susan P
    Susan P Member Posts: 103
    Options
    Jue said:

Thankyou  Kim and alexandra

Thankyou  Kim and alexandra for your positive words think I needed to hear them after op cancelled , I'm glad to know I'm not the only one that had chemo first was never really explained why , I also had specks all over ct scan picture , I've never seen it it's just what I've been told , think things done a little different here . Lets hope next week goes ahead on schedule , not really scared of op already had hysterectomy 10years ago , they left my ovaries in !  but just hoping they get out as much as they can , I was told by my surgeon that  "we aren't as radical as surgeons in America " . Trouble is I want radical as I understand it , it's my best option . My nurse said I should look at it as a chronic illness that treatment can constantly knock back as long as I can stand the treatment , damn sure I can if it makes me live longer . God I'm back to fighting talk already ! Julie

new teal sister

Hi Jue - myCA 125was 4000 at the beginning - My first ascites fluid drain was 8 liters and began slowing down as the carbo/ taxal beganI had a round of tx killing cancer cells. I had a round of chemo & CATscan - only to betyold the tumours had NOT shrunk enough tthe surgeon had me do another round & finally she was happy enough to schedule  surgery  what -  What  shee explained made perfect sense - she has an acceptable size of visinble tumor she will leave during debulking  very tiny in the 1/4" to 2 cm range  so the s maller the visible tumours are the less damage to tissue wilk occur - making it easier oin  your body thrn I figured if she felt shrinking more oulcould give a better outcome - she was the expert .  my timelline: - diag May2013. 4 "x6" tumour on left ovay  Chemo started May 24/13 - surgery Oct/14 suiccessful. Last Chemo Apr/14  CA125 17 & remission reached  June/14 - 1 yr later - nNow see doc -every 3 mos -"Wait & see"  re chronic oingoing illness - I kind of think she's right we wwill never be 100% cured - just go through pereiods od no avtive cancer - like me -I don't see how absolutely every cancer cell is gone from my body.  they are silentlt sleeping & not

rapidly multiplying there is some positive in this - I figure there are millions of people out thgere with cancer growiong & have no idea untill ill - I will be monitored  & caight early if it recurs  & being in the oncology system - I would immediately be referred to the corrrect oncologisyt for the location of the recurrance.

in short , Jue, each doc treats each situation as they areddifferently

I an jusat so grateful to be in Canada with our universal health care so Money & costs will NEVER stand in the way of my care & TX'x

Quit worrying - no amount of woworry will change any trhing.

Learn what you can from here & american. Canadian Cancer sites - trusted sites.  the more you know the more power you habve to fight i. ask you docs & chemo nurses  to explain things I had T X at 2 lkocatilocations & must say ---

CHEMO NURSES ROCK!!

Susan P.  FRom Alberta, Canada and TX and WY

• lovesanimals
    lovesanimals Member Posts: 1,366 Member
    Options
    Susan P said:

new teal sister

Hi Jue - myCA 125was 4000 at the beginning - My first ascites fluid drain was 8 liters and began slowing down as the carbo/ taxal beganI had a round of tx killing cancer cells. I had a round of chemo & CATscan - only to betyold the tumours had NOT shrunk enough tthe surgeon had me do another round & finally she was happy enough to schedule  surgery  what -  What  shee explained made perfect sense - she has an acceptable size of visinble tumor she will leave during debulking  very tiny in the 1/4" to 2 cm range  so the s maller the visible tumours are the less damage to tissue wilk occur - making it easier oin  your body thrn I figured if she felt shrinking more oulcould give a better outcome - she was the expert .  my timelline: - diag May2013. 4 "x6" tumour on left ovay  Chemo started May 24/13 - surgery Oct/14 suiccessful. Last Chemo Apr/14  CA125 17 & remission reached  June/14 - 1 yr later - nNow see doc -every 3 mos -"Wait & see"  re chronic oingoing illness - I kind of think she's right we wwill never be 100% cured - just go through pereiods od no avtive cancer - like me -I don't see how absolutely every cancer cell is gone from my body.  they are silentlt sleeping & not

rapidly multiplying there is some positive in this - I figure there are millions of people out thgere with cancer growiong & have no idea untill ill - I will be monitored  & caight early if it recurs  & being in the oncology system - I would immediately be referred to the corrrect oncologisyt for the location of the recurrance.

in short , Jue, each doc treats each situation as they areddifferently

I an jusat so grateful to be in Canada with our universal health care so Money & costs will NEVER stand in the way of my care & TX'x

Quit worrying - no amount of woworry will change any trhing.

Learn what you can from here & american. Canadian Cancer sites - trusted sites.  the more you know the more power you habve to fight i. ask you docs & chemo nurses  to explain things I had T X at 2 lkocatilocations & must say ---

CHEMO NURSES ROCK!!

Susan P.  FRom Alberta, Canada and TX and WY

Dear Julie

I am so sorry that you've joined our "club" but you've joined a club full of loving and supportive women.  We know all too well how shocked, scared and worried you feel when you get the cancer diagnosis.  However, please know that you have every reason to be hopeful and positive about the future.  There are women, diagnosed at stage 3C and 4, who have achieved NED (no evidence of disease) and live long and fullfilling lives.  I have a friend who is a 11-year stage 3C survivor.  While her dances with NED have been brief, she would be the first to say that her life has been very satisfying.  She and her husband go on at least three or four trips every year, and she fits in her chemo around her travel schedule.  (They make good use of the discounts they receive from him previously working with the airlines.)

Please come here often as your journey progresses.  Sending lots of positive thoughts and energy your way!

Hugs,

Kelly

• Jue
    Options
    Thankyou for your positive

Thankyou for your positive thoughts , I guess the chemo first makes sense in my case , it's just when your diagnosed it's natural to want the cancer out of you and be impatient for progress, but  with this disease patience is something I need to learn as we are all in this for the long haul. Having such a lovely group of ladies wishing me luck and being here for support and information is great , op now confirmed on 25th June 2014 , Canada does seem to have a great healthcare service ours is ok but the waiting times are not good . Best wishes to you all and thanks.

• mom2greatkids
    mom2greatkids Member Posts: 528
    Options
    Jue said:

Thankyou for your positive

Thankyou for your positive thoughts , I guess the chemo first makes sense in my case , it's just when your diagnosed it's natural to want the cancer out of you and be impatient for progress, but  with this disease patience is something I need to learn as we are all in this for the long haul. Having such a lovely group of ladies wishing me luck and being here for support and information is great , op now confirmed on 25th June 2014 , Canada does seem to have a great healthcare service ours is ok but the waiting times are not good . Best wishes to you all and thanks.

Sorry to have you meet this

Sorry to have you meet this way, but I am gald you found this board.  You will find these ladies to be most supportive.  Best wishes to you as you fight this battle.  Please feel free to come on this board and vent, cry, laugh, whatever you feel necessary.

Carla

• Jue
    Options

Sorry to have you meet this

Sorry to have you meet this way, but I am gald you found this board.  You will find these ladies to be most supportive.  Best wishes to you as you fight this battle.  Please feel free to come on this board and vent, cry, laugh, whatever you feel necessary.

Carla

Thankyou Carla there maybe

Thankyou Carla there maybe times when I feel like doing all the things you say , I've never been on such a roller coaster of emotions like it since I was diagnosed ! it's great to know that there are others out ther that just get it ! Julie