Medicare ?

Options
mom2greatkids
mom2greatkids Member Posts: 528

Hi ladies,

In August I will be eligible for medicare since I will have been on disability for 2 years.  (I will turn 52 in August).  Anyway, I have been working with an insurance agent to find my supplement and drug coverage.  He said that most of the time medicare will not pay for clinical trials.  That option is probably in my future, as we are running out of options.

Are any of you on a clinical trial with medicare?

Thanks,

Carla

Comments

• scatsm
    scatsm Member Posts: 296 Member
    Options
    Carla

I believe clinical trial costs are covered by the drug manufacturer. I hope I'm right!

• Alexandra
    Alexandra Member Posts: 1,308
    Options
    Trials

I don't know how Medicare works, because I'm in Canada. Clinical trial drugs, procedures and expenses related only to the trial (biopsy? genetic testing? travel? parking? lodging?) are covered by the trial sponsor. Procedures you would've had anyways (CT, X-Rays, blood tests, etc.) are covered by your insurance (Medicare?)

• jbeans888
    jbeans888 Member Posts: 313
    Options
    Alexandra said:

Trials

I don't know how Medicare works, because I'm in Canada. Clinical trial drugs, procedures and expenses related only to the trial (biopsy? genetic testing? travel? parking? lodging?) are covered by the trial sponsor. Procedures you would've had anyways (CT, X-Rays, blood tests, etc.) are covered by your insurance (Medicare?)

Clinical trials are free and

Clinical trials are free and at no expense to the patient because it's a trial. I am thinking about going on one that's how I know.  The only expense is if the trial was in another state you would have to travel.  Medicare should cover 80% of the physicians fees

• kimberly sue 63
    kimberly sue 63 Member Posts: 421 Member
    Options
    I may be wrong, but clinical

I may be wrong, but clinical trials are not a cost to the patient.  HEY ARE TRIALS AND THUS HAVE SPONSORS OR GRANTS TO PAY FOR THE TRIAL. i WAS AT MY ONCOLOGIST TODAY AND WE WERE LOOKING FOR A TRIAL. tHE ONLY AVAILABLE TRIALS WITH A parp INHIBITOR THAT i WOULD QUALIFY FOR WAS IN mARYLAND. mY ONCOLOGIST STATED IF i WANTED AND QUALIFIED FOR THE TRIAL THE TRIAL PAYS FOR ME TO FLIY TO mARYLAND AND FOR MY HOTEL WHILE IM THERE. kIM  (sorry for caps) oops!