Trying To Deal With Diagnosis

Options
2»

Comments

• Crazymom
    Crazymom Member Posts: 339 Member
    Options
    Dealing with Diagnosis

Sorry you are joining our club, but although this is difficult it is doable.  I had it easier than most, but when tough times were there I survived and am doing great now.  There was one week when I had to drive myself to radiation.  One day I was driving home on I10 (very busy freeway)  in Houston Tx going 50 miles an hour and I vomitted on myself and the car.  I thought I was not going to make it home...I did.   When I got home I cleaned it up.  A number of nights my kids were home alone.  We all survived.  I was surprised the peopel who wanted to help me.  A friend said I should send out an email to some of the mothers of my sons and ask for them to help with dinner.  I said to my husband, "how embarassing...I doubt anyone will respond. "  They did respond and delivered dinner to my family every night for the last three weeks of radiation.  Just take a day at a time and take any help that may be given.  If people offer to help...take it....save it for when the radiation is bad...last few weeks.  You have a tough road ahead, but you can do it.  Ann

• JC F
    JC F Member Posts: 74
    Options
    Crazymom said:

Dealing with Diagnosis

Sorry you are joining our club, but although this is difficult it is doable.  I had it easier than most, but when tough times were there I survived and am doing great now.  There was one week when I had to drive myself to radiation.  One day I was driving home on I10 (very busy freeway)  in Houston Tx going 50 miles an hour and I vomitted on myself and the car.  I thought I was not going to make it home...I did.   When I got home I cleaned it up.  A number of nights my kids were home alone.  We all survived.  I was surprised the peopel who wanted to help me.  A friend said I should send out an email to some of the mothers of my sons and ask for them to help with dinner.  I said to my husband, "how embarassing...I doubt anyone will respond. "  They did respond and delivered dinner to my family every night for the last three weeks of radiation.  Just take a day at a time and take any help that may be given.  If people offer to help...take it....save it for when the radiation is bad...last few weeks.  You have a tough road ahead, but you can do it.  Ann

Thanks...

For all the supportive comments. About to have PEG put in on Friday and then begin the chemo and rads next Wednesday. Still wish it was all a bad dream but know it's harsh reality. Guess I'll just have to endure the battle and come out on the other end. Not getting a lot of good omens lately, cat died a few weeks ago and it was just five years old, now my favorite first cousin just died this week, going to funeral on Saturday...the summer from hell continues...

• KB56
    KB56 Member Posts: 318 Member
    Options
    Diagnosis

JC,  many others have already posted and really all of our stories are very similar.  Typically one day you feel fine and then WHAM, you get told some news that you were not expecting at all and your life forever changes.  

I'm not going to tell you it will be a piece of cake and that it won't be without it challenges along the way.   But, I will tell you that the cure rate is pretty high , I'm sure Ottawa has great medical care (not to mention a beautiful city), and your odds of beating this and being cured are very high.  I don't know your staging, cause, etc but you are doing everything you need to do in order to beat this.   Dentist, mask fitting, PEG tube, getting the plan worked out with the doctors, etc.  you are doing great with all your prep and that is really the first step but very important.  

You've seen a lot of happy ending stories on the site and you have to believe you will as well.   You're at the hardest part now in doing all the prep,  tests, mask, etc waiting, and once you get started it will go pretty quick.   It will be tough but no reason to think you won't be able to walk 7 minutes to/from the hospital.  It should be beautiful weather in Ottawa this time of year and the exercise/fresh air will probably  be good for you.  

You can do this.   Get mentally prepared, stay positive and before you know it this will be behind you.   

Good luck,

keith