dentist

Options
chris8588
chris8588 Member Posts: 57

Has anybody gone to the dentist while on chemo.  If so what was the procedure.  I really need to go.

Comments

• Alexandra
    Alexandra Member Posts: 1,308
    Options
    Hi Chris

I've been to the dentist during chemo and the day before hysterectomy. I told them that I was on chemo just in case there was a bleeding. No procedure and no problem.

One doctor refused me botox injection because I was on chemo. Another one didn't. I don't think there are any cut and dry rules.

• ConnieSW
    ConnieSW Member Posts: 1,678 Member
    Options
    Alexandra said:

Hi Chris

I've been to the dentist during chemo and the day before hysterectomy. I told them that I was on chemo just in case there was a bleeding. No procedure and no problem.

One doctor refused me botox injection because I was on chemo. Another one didn't. I don't think there are any cut and dry rules.

Agree with Alexandra.

When I asked, my gyn oncologist referred me to my dentist; my dentist referred me to my oncologist.  I f they can't decide, how was I supposed to?  Luckily I just needed a check and cleaning so I put it off till I was done.

• wholfmeister
    wholfmeister Member Posts: 315
    Options
    As usual

Hi!  I think it is really important not to ignore your oral health.  I have gone to the dentist as usual every six months for cleaning and check up.  And I had a crown put on a molar because  the side broke off.  My dentist  checked with pharmacy regarding all my chemo and other meds.  He always says to be sure and call if I ever have mouth issues because of the cancer treatments. A really nice guy.  The hygienist sends me hand-made cheery cards every so often.  Great additions to my support system!

Funny side note:  Because I have huge old fillings in my molars from childhood, my dentist has been wanting me to systematically replace about 12 teeth with crowns.  I have resisted, teasing him that he is young, with small kids, a big mortgage and college loans to repay.  The teeth work just fine and I will replace them as(and if) they ever need it.  Since cancer, he doesn't bug me about it any more!

• seatown
    seatown Member Posts: 261 Member
    Options
    It depends. . .

I have been on chemo of 1 sort or another for most of the last 2 years, & my oncologist didn't want me having any oral surgery while on Avastin. As I recall, it's a potential bleeding issue. But when a tooth broke, I had to have emergency oral surgery to remove it while on Avastin. No problems. But I did have to delay having a dental implant to replace that tooth until I was off Avastin. I've had regular cleaning throughout chemo with no problems. I agree, you shouldn't ignore your oral health.

• wholfmeister
    wholfmeister Member Posts: 315
    Options
    seatown said:

It depends. . .

I have been on chemo of 1 sort or another for most of the last 2 years, & my oncologist didn't want me having any oral surgery while on Avastin. As I recall, it's a potential bleeding issue. But when a tooth broke, I had to have emergency oral surgery to remove it while on Avastin. No problems. But I did have to delay having a dental implant to replace that tooth until I was off Avastin. I've had regular cleaning throughout chemo with no problems. I agree, you shouldn't ignore your oral health.

You're right!

I just had Avastin added to my chemo on Friday, and they went over all the bleeding risks.  You should be ok for routine dentistry.  Just be sure you tell them everything you are on, and give them time to check it out.