Does anyone drink alcohol since after their treatment?

Options
2»

Comments

• z
    z Member Posts: 1,414 Member
    Options
    Helen321 said:

I don't drink and I still had

I don't drink and I still had a cancer recurrence so enjoy yourself here and there!

Helen

Hi Helen, Are you in this picture?  Are these your daughters?  I have often wondered. 

I have'nt drank since 2-14-1988 and was dx with cancer on 5-09.  I did smoke for 35 years and quit on 5-4-09, before tx started.  Then on 9-23-10 I had a vats procedure to remove my lower right lung lobe.  That was a new primary not a met.  So far so good for me.  I think my anal cancer was cause from hpv and smoking,  I know the anal tumor had hpv.  I think the lung cancer was from smoking and it had no hpv.

• Helen321
    Helen321 Member Posts: 1,459 Member
    Options
    No I gave it up since I read

No I gave it up since I read that alcohol can cause cancer. I also gave up barbeque since it is a known carcinogen.  I cganged my diet completely to organic.  I also gave up red meat.  I went through two years of hell to get the cancer out of my body. I'm doing a permanent lifestyle change. I went out once and when I eat drinking all I could think is this is just not worth my life 

• sandysp
    sandysp Member Posts: 868 Member
    Options
    No

I enjoyed alcohol until I began having inner ear problems before my cancer diagnosis. I really liked everything. Drinking in nice restaurants fine wine particularly. Also cooking at home with wine and beer with my sushi and/or popcorn.

Now I don't miss it at all. 

I don't drink now because of stomach acid. So many foods irritate my stomach that I can't imagine adding alcohol to the mix. 

The dizziness from inner ear problems is gone now that I lost the hearing in my left ear and went through a bit of a night mare last summer, but since I am used to just not drinking, I decided to stay dry. 

I am 64 and a lot of my friends quit drinking too so it's not such a big deal.

Sincerely,

Sandy

• Angela_K
    Angela_K Member Posts: 374 Member
    Options
    Occasionally

I will have an occasional glass of red wine or a beer or a vodka-soda.  I've cut back considerably since treatment just because alcohol turns to sugar and causes inflammation.  Don't feel like I'm living in a prison at all.  Just taking better care of myself and don't want to feel sluggish the next morning.

• qv62
    qv62 Member Posts: 434 Member
    Options
    mp327 said:

qv62

It was probably 3 months or so before I had my first drink post-treatment.  And that was only after I had asked my med onc and he told me to go for it!  Like Gabby said, we all must continue to live our lives and enjoy simple pleasures, such as a cold beer on a hot summer day.  I think you'll know when your body can handle a little alcohol.  Moderation is key and I would suggest having that first drink at home to test the waters, so to speak.   

mp327

Hi Martha, I just read my post that you answered and I had to laugh since I wrote that (having cravings) I was still in treatment and now that treatment ended I haven't had any cravings. Although we are having a little family brunch for the graduates tomorrow so I might have a mimosa or two if the mood strikes me  lol