Osteoporosis

AZedj
AZedj Member Posts: 20 Member

Am post 10 months and am told that I now have osteoporosis. Wondering how many of you are now in this situation and what did you choose to do. I understand the treatment is the new disease.

Comments

• mp327
    mp327 Member Posts: 4,440 Member
    AZedj

I can completely relate to your situation.  I have known for about 4 years now that my bones were in the osteopenia stage, but my last DEXA scan showed a progression to osteoporosis in my right hip.  The left hip and lumbar spine continue to show osteopenia at a high level.  My gyno ran a bunch of bloodwork on me and had me do a 24-hour urine collection to see how much calcium was coming out in my urine, which would indicate how much I am actually absorbing.  All the bloodwork and that test came back fine.  However, she had me begin Fosamax.  I've been on it now for almost 3 months with no side effects or known problems.  I am a runner and have continued running without problems.  I also take calcium, magnesium and vitamin D. 

Weight bearing exercise is very good to help your bones, so begin a walking program if you're not already a walker.  You didn't say where your osteoprosis showed up, but lifting weights can also help.  I lift weights 2 times per week.

I wish you all the best with this new challenge of keeping your bones from deteriorating further!

• AZedj
    mp327 said:

AZedj

I can completely relate to your situation.  I have known for about 4 years now that my bones were in the osteopenia stage, but my last DEXA scan showed a progression to osteoporosis in my right hip.  The left hip and lumbar spine continue to show osteopenia at a high level.  My gyno ran a bunch of bloodwork on me and had me do a 24-hour urine collection to see how much calcium was coming out in my urine, which would indicate how much I am actually absorbing.  All the bloodwork and that test came back fine.  However, she had me begin Fosamax.  I've been on it now for almost 3 months with no side effects or known problems.  I am a runner and have continued running without problems.  I also take calcium, magnesium and vitamin D. 

Weight bearing exercise is very good to help your bones, so begin a walking program if you're not already a walker.  You didn't say where your osteoprosis showed up, but lifting weights can also help.  I lift weights 2 times per week.

I wish you all the best with this new challenge of keeping your bones from deteriorating further!

I was told osteopenia in

I was told osteopenia in spine and osteoprosis in left hip which is only hip they scanned. I have no family history of any of this so my suspicion is radiation side effect. I am much more active than most people and have a job that keeps me moving for long hours a day. I have reasearched  osteoporsis and have all my ducks in a row for my visit with the GYN tomorrow. Just wondering if anybody else has had their bones affected this way. Thanks for your support. 

• AZANNIE
    AZANNIE Member Posts: 445 Member
    AZedj said:

I was told osteopenia in

I was told osteopenia in spine and osteoprosis in left hip which is only hip they scanned. I have no family history of any of this so my suspicion is radiation side effect. I am much more active than most people and have a job that keeps me moving for long hours a day. I have reasearched  osteoporsis and have all my ducks in a row for my visit with the GYN tomorrow. Just wondering if anybody else has had their bones affected this way. Thanks for your support. 

AZedj

Yes, my hip bones were affected. I had a DEXA scan about a year after treatment. The PA recommended I take medication, but decided not to because of the side effects. The following year I had another DEXA scan and it showed slight improvement. My primary care dr suggested I take Prolia, but I decided against that. When I saw my oncologist he wasn't too keen about me taking the medication and said to take calcium and vitamin D. I need to get back on the calcium and vitamin D regiment. I guess my weight bearing exercises are carrying water containers to my chickens at least once a day.  I don't have family history of osteoprosis either. I suspect radiation side effect, too.
    Best of luck to you!

Ann

• TraceyUSA
    TraceyUSA Member Posts: 316
    Me 2

I'm glad you ask this question because I've been wondering the same thing.   

I just had a DEXA scan too.  I had mild osteopenia prior to treatment (which I finished in March 2013).  My recent scan showed a significant loss (8-9%) from my last scan (2 yrs ago) in the femur & lumbar while the radius remained the same.  This tells me that the radiation definitely took it's toll on my bones is that area.  I'm still in the osteopenia range and will be more vigilant about taking calcium, D & minerals (Caltrate purple bottle) and exercising.  Previously I was able to increase my bone density this way.  I really think the weight bearing excerise is very important.  I was also told the caffiene (and alcohol) should be limited because it can cause bone lose (but I love my multiple cups of morning coffee.)

I was also told that DEXA scans should not be done more frequently than every two years because they won't show much change.

• eihtak
    eihtak Member Posts: 1,473 Member
    AZedj.....

Hi, I am a little over 3yrs post treatment for anal cancer and 1yr later was diagnosed with breast cancer. After my treatment for that my bone scans showed several areas of weakening bones and one with osteoporosis. Since the breast cancer med I currently take increases this my doctor strongly encouraged me to take Calcium and Vit D. I also take Fosomax. The way it was explained to me was that at this point the Calcium and D have a hard time adhearing to the bones and do little good without the Fosomax, (or one of others in the same class) to bind to the bones and do much good, as so much is just not absorbed.

I walk daily and do other weight bearing exercises, along with trying to include lots of dark greens in my diet.

I have a scan coming up in a couple weeks so will see if this had made any improvement or at least kept deterioration at bay, but I feel great with only minor aching in my left foot, which was broke many years ago.

Be well........recovery seems an ongoing thing!

katheryn

• AZedj
    Thanks for weighing in and

Thanks for weighing in and letting me know this info. I was told osteoporosis in the hip and osteopenia in the lower spine. I asked the rad/onc Dr and of course was told that radiation has nothing to do with osteoporosis. I expected this from the doctor. My suspicion that this is radiation related. I started on fosamax and calcium and vit D. I was seen by a OB/GYN who didn't want to order a bone density test but after my insistance she ordered it. She also told me to just take the fosamax and that I did not need baseline labs. More bad advice. I got baseline labs drawn so there will be something to compare in one yr and at the two yr mark. Those of us with cancer need to stay on top of our health because not all health care givers are sharp.Thanks to everybody on this site for sharing. I have been reading this for one yr and promise to be more involved so as to help others,

• sandysp
    sandysp Member Posts: 868 Member
    AZedj said:

Thanks for weighing in and

Thanks for weighing in and letting me know this info. I was told osteoporosis in the hip and osteopenia in the lower spine. I asked the rad/onc Dr and of course was told that radiation has nothing to do with osteoporosis. I expected this from the doctor. My suspicion that this is radiation related. I started on fosamax and calcium and vit D. I was seen by a OB/GYN who didn't want to order a bone density test but after my insistance she ordered it. She also told me to just take the fosamax and that I did not need baseline labs. More bad advice. I got baseline labs drawn so there will be something to compare in one yr and at the two yr mark. Those of us with cancer need to stay on top of our health because not all health care givers are sharp.Thanks to everybody on this site for sharing. I have been reading this for one yr and promise to be more involved so as to help others,

Same here

My osteopenia which had reversed itself and was heading in a better direction changed abruptly to early stage osteoporosis per the last scan. I am not on Fosomax. It seems to be limited to my low, low, (low as you can go) back, my hips are still fine:-) 

I don't think the radiation doctor would even concern himself with whether or not it caused osteoporosis. His job of getting rid of a nasty tumor was successful and he is still at his job helping others. I have been neglecting taking my calcium formula so thanks for bringing this up.

Sincerely,

Sandy

• lilou
    lilou Member Posts: 23
    ostéoporose

Undecided  Hello , attention  à l'ostéoporose car pour moi associée à mes séances de radiothérapie pour cancer anal , cela m'a occasionné des fractures du bassin qui ont été longues à se consolider! Aujourd'hui ça va mieux mais s'en est suivie une tendinite du muscle moyen fessier. Tout rentre dans l'ordre avec la kiné !! Je vous envoie mes amitiés.