Options
2»

Comments

• Mikemetz
    Mikemetz Member Posts: 465 Member
    Options
    Bunnymom said:

Weariness

that is a great way to characterize the feeling....weariness. You are right. Fatigue..weariness. Four surgeries and all the time of anxiety waiting in between for scan results is certainly a recipie for fatigue. Mental and emotional fatigue. Now facing this next step on the road to regaining my health. 

I am very lucky. I'm going to an excellent hospital with excellent doctors. I am lucky in many ways. 

I do have a question about the hydrogen peroxide. Did you use it straight or diluted in the spray bottle?

thank you for the support And the tip!

BunnyMom

Treatment fatigue

I can certainly understand your mental and emotional stress at this point.  I called it "treatment fatigue"--when you are just tired of having to deal with so many things for such a long time.  I had a lot of times when I told myself, if I can just be treatment-less for one day, I could accept getting back to the task at hand.  Of course, that couldn't be.

Others here have made some suggestions for how to deal with this, but it all comes down to what works best for you, so maybe just sit back and think about that, and make a plan.

Battling HNC  is not just a physical struggle--it's one that takes strong will and optimism that things WILL get better.  So, hang in there and let us know what we can do to help.

mike

• phrannie51
    phrannie51 Member Posts: 4,716
    Options
    Anxiety at this stage of things

is SO normal....it's all new, it's daunting, and it seems like the end of treatment is so far out there.  Once you get into the daily grind of treatment, a lot of the anxiety goes away.  For one thing, you're actively fighting the cancer.....there's a lot to be said for getting up everyday and taking an active part in your getting well.  The day to day routine will also become more like a job....not so different from going to work everyday. 

This is the perfect time to live one day at a time.....if your mind starts to reach out and think about the what if's of the future, you just drag it back and make the decision that you'll just face what is in this day....tomorrow will be here soon enough.  You'll start hitting the milestones.....the first week done.......hitting the halfway mark.......the final days of counting down.....then poof, it is over. 

We're here, always.

p

• PJ47
    PJ47 Member Posts: 376
    Options
    Bunnymom said:

Hydrogen peroxide

PJ

did you buy it in a spray bottle or put it in ine of your own? I don't think I've seen it available in a spray bottle. 

I don't have the magic mouth wash yet but I'm sure I will get it. Does it numb your mouth? Yes, I have many blessings! 

I think I got it from Walgreens,

but it could have been from Walmart or Rite Aid.  I am sorry but the fog of treatment obscures my memory.  If you cannot find it just put some in a small spray bottle, same thing.  

The Magic Mouthwash is a life saver in many ways.  It is one part Lidocaine, one part Maalox and one part Benedril I think (the fog continues).  I had one pharmacy that did not use this formula and what they made did not work so then I had my MD instruct them how to make it.

I rinsed, gargled and spit it out before each treatment.  The Lidocaine really numbs the whole mouth temporarily.  My R/O said to swallow it, but I did not do that unless my throat was sore because I did not want to be sleepy from the Benedryl.

It made it possible to eat, swallow and take my medicine.  Thinking I went through 2 or 3 large bottles during radiation.

I also took a small mesh bag in with me to hold with a small bracelet my granddaughter made, something from the beach, and 2 angels from friends and kept this in my hand instead of a ball they had.  This just had more meaning to me.

It was normally cold in the room so I kept my shoes and socks on and asked for a warm blanket.

These are some of the nitty gritty detais I can recall.  

Take care,

PJ

• jim and i
    jim and i Member Posts: 1,788 Member
    Options
    Bunnymom, This is hard but

Bunnymom, This is hard but you will get through it. When Jim was in treatment we tried to watch funny shows and avoid anything negative, including people. This group is great for comforting and encouraging. I pray things get peaceful for you and you feel our comfort and care during this time of trial.

Blessings Debbie

• Bunnymom
    Bunnymom Member Posts: 212 Member
    Options
    PJ47 said:

I think I got it from Walgreens,

but it could have been from Walmart or Rite Aid.  I am sorry but the fog of treatment obscures my memory.  If you cannot find it just put some in a small spray bottle, same thing.  

The Magic Mouthwash is a life saver in many ways.  It is one part Lidocaine, one part Maalox and one part Benedril I think (the fog continues).  I had one pharmacy that did not use this formula and what they made did not work so then I had my MD instruct them how to make it.

I rinsed, gargled and spit it out before each treatment.  The Lidocaine really numbs the whole mouth temporarily.  My R/O said to swallow it, but I did not do that unless my throat was sore because I did not want to be sleepy from the Benedryl.

It made it possible to eat, swallow and take my medicine.  Thinking I went through 2 or 3 large bottles during radiation.

I also took a small mesh bag in with me to hold with a small bracelet my granddaughter made, something from the beach, and 2 angels from friends and kept this in my hand instead of a ball they had.  This just had more meaning to me.

It was normally cold in the room so I kept my shoes and socks on and asked for a warm blanket.

These are some of the nitty gritty detais I can recall.  

Take care,

PJ

PJ
    great practical tips. I

PJ

great practical tips. I see that I can get the hydrogen peroxide at my local walgreens. I never noticed it before. 

Im also asking the doctor for magic mouthwash. 

Thank you!

BM

• Bunnymom
    Options
    Goyca said:

5 nice things

When you wake up in the morning or once you leave your house to start your day, please look around in your home, or on the road and try find 5 nice things.

Those things could be anything, any human, place, plant, body organ, ability, skill, etc...

And think of those 5 nice things for a few minutes and gratitude will fill your heart I’m sure.

I do it all the time, its maybe simple or stupid but it helps me.

Bunnymom what we are going through its not ok, and it’s not easy, nor its enjoyable... But sometimes fighting hard is what makes the ending brighter, please have faith that this will end and great days are ahead of you. when you start on june 8 please be sure that you are in my thoughts and prayers.

Sending you lots og hugs and smiles:)

Goyca.

Beautiful. Wonderful,

Beautiful. Wonderful, peaceful advice. Thank you for the warm thoughts, hugs and especially prayers. 

Thank you. 

BunnyMom

• Bunnymom
    Options

bm, I'm sorry you are feeling

bm, I'm sorry you are feeling so anxious but i think that goes with the tx  :0(  we all had that feeling to some degree but it will get better.  once it actually starts, your days will move quickly and you'll be half way thru, then in the single digits!  we will all be here for you whenever you need us.  please keep us posted on your progress and we will travel this road with you.  good luck and God bless you.

dj

dj
    im bringing a calendar

dj

im bringing a calendar with me to check off the days! Thank you for the warm thoughts. I appreciate it. 

BM

• Bunnymom
    Options
    Robyn64 said:

Hello there

Hi Bunnymom,

I know mostly what you are going through, I had my mask made last week. I didnt have any mouth guard though. I am not sure I would have coped with anything else, that was all becoming overwhelming for me. It was the mask and they stack other things on or around it, may have been ct scan, I had ct scan and mri both done same day with new mask. I was in the tunnel for about 30 minutes with loud hammering sounds. I just hope from now on the radiation treatment is less ovewhelming , I believe it is.

I have been advised by a couple of my friends now to take up meditation, I have never ever thought of myself as doing this ever. But my friend sent me a link to a cancer council site here in Australia , on it it had 4 tracks of meditation to listen to . I have been told to pretend you are somewhere else whilst in treatment, leave your body behind, I am aiming to give it a go.

http://www.cancercouncil.com.au/901/cancer-information/general-information-cancer-information/complementary-therapies-general-information-cancer-information/meditation-and-relaxation/cancer-council-new-south-wales-meditation-for-people-with-cancer-their-families-and-carers/

I have heard one track , it is a very peaceful and calming track, havent heard the others yet. You never know, it may help. I just hope I can pretend to be somewhere else during treatment.

My treatment, they aim to start me on the 23rd June. I have an appoint with chemo dr today , to find out all about that side of it. I have a dentist on wednesday and Im really hoping sooo bad that they take no teeth out.

I only just turned 50 and I was hoping for a better year than this :-(

You can do this Bunnymom, I know you can. There is no other way but forward. As my husband says, just focus on the end and not the in between. I am terrified too, you are not alone, we will both get there. XXXXXXXX

Robyn

Robyn,
    Where do I begin?

Robyn,

Where do I begin? First, I'm sorry you are here but I know there are many wonderful people here who offer kind support. 

I love the idea of meditation. I'm bringing an iPod which they can hook up to the sound system in the treatment room. I think I'll make a meditation play list along with the others I've already set up. Good idea. meditation can really help. I think your friends have offered you sound advice. 

I will be starting on June 8th and your starting on June 23rd so we basically are starting about the same time. If, at any time you want to private message me, please feel free to do so. I can also offer you my support, encouragement and prayers. 

How was your oncologist appointment? I hope it went well. It's going to be okay. We will both be okay as this is very curable. 

I am hoping your dental goes well too. I went to the dentist too. You will want to ask him to make the flouride trays for your teeth. I did have an impacted wisdom tooth extracted. I was so worried about it but it really wasn't bad. 

We both can do it. keep strong and focused. That's what I'm trying to do. Let me know if I can help. Thoughts, prayers, hugs your way. 

BunnyMom

• Bunnymom
    Options
    KTeacher said:

Mouth guard

As treatment went on, it was more difficult to get the mouth guard in place.  Techs let me wet my lips and I needed to sit up and look down before they could lock me down.  Support is here.  Ask any questions, someone has gone through something similar.  I found this a good time to close my eyes and pray.   You will get throught it.

thank you for the advice and

thank you for the advice and for relaying your personal experience. It helps so much to know you're not alone 

BunnyMom

• Bunnymom
    Options
    Mikemetz said:

Treatment fatigue

I can certainly understand your mental and emotional stress at this point.  I called it "treatment fatigue"--when you are just tired of having to deal with so many things for such a long time.  I had a lot of times when I told myself, if I can just be treatment-less for one day, I could accept getting back to the task at hand.  Of course, that couldn't be.

Others here have made some suggestions for how to deal with this, but it all comes down to what works best for you, so maybe just sit back and think about that, and make a plan.

Battling HNC  is not just a physical struggle--it's one that takes strong will and optimism that things WILL get better.  So, hang in there and let us know what we can do to help.

mike

Mike,
    yes this is a personal

Mike,

yes this is a personal journey. thank you for taking the time to post and for your support. 

BunnyMom

• Bunnymom
    Options
    Hondo said:

Hi Mom

You sound normal, I think we all get feeling the same way when first starting, so don’t worry too much about that. When you first start the Rad you will feel nothing at all, the Chemo on the other hand is quite different you will feel it from the first day. But all in all just keep positive and find something to keep your focus on and you will do great.

Tim Hondo

thank you Tim. 
    BunnyMom

thank you Tim. 

BunnyMom

• Bunnymom
    Options

Anxiety at this stage of things

is SO normal....it's all new, it's daunting, and it seems like the end of treatment is so far out there.  Once you get into the daily grind of treatment, a lot of the anxiety goes away.  For one thing, you're actively fighting the cancer.....there's a lot to be said for getting up everyday and taking an active part in your getting well.  The day to day routine will also become more like a job....not so different from going to work everyday. 

This is the perfect time to live one day at a time.....if your mind starts to reach out and think about the what if's of the future, you just drag it back and make the decision that you'll just face what is in this day....tomorrow will be here soon enough.  You'll start hitting the milestones.....the first week done.......hitting the halfway mark.......the final days of counting down.....then poof, it is over. 

We're here, always.

p

Phrannie,
    yes I think you're

Phrannie,

yes I think you're right. Sometimes I get way to far ahead of myself and that's a sure recipie for anxiety. This type of thought process can make the whole thing very overwhelming. I know that when this starts to happen, I have to scale back my thinking. 

Today I'm better but I really kept busy. Since I'm going inpatient and have a daughter to look after, I have a laundry list of things to get done before I leave for the hospital for the first 5 day round on Sunday. Ive just want to be as prepared as I can be. Even at that, it's not always possible to think of everything. Sometimes you just have to go with it. 

Im so grateful to everyone that's posted. It helps so much to know people are available to help get me through. Thank you Phrannie!

BunnyMom

• Bunnymom
    Options
    jim and i said:

Bunnymom, This is hard but

Bunnymom, This is hard but you will get through it. When Jim was in treatment we tried to watch funny shows and avoid anything negative, including people. This group is great for comforting and encouraging. I pray things get peaceful for you and you feel our comfort and care during this time of trial.

Blessings Debbie

Thank you Debbie for your

Thank you Debbie for your post. This is a wonderful group and I know if I have any questions about anything that comes up, I can turn to this great group of people to help. 

Thsnk you for your thoughts and prayers. It means so much to me. 

BunnyMom

• Robyn64
    Robyn64 Member Posts: 124
    Options
    best of luck

Hi Bunnymom,

I want to wish you the best of luck in the start of your treatment. I think you said you start on the 8th , I may be a day behind or so being in Australia.

Take care and would love to know how you go ,

Robyn

• Guzzle
    Guzzle Member Posts: 710
    Options
    Robyn64 said:

best of luck

Hi Bunnymom,

I want to wish you the best of luck in the start of your treatment. I think you said you start on the 8th , I may be a day behind or so being in Australia.

Take care and would love to know how you go ,

Robyn

GOGirl!

Go Girl! Take each day as it comes! G.

• patricke
    patricke Member Posts: 570
    Options
    NO WALK IN THE PARK

Hey BunnyMom, 

I'm sorry that you have to go through this treatment, but I want you to know that You Can Do This, even though it will be a challenge.  Remember that some days will be better than others, and that sometimes you may need to take one nanosecond at a time.  Many, many times when I went through my treatment gauntlet, I had to repeatedly, often starting with my awakening in the morning, reminded, and say to myself (very literally) that I Can Do This to push myself forward.  Those are powerful words and thoughts that help me get through difficult situations and experiences at all levels of intensity.  So, buckle up, and always keep in mind, well you know......   Here's sending you major positive thoughts, wishes, energy and mojo to help get you through!!

PATRICK

• Guzzle
    Guzzle Member Posts: 710
    Options
    patricke said:

NO WALK IN THE PARK

Hey BunnyMom, 

I'm sorry that you have to go through this treatment, but I want you to know that You Can Do This, even though it will be a challenge.  Remember that some days will be better than others, and that sometimes you may need to take one nanosecond at a time.  Many, many times when I went through my treatment gauntlet, I had to repeatedly, often starting with my awakening in the morning, reminded, and say to myself (very literally) that I Can Do This to push myself forward.  Those are powerful words and thoughts that help me get through difficult situations and experiences at all levels of intensity.  So, buckle up, and always keep in mind, well you know......   Here's sending you major positive thoughts, wishes, energy and mojo to help get you through!!

PATRICK

Robyn / BM

Thinking of you both. Wishing you an easy journey through treatment. Regards from Liverpool and Best Wishes, Gary

• Robyn64
    Robyn64 Member Posts: 124
    Options
    Guzzle said:

Robyn / BM

Thinking of you both. Wishing you an easy journey through treatment. Regards from Liverpool and Best Wishes, Gary

Thank you

Thank you Gary and to Bunnymom, thinking of you as you start this journey, just focus ahead xxxx

Robyn

• Goyca
    Goyca Member Posts: 220
    Options
    how was it? how are u now?

Hello Bunnymom,

How was ur first day yesterday??

Hope u r doing fine,. stay strong.

Hugs,

Goyca.