Gum cancer in the jawbone 3 years out from treatment I'm here if u have questions

Options
Debi16043
Debi16043 Member Posts: 53
edited May 2014 in Head and Neck Cancer #1

I don't get on her often but my email is debi16043@gmail.com for those out there with questions.  I periodically post this and some have contacted me in the past with their questions.

I am 3 years (June 15) post surgery, had fibula removed from leg to make my new jaw bone.  I had stage 4 scc.  Lymph odes all removed on effected side, free flap, skin graft all teeth removed, dental iimplants and dentures.  radiation, but no chemo.  will be happy to share my experience with anyone.

god bless you all.

debra 

Comments

• Hondo
    Hondo Member Posts: 6,636 Member
    Options
    Hi Debra

Thanks for your help and support.

God bless and keep you in His care while in His workshop

Tim Hondo

• debbiejeanne
    debbiejeanne Member Posts: 3,102 Member
    Options
    debi, wow, you've been thru a

debi, wow, you've been thru a lot!  very glad you are doing well now.  thank you for your willingness to help others.

God bless you,

dj

• hwt
    hwt Member Posts: 2,328 Member
    Options

debi, wow, you've been thru a

debi, wow, you've been thru a lot!  very glad you are doing well now.  thank you for your willingness to help others.

God bless you,

dj

Debra

Thankfully, not too many of us with SCC of the jaw. Wish I had found this forum while I was going through my original tx. back in 2012. What city did you have your surgery done in? Mine was originally done in St Louis but I am now being seen at Mayo in Rochester, MN. Original surgeon said I'd be good as new in 6 months....unfortunately, that was not true.

• traceyd1
    traceyd1 Member Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    Hi Debra,
    I sure wish I had

Hi Debra,

I sure wish I had been able to talk to you two years ago!  My husband had sarcoma of the mandible that started out in the soft tissue and migrated to the jaw.  He had a fibula free flap (he actually had 2.  The first one failed due to poor blood flow due to radiation) in February 2012.  After a hard recovery, he is finally back to his old stamina and can eat just about anything except some breads and meats.  He just had implant posts put in in Dec. and had the caps put on the posts last week.  We hope to get the teeth this summer.  So far, his teeth have been in excellent shape.  Hope this continues.  Cancer of the jaw is so rare, and your's is the first diagnosis we've seen similar to his.  Good luck to you! 

• traceyd1
    traceyd1 Member Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    Hi Debra,
    I sure wish I had

Hi Debra,

I sure wish I had been able to talk to you two years ago!  My husband had sarcoma of the mandible that started out in the soft tissue and migrated to the jaw.  He had a fibula free flap (he actually had 2.  The first one failed due to poor blood flow due to radiation) in February 2012.  After a hard recovery, he is finally back to his old stamina and can eat just about anything except some breads and meats.  He just had implant posts put in in Dec. and had the caps put on the posts last week.  We hope to get the teeth this summer.  So far, his teeth have been in excellent shape.  Hope this continues.  Cancer of the jaw is so rare, and your's is the first diagnosis we've seen similar to his.  Good luck to you!