Numb Thigh

avdoty
avdoty Member Posts: 62

My partial neph was on 5/8. A little less than 2 weeks post op I felt a burning sensation in my left thigh as I was getting dressed.  The burning sensation happened several more times that day.  And then my left thigh became numb the following day.  I saw a neurologist today at Stanford Hospital to figure out what was going on. The best guess is that my femerol nerve was pinched by inflammation from the surgery and that's causing the numbness. Apparently inflammation peaks at about 2 weeks post op.  The good news is that it should resolve on its own but could take 3 to 6 months.  My surgeon never saw this before. Anyone else have this issue?

Comments

  • cjhawk38
    cjhawk38 Member Posts: 44
    Had it too

    I had that with my right thigh too.  I had robotic surgery and never had any of the gas pain in the shoulder that people complain about so I just figured that the gas was trapped against the nerve in my right leg.

     

    Cindy

  • APny
    APny Member Posts: 1,995 Member
    cjhawk38 said:

    Had it too

    I had that with my right thigh too.  I had robotic surgery and never had any of the gas pain in the shoulder that people complain about so I just figured that the gas was trapped against the nerve in my right leg.

     

    Cindy

    I felt the burning too. It

    I felt the burning too. It felt like someone touched my thigh with a lit cigarette. Happened quite a bit during the week following my PN then it stopped. My hip area is still a little numb but getting much more feeling then it did. It's been a little over 2 months for me. 

  • DSFrey
    DSFrey Member Posts: 69
    Interesting

    My right thigh has had the burning and numbness for the past 28 years or so, so obviously not connected with the PN I had this past February. But at least I have a clue what is causing it, even if I do not know why. It hasn't really been too much of a concern of mine to discuss it with anyone so far.

  • foxhd
    foxhd Member Posts: 3,181 Member
    DSFrey said:

    Interesting

    My right thigh has had the burning and numbness for the past 28 years or so, so obviously not connected with the PN I had this past February. But at least I have a clue what is causing it, even if I do not know why. It hasn't really been too much of a concern of mine to discuss it with anyone so far.

    I think we talked about

    this sometime in the past because I am familiar with it. If you are talking about the sensation in the skin area and not deep inside. It is called ,"Cutaneous femoral nerve syndrome." I had it 20 years ago. Mine was from wearing jogging shorts that had a liner. The elastic was a bit snug on my thigh and created the pressure affecting the nerve. A physiatrist I worked with knew what it was and told me. Perhaps having a tourniquet or compression stockings during surgery started this for you guys. It recovers with time. It is something like hitting your funny bone, but lasts much longer.

  • avdoty
    avdoty Member Posts: 62
    foxhd said:

    I think we talked about

    this sometime in the past because I am familiar with it. If you are talking about the sensation in the skin area and not deep inside. It is called ,"Cutaneous femoral nerve syndrome." I had it 20 years ago. Mine was from wearing jogging shorts that had a liner. The elastic was a bit snug on my thigh and created the pressure affecting the nerve. A physiatrist I worked with knew what it was and told me. Perhaps having a tourniquet or compression stockings during surgery started this for you guys. It recovers with time. It is something like hitting your funny bone, but lasts much longer.

    Correct Name

    Fox, you got the name right. That's what I was told it was. At this point it's nothing more than a nuisance. I was concerned something more serious was going on. Every little twinge I feel makes me nervous now. I'll be glad when I get far enough from now that metastisis is not the first thing I suspect when something hurts. Anyway, I will be a disappointed if this thing lasts 28 years like it has for DSFrey. The doc told me that there was a very small chance it was permanent. Hoping that's not the case, but glad it's not some tumor pinching a nerve. 

    Allen

  • foxhd
    foxhd Member Posts: 3,181 Member
    avdoty said:

    Correct Name

    Fox, you got the name right. That's what I was told it was. At this point it's nothing more than a nuisance. I was concerned something more serious was going on. Every little twinge I feel makes me nervous now. I'll be glad when I get far enough from now that metastisis is not the first thing I suspect when something hurts. Anyway, I will be a disappointed if this thing lasts 28 years like it has for DSFrey. The doc told me that there was a very small chance it was permanent. Hoping that's not the case, but glad it's not some tumor pinching a nerve. 

    Allen

    Opps,

    I left out a word. It is "Superficial cutaneous femoral nerve syndrome." I hope you get better.

  • donna_lee
    donna_lee Member Posts: 1,041 Member
    foxhd said:

    Opps,

    I left out a word. It is "Superficial cutaneous femoral nerve syndrome." I hope you get better.

    AV

    Are you sure you just didn't pee down your leg.

    Sorry, It's Friday.

    Donna

  • safado
    safado Member Posts: 17
    donna_lee said:

    AV

    Are you sure you just didn't pee down your leg.

    Sorry, It's Friday.

    Donna

    I too had some post-op thigh

    I too had some post-op thigh numbness.  Fleeting.  Superficial.   On and off for about a week.

    Felt as if my thigh skin "fell asleep."

    Interesting.

    My affected thigh was opposite the radical nephrectomy side.