How I was cured of Stage 4 anal cancer--liver metastases

winnipeg
winnipeg Member Posts: 23

I was diagnosed with Stage 4 anal cancer in January 2008. I had an anal tumor, a second tumor in my rectum, and uncountable metastatic tumors in my liver, the largest of which was 5cm in diameter.

I was treated with Paclitaxel, Carboplatin, and Xeloda, every three weeks, until July of 2008. (No radiation.) This was chosen by my oncologist in San Diego based on a small study done by JD Hainsworth in Tennessee.

The results were rapid and dramatic, and in that time my anal tumor and liver tumors went away entirely.

Unfortunately, the lesion in my rectum did not. I went to City of Hope for radiation, and they refused to continue my chemo regimen. They put me on Nigro, with the usual 6 weeks of radiation. When they re-assessed me with a PET-CT, we saw that the rectal lesion had grown, and I opted for colostomy. From July 2008 to March 2009, Nigro was the only treatment I got, and it failed.

I regret that I did not continue my original chemo, but City of Hope was strongly against it and said there was no evidence it was safe to comibe with radiation. (This turned out to be untrue.)

I realize that what worked for me will not work in all cases. However the complete resolution of my liver tumors was worthy of publication as a case study, and since that hasn't happened, I am posting here so others will get a chance to research it with their doctors and possibly use it to the same effect.

(I am the same Winnie you might have read about in older threads. I'm posting today because it's been a few more years and my recent scan showed me to still be free of disease, 6 years after the original diagnosis.)

Comments

• z
    z Member Posts: 1,414 Member
    Winnipeg

Hello Winnie, So happy to hear from you and that you are showing ned.  I have not been on rca in a long time.  

I will celebrate 5 years clear from anal cancer on 6-30-14 and 4 years clear from lung cancer on 9-23-14.  

Its great for other stage IV with mets to the liver see that they too could be helped.

I wish you continued great news! Lori

• mp327
    mp327 Member Posts: 4,440 Member
    Winnie, Winnie, Winnie!

I am SO happy to see your post!  One, because I have been wondering about you and how you are doing--so glad to hear you are doing well and that the recent scan shows NED!  The second reason is because I am often asked if anyone I know is a survivor of stage 4 disease.  Of course, I always say yes because of you and a few others, but when they hear it directly from the survivor themselves, it's so much better! 

I am so glad that I had the presence of mind a few years ago to put in my file the chemo treatment you received, along with Dr. Hainsworth and Dr. Stanton's information.  I have passed all of this on to quite a few others, hoping that it can help them. 

I am SO glad you are doing well and I hope Emeline is too!  ;)  I have a date with the CT scanner on June 5th., so wish me the same good news that you got.  Congrats on hitting the 6 year mark!  I wish I was there to give you a big 'ol hug!  Oh, BTW, Gabby has posted on this site in the recent past as well.  I think she's 8 years NED!  Such good, good news!  E-mail me some time and we'll chat!  Hugs!

• Helen321
    Helen321 Member Posts: 1,460 Member
    Hi Winnie As one of my

Hi Winnie As one of my friends lets go this morning it's a bitter sweet feeling. We just don't get to hear enough success stories. I was stage III rectal and am NED as well for one year after APR surgery. A cheers to all of those who continue to thrive and pave the way for hope and a cheers to those who tried so hard. I did xeloda and radiation. I am desperately trying to beat my sugar addiction and be more disciplined with exercise. To life!

• Helen321
    Helen321 Member Posts: 1,460 Member
    mp327 said:

Winnie, Winnie, Winnie!

I am SO happy to see your post!  One, because I have been wondering about you and how you are doing--so glad to hear you are doing well and that the recent scan shows NED!  The second reason is because I am often asked if anyone I know is a survivor of stage 4 disease.  Of course, I always say yes because of you and a few others, but when they hear it directly from the survivor themselves, it's so much better! 

I am so glad that I had the presence of mind a few years ago to put in my file the chemo treatment you received, along with Dr. Hainsworth and Dr. Stanton's information.  I have passed all of this on to quite a few others, hoping that it can help them. 

I am SO glad you are doing well and I hope Emeline is too!  ;)  I have a date with the CT scanner on June 5th., so wish me the same good news that you got.  Congrats on hitting the 6 year mark!  I wish I was there to give you a big 'ol hug!  Oh, BTW, Gabby has posted on this site in the recent past as well.  I think she's 8 years NED!  Such good, good news!  E-mail me some time and we'll chat!  Hugs!

I wish this site had a like

I wish this site had a like button=}

• z
    For Tallorder

Here is the post

• Cazz
    Cazz Member Posts: 106
    Sorry

I don't get it.  Winnie said that the chemo got rid of everything except the rectal lesion and she then did the Nigro treatment, which failed, but she is now NED.  So what got rid of the rectal lesion, how did she get to NED?

It certainly is wonderful to hear success stories like hers - congratulations, Winnie! - it gives the rest of us who are still struggling, hope.

• tallorder5793
    tallorder5793 Member Posts: 67
    That is Good News

I once asked my doctor about Xeloda... she said Xeloda is very strong. I wonder about your experiences with it.  Avastin/Taxol did a lot for me... but then I went off Avastin and reduced taxol for radiation to anal canal and nodes. In that time, the cancer came back to liver and spread to lungs. Doctor is hoping to recapture some of the "magic" by putting me back on Avastin/Taxol--and carboplatin. I worry about chemoresistance.

I'm happy you continue to be free of disease. It would be great to see some other posters out there, as well!

• z
    Cazz said:

Sorry

I don't get it.  Winnie said that the chemo got rid of everything except the rectal lesion and she then did the Nigro treatment, which failed, but she is now NED.  So what got rid of the rectal lesion, how did she get to NED?

It certainly is wonderful to hear success stories like hers - congratulations, Winnie! - it gives the rest of us who are still struggling, hope.

cazz

Winnie had a colostomy to get rid of the rectal tumor

• mp327
    mp327 Member Posts: 4,440 Member

That is Good News

I once asked my doctor about Xeloda... she said Xeloda is very strong. I wonder about your experiences with it.  Avastin/Taxol did a lot for me... but then I went off Avastin and reduced taxol for radiation to anal canal and nodes. In that time, the cancer came back to liver and spread to lungs. Doctor is hoping to recapture some of the "magic" by putting me back on Avastin/Taxol--and carboplatin. I worry about chemoresistance.

I'm happy you continue to be free of disease. It would be great to see some other posters out there, as well!

Winnie

I want to post a comment on this thread to let everyone know that Winnie and I were in contact with each other on a frequent basis on another site a few years ago.  However, I haven't heard from her on that site, via e-mail or on FB for quite some time now.  Therefore, I am unsure of her current status.

Martha

• eihtak
    eihtak Member Posts: 1,473 Member

That is Good News

tallorder5793....

Hi,

I do not have personal experience with these drugs but know that they (Xeloda) are commonly used with success in the treatment of other cancers, especially involving mets. I am also on the breast cancer forum and have seen comments in regards to this course of treatment. You may want to just read through some posts on that and other sites to see some common experiences or side effects. You can go to the site and just type xeloda in the search box and then posts on that topic will be available.

Be well.............

katheryn

• tallorder5793
    eihtak said:

tallorder5793....

Hi,

I do not have personal experience with these drugs but know that they (Xeloda) are commonly used with success in the treatment of other cancers, especially involving mets. I am also on the breast cancer forum and have seen comments in regards to this course of treatment. You may want to just read through some posts on that and other sites to see some common experiences or side effects. You can go to the site and just type xeloda in the search box and then posts on that topic will be available.

Be well.............

katheryn

Thanks Katheryn

I will try to take a look. 

• tallorder5793
    mp327 said:

Winnie

I want to post a comment on this thread to let everyone know that Winnie and I were in contact with each other on a frequent basis on another site a few years ago.  However, I haven't heard from her on that site, via e-mail or on FB for quite some time now.  Therefore, I am unsure of her current status.

Martha

Winnie

Thank you, I think it's important you noted uncertainty of her current status. I hope she's still doing well. 

• z

Winnie

Thank you, I think it's important you noted uncertainty of her current status. I hope she's still doing well. 

Winnie

Winnies last post here was 5-26-14 just over a year ago.  Last on line 7-7-15 if you look at her profilie. 

Winnie are you out there will you post and let us know how you are.  Thank you, LoriLaughing