Update, reoccurance and surgery

kimberly sue 63
kimberly sue 63 Member Posts: 421 Member

I have an official reocurrance. Last week I had surgery. My new surgeon was unable to reduce my tumors optimally, but felt he was able to get a lot of tumor. He also stated, I was close to a bowel obstruction and thus had some bowel repair to do. I was hospitalized 8 days and got home yesterday. It is good to be home. I really never want to have surgery again.

It is hard to face a reoccurnce  for the first time. I think mentally even more taxing.Im trying to stay positive and I have a fabulous family who take wonderful care of me and significant extended friend and work support. I am truelyly blessed with wonderful people in my life.

Next week I get my staples out and discuss the next step. Kim

Comments

• Alexandra
    Alexandra Member Posts: 1,308
    Am I glad to hear from you Kim!

Sorry about the complications and so great that the hardest part is behind you and you're back home with your loved ones. Did you get IP port installed? Rest up, feel better and get ready to join the rest of us in the race towards NED.

Many-many hugs and healing thoughts,

Alexandra

• lovesanimals
    lovesanimals Member Posts: 1,366 Member
    Alexandra said:

Sorry about the complications and so great that the hardest part is behind you and you're back home with your loved ones. Did you get IP port installed? Rest up, feel better and get ready to join the rest of us in the race towards NED.

Alexandra

Hi Kim

Glad to hear that you're back home again.  You know the drill:  get lots of rest, don't overdo it, and let your family and friends pamper you!  Sending lots of positive thoughts and healing energy your way as you prepare for the next step. 

Warm hugs,

Kelly

• kimberly sue 63
    Alexandra said:

Alexandra

No IP port. Since they were

No IP port. Since they were unable to reduce the tumors to 1 cm or less, IP therapy is not indicated.. So we will see what chemo recipe my docs will deciede on next week. Kim

• wholfmeister
    wholfmeister Member Posts: 315

No IP port. Since they were

No IP port. Since they were unable to reduce the tumors to 1 cm or less, IP therapy is not indicated.. So we will see what chemo recipe my docs will deciede on next week. Kim

Been thinking about you!

So glad you are home!

Remember, this is about the lowest you're going to feel...weak and sore from such a big surgery and long hospital stay, overwhelmed mentally and emotionally.  Just take it one day at a time.  Step by step.  

• scatsm
    scatsm Member Posts: 296 Member
    Glad you're home, Kim

I hear ya sister about the mental side of facing a recurrence...For me it was almost worse than the original diagnosis (once I realized i wasn't going to die in a week). After first line treatment there is at least the hope of never recurring again. That wish is now gone and the reality of the disease is hard to integrate, but it will happen. Somehow over time it all gets back into perspective and the will to survive takes over. I wish your surgery had gone better, but it sounds like you got a head start on reducing the tumors. Take it very easy while you recover and let that great family of yours take over. Remember it can take up to 6 months to fully recover from abdominal surgery.

And then there's the chemo part. Thank god there are lots of options. I'm on carbo/gemzar/avastin and have made it through 2 cycles...first cycle had an allergic reaction to gemzar and ended up in the hospital for 4 days, second cycle ended up with pneumonia, low red and white blood cell counts and shortness of breath. Feeling better today and getting mentally prepared for chemo next week. I may feel like ****, but my ca125 was down to 12. It's a wild ride and we teal sisters have to hold on tightly! 

There are better times ahead! Rest, read, watch tv, visit with friends and come here often to update us. If you feel crappy, let us know. When things get better, let us know too!

xoxoSusan

• kimberly sue 63
    scatsm said:

Glad you're home, Kim

I hear ya sister about the mental side of facing a recurrence...For me it was almost worse than the original diagnosis (once I realized i wasn't going to die in a week). After first line treatment there is at least the hope of never recurring again. That wish is now gone and the reality of the disease is hard to integrate, but it will happen. Somehow over time it all gets back into perspective and the will to survive takes over. I wish your surgery had gone better, but it sounds like you got a head start on reducing the tumors. Take it very easy while you recover and let that great family of yours take over. Remember it can take up to 6 months to fully recover from abdominal surgery.

And then there's the chemo part. Thank god there are lots of options. I'm on carbo/gemzar/avastin and have made it through 2 cycles...first cycle had an allergic reaction to gemzar and ended up in the hospital for 4 days, second cycle ended up with pneumonia, low red and white blood cell counts and shortness of breath. Feeling better today and getting mentally prepared for chemo next week. I may feel like ****, but my ca125 was down to 12. It's a wild ride and we teal sisters have to hold on tightly! 

There are better times ahead! Rest, read, watch tv, visit with friends and come here often to update us. If you feel crappy, let us know. When things get better, let us know too!

xoxoSusan

Thanks Susan

Thanks Susan