Is a CT scan better than an ultrasound?

kassyrn
kassyrn Member Posts: 7

I posted my symptoms yesterday (see: new here, please help)  I had a doctor appointment today and initially he said he was going to order an ultrasound but by the end of the exam he changed his mind and ordered an abdominal/pelvic CT scan with and without contrast.  Is this better than an ultrasound at detecting a problem if a problem exists?

Comments

• Alexandra
    Alexandra Member Posts: 1,308
    Kassyrn

From my conversations with doctors abdominal / pelvic CT scan is a better diagnostic tool than abdominal / pelvic or transvaginal ultrasound, however it delivers 14 mSv radiation. If you're drinking CT contrast and getting injection already why not ask to add thoracic (chest) CT scan (another 7mSv radiation dose) and look at the lungs at the same time? Plus since you are complaining of back pain, I would also ask for a nuclear bone scan (6.3 mSv radiation). Radiation somewhat increases your cancer risk, but diagnostic benefits outway the risk.

If after hysterectomy you still have cervix, don't forget regular pap smear to exclude cervical cancer. CA125 blood test is not a good marker for everyone sometimes creating false positives, but it works for the majority of women.

Your X-ray Risk Report

Study

# of exams

Dose (mSv)

Additional Cancer Risk(%)

Bone Scan

Female

0.042584%

Chest, Abdomen and Pelvis CT

Female

0.141945%

Totals:

0.184529%

Good luck to you.

• poopergirl14052
    poopergirl14052 Member Posts: 1,183 Member
    Alexandra said:

Kassyrn

From my conversations with doctors abdominal / pelvic CT scan is a better diagnostic tool than abdominal / pelvic or transvaginal ultrasound, however it delivers 14 mSv radiation. If you're drinking CT contrast and getting injection already why not ask to add thoracic (chest) CT scan (another 7mSv radiation dose) and look at the lungs at the same time? Plus since you are complaining of back pain, I would also ask for a nuclear bone scan (6.3 mSv radiation). Radiation somewhat increases your cancer risk, but diagnostic benefits outway the risk.

If after hysterectomy you still have cervix, don't forget regular pap smear to exclude cervical cancer. CA125 blood test is not a good marker for everyone sometimes creating false positives, but it works for the majority of women.

Your X-ray Risk Report

Study

# of exams

Dose (mSv)

Additional Cancer Risk(%)

Bone Scan

Female

0.042584%

Chest, Abdomen and Pelvis CT

Female

0.141945%

Totals:

0.184529%

Good luck to you.

Ct is the best...

with contrast. I am glad he ordered it..when will you have it? I am stage three...I don't have a cervix...my Dr. said she builds some kind of pelvic bridge...I am empty as can be. Hope your scan goes well....Val 

• lovesanimals
    lovesanimals Member Posts: 1,366 Member

Ct is the best...

with contrast. I am glad he ordered it..when will you have it? I am stage three...I don't have a cervix...my Dr. said she builds some kind of pelvic bridge...I am empty as can be. Hope your scan goes well....Val 

Hi Kassyrn

Good-luck with the CT scan!  I am hoping and praying that you do not become a member of our "club".  Please keep us posted!

Hugs,

Kelly

• kassyrn
    kassyrn Member Posts: 7

Ct is the best...

Ct scan tomorrow

My ct scan is tomorrow morning. I don't have a cervix either, they took that when they took my uterus 4 years ago. I'm optimistic because i'm only 35 so the odds are in my favor that my symptoms are being caused by something else. Hopefully it's nothing serious so I can enjoy this weightloss!  I'm down 3 more pounds in the last 2 days. 

• Susan P
    Susan P Member Posts: 103

Hi Kassyrn

Good-luck with the CT scan!  I am hoping and praying that you do not become a member of our "club".  Please keep us posted!

Hugs,

Kelly

CAt vs ultrasound

Hi Kassy

My doc GP did ultrasound first interestiunly when the tech pushed down on my Lt cancerous ovary - it hurt enough to be quite uncomfortable. -0 alkl that tolds him was there was something fisht going on in there.  he then sent me for a contrast CT & to a super take-charge gyne my belly was super swollen with acites shafter she told us it was ovarian cancer she looked at my belly  & said ashe woulsd have thedfluid dtained by the end of the week - paracentesis & to the  cancer center  by the end of the week - both of which she did  my first drain was 8 liters & she immediately se nt a sample to pathology & yjey verified cancer cells.

Good news about the uterus removal  mine had been removed , too & my gyne onc said that was in my favor

Keep us informed  the qworst is not knowing  noit being able to fight th beast.

Take care & best wishes  I lost 35-40lbs & my tumor was about fist size 4 x5-6 inches

Susan P from Alberta Canada  & TX & WY