Freaking out!

Options
Suemarie
Suemarie Member Posts: 25

Hi there,

Wow - I'm pretty scared right now.

Four years ago my husband had some benign polyps in his colon. He was told to come back in 3 years for a follow-up. He had to wait 4 years because he had stents put in and was not allowed to come off the blood-thinner for one year. So he had his follow-up colonoscopy last Thursday. They called me in and the Doctor said that he needed to get  CT scan immediately and see a surgeon because whether the tumor is benign or not, it has to come out and he can't do it. He also mentioned something about chemo  or radiation and that he was putting a rush on the biopsies. We had no chance to discuss anything because he had a line-up of patients waiting for him. As the nurse walked me down the hall, I said "It's cancer, right?" And she said "Yes. The tests are to confirm whether it spread or not and that they see enough of it to be able to tell that it's cancer." I was shocked that she was so blunt since they don't have biopsy results yet. Anyhow, he has a CT scan next week and 2 days after that he sees the surgeon - they moved soooooooo quickly.

I'm just sooooo scared for my husband. Absolutely terrified. My husband doesn't know that the nurse told me it is cancer. Is it a possibility that she's wrong? I asked the woman who called to tell him his appts. and she said they won't know until the tests are done.

Any words of advice?

Sue

Comments

• LindaK.
    LindaK. Member Posts: 506 Member
    Options
    Take a deep breath...

Sue, please take a deep breath and try not to worry too much.  I would assume since the doctor and nurse both mentioned cancer, they are probably pretty familiar with what it looks like.  Even if it is cancer, once it is removed, it may be all he needs to have done.  Take one step at a time.  Do not google colon cancer, information online is old and misleading.  You will also need to start seeing an oncologist if the biopsies are positive.  Get a good one, ask around for people's suggestions.  That will make all the difference, someone you feel comfortable with right away will be your best choice.  The surgeon will most likely have a quick plan after they see the scan results.  This will help ease your mind if they can cut out the tumor or mass.  Once they get in there, they can also see what is going on better.  Stay positive, talk to your husband, mention cancer because I'm sure he is thinking about it too.  Prepare yourself as best you can for both good and bad news.  Colon cancer is treatable and curable in some cases.

Best of luck

Linda

• lp1964
    lp1964 Member Posts: 1,239 Member
    Options
    Even though it's...

...hard to do, don't freak out until you have the specifics. It will get a lot easier once you know what it is and you have a plan to follow. If you are uncomfortable with the doctor or what they are suggesting, don't hasitate to get a second opinion which is a good idea anyway. Trusting your doctors and believing in the treatment is half of the success. Dozens of people on this forum went through this, so don't hesitate to let us know the details and ask questions. It would also be a good idea to bring your husband on this forum, because he would not feel so alone with his problem.

Wish you the best outcome.

Laz

• Lisa2012
    Lisa2012 Member Posts: 142
    Options
    Whirlwind

Sue, 

I am sorry for your husband's results and the fact that you feel like everything is happening so fast.  We, those on this board, have been there, we know what you are going through.  Do not be afraid to talk to your husband, you both need each other now more than ever.   Stay positive, the colon cancer journey is a tough one, but it is manageable...the technologies today are amazing, even if the cancer is advanced.   

Please keep us posted, please talk to your husband.   Tell him you are scared, he probably is too, but once you both acknowledge it, you can move forward together.

take care,

Lisa

• Suemarie
    Options
    Thanks

Thanks for all your kind, kind advice.

For the past 10 years my husband has had a host of health problems - open-heart surgery, seizures, arrhythmia issues, stents and also prostate cancer. His prostate cancer was found early and he had the surgery and that was it - no further treatment. We just received news that his heart is  good at the moment after a battery of tests. But it's been a rough 10 years - in and out of hospitals etc. When he went for his colonoscopy last week, I never expected this as he had one 4 years ago. The most I expected was maybe a few polyps that needed to be tested so this came as a huge, huge shock - and to have them move so quickly, too. My husband doesn't know the nurse told me it was cancer but he does know it's a tumor and has to come out and that they did biopsies because the doctor told him that.

Thanks so much. I just felt so scared and worn out. I was hoping for a peaceful summer for last year was filled with stent surgery. His body rejected the first set of stents and he had to have them re-done. I didn't expect any cancer after just 4 years since his last colonoscopy.

Guess this is another journey we'll be traveling together.

Thank you.

Sue

• Lisa2012
    Lisa2012 Member Posts: 142
    Options
    Suemarie said:

Thanks

Thanks for all your kind, kind advice.

For the past 10 years my husband has had a host of health problems - open-heart surgery, seizures, arrhythmia issues, stents and also prostate cancer. His prostate cancer was found early and he had the surgery and that was it - no further treatment. We just received news that his heart is  good at the moment after a battery of tests. But it's been a rough 10 years - in and out of hospitals etc. When he went for his colonoscopy last week, I never expected this as he had one 4 years ago. The most I expected was maybe a few polyps that needed to be tested so this came as a huge, huge shock - and to have them move so quickly, too. My husband doesn't know the nurse told me it was cancer but he does know it's a tumor and has to come out and that they did biopsies because the doctor told him that.

Thanks so much. I just felt so scared and worn out. I was hoping for a peaceful summer for last year was filled with stent surgery. His body rejected the first set of stents and he had to have them re-done. I didn't expect any cancer after just 4 years since his last colonoscopy.

Guess this is another journey we'll be traveling together.

Thank you.

Sue

Wow

You have had a rough go of it.  I have not been in the caregiver position, except for normal Mommie duties,  but I see what my husband does and I know caregiving is tough.  You deserve a medal for the last ten years.    On the bright side, it has been ten years!  Hang in there, enjoy each day as it comes and don't worry about tomorrow.

lisa

• CammieS
    CammieS Member Posts: 43
    Options
    Deep Breaths...

We've been through a whirlwind in my house. It's hard to believe it hasn't even been two weeks since my husband's colonoscopy. Doctors, tests, more tests, more doctors. He has a plan now and we're hopeful. He's been pushed through everything quickly -- lots of appointments and everything feels rushed. It's better than waiting and not knowing, though. And his health feels like a priority for all of his doctors -- it doesn't feel like he's just another patient.

• Suemarie
    Options
    Thanks

Wow - I'm definitely not in this alone. Sounds like everyone has been through a lot, too. Hey Cammie - so this is just new too, for your husband? My husband just found out not even a week ago and the speed they're moving is blowing me away. We should know all the results a week from this Friday.

Yeah, we've been through a lot. His heart issues have been ongoing and really scary - he even tested positive at one point for a life-threatening arrhythmia but they think the stents have corrected it. My husband is strong and stoic and not a worrier but I feel so bad that his whole life is one medical appt. after another. I really didn't expect much to happen since it's only been 4 years since his last colonoscopy so the shock of this just blew me away as we'd just finished all his heart tests and the results were good. It would have been nice to have a little break.

Thanks everyone. You're so kind. I'm the one - more than my husband  -  who is having a tough time and my stomach has been queazy for a whole week - ever since we found out. But I am strong and I'll be by his side every minute. Thanks.

• Trubrit
    Trubrit Member Posts: 5,796 Member
    Options
    Hi Sue, I'm Sue too

Well, you and you're husband sound like your on the road, the cancer journey. Don't worry, you've a ton of folks here to travel with you and help you all we can.

I'm thinking that nobody would have mentioned chemo had they not been thinking cancer. But the scans will straighten it all out. 

If I were you (and I'm not, so no problem if you don't agree), I'd start talking cancer to your husband. I bet he's twigged by now in any case. Get it out, say the work, and just start taking it one day one appointment one test at a time. 

Pretty soon you'll know exactly what is going on and the Doctors will have a plan. Make sure you are good with it, and then, once you get started, the stress, the freakiness of it all will subside (if you let it). 

Get yourself a good sturdy notebook, pen and take them with you everywhere you go. A question pops up in your head, write it down. Hubby has a twinge, write it down. Someone says 'Did you know.....' and you didn't, write it down. When you get set up with 'The Team', ask every question you have and write down the answers. Write down everything. 

I'm 18 months into my trip and I still write things down. My little black book comes out the minute the Oncolgist walks through the door, and he learned real quick, that he stays until I am satisfied that all of my questions answered. 

It sounds like you've been on the cancer journey before, so you probably have all the knows. 

This really is a wonderful forum. Lots of support, lots of comfort, lots of information. 

We're sorry for the reason that you are here, but we're glad that you are here. 

Visit often. 

• Suemarie
    Options
    Thanks

Thanks everyone for your understanding and compassion. You know, after 10 years of my husband's really serious and multiple health issues, you'd think I'd be used to this. But for some reason, I'm having a hard time with this. I've helped him face down prostate cancer, open heart surgery, stents, seizures etc but being called in after his colonoscopy and hearing words like 'tumor, radiation, ct scans etc' just blew me away. The doctor said that even if it's benign, it had to come out but the nurse told me it was cancer. I just chatted with my husband because I wasn't sure how much he understood for he had just come out of his anesthetic. But he does realize that it very well could be cancer. We just spent a stressful year of him having stents put in, then his body rejected the stents and they had to put in new ones. So to have to face colon cancer just blows me away. After all, his polyps were benign 4 years ago - it just seems shocking that 4 years later he has cancer. I have felt nauseous ever since I found out and it hasn't been even a week.

But I know I'm strong and we'll get through this and thanks everyone for sharing your stories. It helps a lot.

• abrub
    abrub Member Posts: 2,174 Member
    Options
    Suemarie said:

Thanks

Thanks everyone for your understanding and compassion. You know, after 10 years of my husband's really serious and multiple health issues, you'd think I'd be used to this. But for some reason, I'm having a hard time with this. I've helped him face down prostate cancer, open heart surgery, stents, seizures etc but being called in after his colonoscopy and hearing words like 'tumor, radiation, ct scans etc' just blew me away. The doctor said that even if it's benign, it had to come out but the nurse told me it was cancer. I just chatted with my husband because I wasn't sure how much he understood for he had just come out of his anesthetic. But he does realize that it very well could be cancer. We just spent a stressful year of him having stents put in, then his body rejected the stents and they had to put in new ones. So to have to face colon cancer just blows me away. After all, his polyps were benign 4 years ago - it just seems shocking that 4 years later he has cancer. I have felt nauseous ever since I found out and it hasn't been even a week.

But I know I'm strong and we'll get through this and thanks everyone for sharing your stories. It helps a lot.

And I have a family member

And I have a family member who had to have his large growth removed via resection - they couldn't get it during the colonoscopy. It was benign. He's been fine since.  So while you are prepared for the worst, hopefully it is benign.  You needn't assume that because surgery is needed, it must be cancer.

Cheering you on.

Alice (stage 4, dx'd 2007)

• tootsie1
    tootsie1 Member Posts: 5,044 Member
    Options
    Sorry

I have to say I'm not impressed with the treatment you received at the doctor's office. If it is indeed cancer, that's a big word for you to deal with. They should have given you all the time you needed to ask questions.

*Hugs*

Gail

• Suemarie
    Options
    tootsie1 said:

Sorry

I have to say I'm not impressed with the treatment you received at the doctor's office. If it is indeed cancer, that's a big word for you to deal with. They should have given you all the time you needed to ask questions.

*Hugs*

Gail

Hi there

Yeah, it was pretty crazy after the colonoscopy. They called me in and I only had a second to say 'hello' to my husband who had just woken up, when the doctor walked in and started showing us pictures all the while talking a mile a minute about how he needs a CT scan, MRI, and then needs to see a surgeon where they might determine that he needs radiation or chemo and that even if it's benign, it has to come out. The nurse piped up and said "It's in a good place for removal. That's where my mom had her cancer and she's fine now." Sheesh. I was speechless and then the doctor walked away and the nurse said "We have to take his blood so we'd like you to go back to the waiting room." It was while she walked me out, I turned to her - absolutely stunned - and said, "It's cancer, right?" And she said 'yes'. I was surprised she said this. Later that day when I called the doctor's secretary, she told me they were rushing the biopsies and that he would be seen quickly. I said again, "It's cancer, right?" And the secretary said "We won't know until we get the results of the biopsy." I said, "The nurse told me it was cancer" and the secretary said "She shouldn't have said that because we don't know." I was dumbfounded. 

So at least we know now that his CT SCAN is on May 28 and he meets with a surgeon on May 30. So basically in a week, we'll know everything.

My husband is doing okay - at least on the surface. He's had soooo many serious medical issues that he takes a lot of it in stride but to me, this was a complete shock because his polyps were benign 4 years ago. I figured they might have found more polyps but to find actual cancer just rocks me.

I truly do admire my husband - his strength and courage. He's just been through so much and after rejoicing that his heart was doing okay, his seizures were a thing of the past, his prostate cancer was caught early and removed and he didn't need any further treatment, we figured we had a calm spell for a change. So to hear that he now has colon cancer just blows me away. Hard to believe that it was a week ago today that I was driving him to his colonoscopy.

Thanks for listening.

Sue

• LindaK.
    LindaK. Member Posts: 506 Member
    Options
    Suemarie said:

Hi there

Yeah, it was pretty crazy after the colonoscopy. They called me in and I only had a second to say 'hello' to my husband who had just woken up, when the doctor walked in and started showing us pictures all the while talking a mile a minute about how he needs a CT scan, MRI, and then needs to see a surgeon where they might determine that he needs radiation or chemo and that even if it's benign, it has to come out. The nurse piped up and said "It's in a good place for removal. That's where my mom had her cancer and she's fine now." Sheesh. I was speechless and then the doctor walked away and the nurse said "We have to take his blood so we'd like you to go back to the waiting room." It was while she walked me out, I turned to her - absolutely stunned - and said, "It's cancer, right?" And she said 'yes'. I was surprised she said this. Later that day when I called the doctor's secretary, she told me they were rushing the biopsies and that he would be seen quickly. I said again, "It's cancer, right?" And the secretary said "We won't know until we get the results of the biopsy." I said, "The nurse told me it was cancer" and the secretary said "She shouldn't have said that because we don't know." I was dumbfounded. 

So at least we know now that his CT SCAN is on May 28 and he meets with a surgeon on May 30. So basically in a week, we'll know everything.

My husband is doing okay - at least on the surface. He's had soooo many serious medical issues that he takes a lot of it in stride but to me, this was a complete shock because his polyps were benign 4 years ago. I figured they might have found more polyps but to find actual cancer just rocks me.

I truly do admire my husband - his strength and courage. He's just been through so much and after rejoicing that his heart was doing okay, his seizures were a thing of the past, his prostate cancer was caught early and removed and he didn't need any further treatment, we figured we had a calm spell for a change. So to hear that he now has colon cancer just blows me away. Hard to believe that it was a week ago today that I was driving him to his colonoscopy.

Thanks for listening.

Sue

4 years

is a long time for anything to grow, especially if he had polyps removed 4 years ago.  My husband's tumors have been fast growing, within a few months so 4 years is really nothing.  My husband had a scan and colonoscopy in December 2013 and had a large tumor removed in January 2014, that's how fast his grew.  He had 5 colonoscopies over 10 years with multiple polyps removed, none showing any sign of cancer.  After his first hospitalization after waiting 12 hours in the ED, a doctor finally came in and said "There's a mass, it's probably cancer, you can go home now and wait 4 days for your colonoscopy (that was scheduled)"  Wham bam, so I know that feeling of being stopped dead in your tracks.  I think because they see so much colon cancer, these people probably know what they see and feel they can tell you certain things, BUT no one should have said it is def cancer until the biopsy results come back.  The good side of it is you can prepare for both good and bad news.  Hang in there...

Linda

• janderson1964
    janderson1964 Member Posts: 2,215 Member
    Options
    Your experience sounds very

Your experience sounds very similar to mine. My wife and I were told by the doctor when I was in recovery that they found a large mass that was almost blocking my colon and was most likely cancer but either way it would have to come out ASAP. They sent me to a surgeon and asked him his opinion and he said with all of his experience that there was nothing to make him think it wasn't cancer.

I do feel the nurse was a little out of line for telling you that it was cancer. That news has to come from a doctor and he can't say for sure until the biopsy is back no matter how likely it is.

You should be overwhelmed we all were. There is nothing that can prepare you for such news.

We are here to help.

• Suemarie
    Options
    LindaK. said:

4 years

is a long time for anything to grow, especially if he had polyps removed 4 years ago.  My husband's tumors have been fast growing, within a few months so 4 years is really nothing.  My husband had a scan and colonoscopy in December 2013 and had a large tumor removed in January 2014, that's how fast his grew.  He had 5 colonoscopies over 10 years with multiple polyps removed, none showing any sign of cancer.  After his first hospitalization after waiting 12 hours in the ED, a doctor finally came in and said "There's a mass, it's probably cancer, you can go home now and wait 4 days for your colonoscopy (that was scheduled)"  Wham bam, so I know that feeling of being stopped dead in your tracks.  I think because they see so much colon cancer, these people probably know what they see and feel they can tell you certain things, BUT no one should have said it is def cancer until the biopsy results come back.  The good side of it is you can prepare for both good and bad news.  Hang in there...

Linda

So Glad!

So glad I found this forum where all of us are going through similar things - both as caregivers or patients. I shared my concern with  my sister and sister in law and instead of being compassionate they kept saying 'you worry too much' and 'think positive'. To be honest, I felt really angry with them. Yes, I know they were trying to help but instead of just listening, they focused on what they thought were my shortcomings. First of all, if one of their loved ones was going through this, they'd worry too. I mean, who doesn't worry about your loved ones??????? But I also know when to draw the line because I know I need to be strong for my husband. And 'think positive' - SHEESH. Sure I know that my husband's tumor could be benign, but the nurse told me it was cancer so I'm also being realistic. I don't find I'm being negative - I'm just trying to be realistic. I guess what bothered me is that they just didn't want to hear about the fact that I was worried and scared and felt so bad for my husband. He's gone through so much, I hate to see have to go through one more thing. All I needed was them to listen - not give me lectures on how I worry too much and I'm not positive. They've never had any illness touch their families so I guess they can't bring themselves to listen or care. It just frustrated me. So I'll just keep my emotions to myself because I can't stand to hear someone say 'Oh don't worry'. Of course I'm going to worry - this is the man I love with all my heart. The man who has been through so much yet still stands strong and courageous. And hell - we only found out 7 days ago - not even enough time to adjust to it all. So if I want to worry and be scared at times - I figure it's my right. But I also know I'm strong and will get through this. Anyway, thanks for listening to my rant.

• zx10guy
    zx10guy Member Posts: 273 Member
    Options
    My situation was pretty

My situation was pretty similar.  When I was waking up in the recovery room, my GI doc came in and broke the bad news to us.  He said he found a mass and he thinks most likely it was cancer.  He said he took some biopsy samples to send out to make sure but he felt based on his experience it was cancer.  And in the end he was right.  When you are a specialist in this field whether you're a doctor or nurse, you know by looking.  As always there is a chance it is benign.

If the medical staff proceeded in a manner where they are assuming it is cancer, I feel that's the best thing for your husband.  My GI doctor set things in motion at lightening speed.  I had my colonoscopy on a Wednesday where they found the mass.  I was having a CT scan the next day, Thursday.  I had a CEA test done and met with my surgeon on Friday of the same week.  The surgeon then ordered a PET/CT for the following Monday because he needed to rule out two spots on my liver which showed up on the CT scan.  Nothing happened on Tuesday because it was Christmas.  Wednesday (a week later), I was meeting with a liver surgeon to go over the PET/CT scans.  Thursday (a week and a day after the colonoscopy), I was in the operating room getting the tumor taken out.  And Saturday afternoon, I was on my way home from the hospital.

While the speed at which all of this has happened to me was mind numbing, in hind sight, I am extremely grateful the team of doctors moved that quickly to get me treated especially during the Christmas/New Years holiday period.

I guess what I'm saying is the nurse telling you that she feels it is cancer might be a blessing as you can gear your conversations with the doctors you meet in the coming days accordingly.

I wish your husband and you the best on this awful journey.

• Suemarie
    Options
    zx10guy said:

My situation was pretty

My situation was pretty similar.  When I was waking up in the recovery room, my GI doc came in and broke the bad news to us.  He said he found a mass and he thinks most likely it was cancer.  He said he took some biopsy samples to send out to make sure but he felt based on his experience it was cancer.  And in the end he was right.  When you are a specialist in this field whether you're a doctor or nurse, you know by looking.  As always there is a chance it is benign.

If the medical staff proceeded in a manner where they are assuming it is cancer, I feel that's the best thing for your husband.  My GI doctor set things in motion at lightening speed.  I had my colonoscopy on a Wednesday where they found the mass.  I was having a CT scan the next day, Thursday.  I had a CEA test done and met with my surgeon on Friday of the same week.  The surgeon then ordered a PET/CT for the following Monday because he needed to rule out two spots on my liver which showed up on the CT scan.  Nothing happened on Tuesday because it was Christmas.  Wednesday (a week later), I was meeting with a liver surgeon to go over the PET/CT scans.  Thursday (a week and a day after the colonoscopy), I was in the operating room getting the tumor taken out.  And Saturday afternoon, I was on my way home from the hospital.

While the speed at which all of this has happened to me was mind numbing, in hind sight, I am extremely grateful the team of doctors moved that quickly to get me treated especially during the Christmas/New Years holiday period.

I guess what I'm saying is the nurse telling you that she feels it is cancer might be a blessing as you can gear your conversations with the doctors you meet in the coming days accordingly.

I wish your husband and you the best on this awful journey.

Yeah!

Yeah, I'm kind of glad the nurse did tell me. It helps me get myself used to the idea and together before we see the surgeon next week. He has a CT scan next Wed and a meeting with the surgeon on that Friday. I didn't tell my husband that the nurse told me it was cancer but he was present when the doctor told him about the tests and surgery and that 'even if it's benign it has to come out and he can't take it out.' My husband is well aware that it might be cancer. This way I can help him through it by knowing.

I just wish friends and family would stop telling me 'not to worry' and 'to be positive because the nurse might be wrong' and to 'stop researching stuff on the internet.' This infuriates me because if I wasn't worried - that'd be totally bizarre. I mean, who doesn't worry when a loved one might have cancer. And of course I know that nurse might be wrong but I also know she said it was cancer, so I'm being realistic - not negative. And researching on the internet rocks!!!! Four years ago my husband had early stage prostate cancer and his surgeon scheduled him immediately to have surgery. My research discovered that they can do it through laparoscopy and the surgeon never offered him this because he can't do it. So I asked and he said "Sure, laparascopy is the same thing." So he referred us to another surgeon for the procedure and my husband was out in 2 days and on the treadmill on day 3 not needing any pain killers. So researching is amazing stuff. I just feel frustrated that I can't be open with my own sister without her going on and on about not worrying etc. Sheesh!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

But I'm feeling a bit better - it's been a week and I'm coming out of my shocked state a bit and my stomach is less queasy today. I just love my husband so much that I would gladly go through this for him.

• Trubrit
    Trubrit Member Posts: 5,796 Member
    Options
    Suemarie said:

Yeah!

Yeah, I'm kind of glad the nurse did tell me. It helps me get myself used to the idea and together before we see the surgeon next week. He has a CT scan next Wed and a meeting with the surgeon on that Friday. I didn't tell my husband that the nurse told me it was cancer but he was present when the doctor told him about the tests and surgery and that 'even if it's benign it has to come out and he can't take it out.' My husband is well aware that it might be cancer. This way I can help him through it by knowing.

I just wish friends and family would stop telling me 'not to worry' and 'to be positive because the nurse might be wrong' and to 'stop researching stuff on the internet.' This infuriates me because if I wasn't worried - that'd be totally bizarre. I mean, who doesn't worry when a loved one might have cancer. And of course I know that nurse might be wrong but I also know she said it was cancer, so I'm being realistic - not negative. And researching on the internet rocks!!!! Four years ago my husband had early stage prostate cancer and his surgeon scheduled him immediately to have surgery. My research discovered that they can do it through laparoscopy and the surgeon never offered him this because he can't do it. So I asked and he said "Sure, laparascopy is the same thing." So he referred us to another surgeon for the procedure and my husband was out in 2 days and on the treadmill on day 3 not needing any pain killers. So researching is amazing stuff. I just feel frustrated that I can't be open with my own sister without her going on and on about not worrying etc. Sheesh!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

But I'm feeling a bit better - it's been a week and I'm coming out of my shocked state a bit and my stomach is less queasy today. I just love my husband so much that I would gladly go through this for him.

You are wise

Its always good to research, as long as you check your dates. There is allot of information on the web about Colorectal cancer that is out of date. Even 10 years has made a difference. 

So, keep on with the research, and visit us often, cause we're all on the same road, either as patients or caregivers. 

I'm glad you are feeling better. It does get better. The initial shock wears off (and show me someone who doesn't go through that), and then you get on with fighting the beast. 

Blessings!

• Suemarie
    Options
    Trubrit said:

You are wise

Its always good to research, as long as you check your dates. There is allot of information on the web about Colorectal cancer that is out of date. Even 10 years has made a difference. 

So, keep on with the research, and visit us often, cause we're all on the same road, either as patients or caregivers. 

I'm glad you are feeling better. It does get better. The initial shock wears off (and show me someone who doesn't go through that), and then you get on with fighting the beast. 

Blessings!

Thanks!

Yes, I've learned over the years to put the current year in the title when I research. When my husband first got sick 10 years ago, I would research all his heart stuff and then discover a lot of it was outdated so I'm learning. Can't quite figure out how they do colon cancer surgery because I guess it depends on size of the tumor etc. I see they can do laparascopy, too. Hard to believe that it's just been one week and next Friday we'll have all the results from the CT scan when we meet with the surgeon. So right now I don't know too much - just that it's a tumor near his appendix.

But I am doing better and my husband is very strong. He's used to medical tests so they don't phase him at all and he's very stoic with a strong quiet strength. And I'll be there cheering him on every minute of the day.

Thanks for listening.