Should I switch to a GYN/ONC when medicare kicks in?

Options
mom2greatkids
mom2greatkids Member Posts: 528

Hi Ladies,

In August I will have medicare since I will have been on disability for two years.  I have had all my chemo administered by a medical oncologist due to my insurance.  The nearest GYN/ONC to me is 150 miles away.  I will have local access to four different GYN/ONC beginning August 1.

Should I switch doctors then?  I really do like my current doctor.  I have done well with him.  I do have clear cell (3c).  However, after ten months of stable disease on doxil, I failed on Topotecan.  Next month I will have scans to see if Gemzar is working. If not, he said he knows of only one more drug to try.  I've had carbo/taxol/avastin, cistplatin/taxol, doxil, topotecan and now Gemzar.  I can't remember the name of the last drug he mentioned, but I believe it's an oral one.

I would appreciate any feedback.  I'm not ready to give up. I'm only 51.  I have a lot more to live for.

Thanks Ladies,

Carla

Comments

• wholfmeister
    wholfmeister Member Posts: 315
    Options
    Who said anything about giving up?!

I think if I were in your situation, I would go to one of the gyro-onc, just for a consult and second opinion.  Research the four choices, and pick the one with the most experience.  (Or you could pick the best looking, haha!)  I'd get an appointment made soon, and start collecting all your records and send them to the office in advance.  You may be relieved to find out the recommendations for treatment would have been the same.  But maybe you'll find a new plan that will kill the Beast!  If I were you, I'd make an appointment!

• kimberly sue 63
    kimberly sue 63 Member Posts: 421 Member
    Options
    What about clinical trials? 

What about clinical trials?  Also get a second opinion. It is not time to give up especially if your are not ready and you sound strong and brave. Kim

• seatown
    seatown Member Posts: 261 Member
    Options
    2 docs are better than 1.

Do you really need to switch? Can't you have 2 docs? I do. An oncologist handles my chemo--which was my 1st line of treatment, since I had a hysterectomy/oophorectomy years before diagnosis. After my 1st round of chemo, I had exploratory surgery by a gynecological oncology surgeon whom I see every few months. Both guys are part of a large oncology practice & they're in constant touch with each other. Because I've been on chemo of 1 sort or another almost constantly since diagnosis, I see more of the oncologist.

• mom2greatkids
    mom2greatkids Member Posts: 528
    Options
    seatown said:

2 docs are better than 1.

Do you really need to switch? Can't you have 2 docs? I do. An oncologist handles my chemo--which was my 1st line of treatment, since I had a hysterectomy/oophorectomy years before diagnosis. After my 1st round of chemo, I had exploratory surgery by a gynecological oncology surgeon whom I see every few months. Both guys are part of a large oncology practice & they're in constant touch with each other. Because I've been on chemo of 1 sort or another almost constantly since diagnosis, I see more of the oncologist.

I see my doctor Tuesday and

I see my doctor Tuesday and plan to discusss this with him.  I am thinking this is a good option for me.  Seatown, what drugs have you had?  My dr. thinks we're almost out of options, yet I read about women who have 20 or more drugs they try.

Thanks,

Carla

• seatown
    seatown Member Posts: 261 Member
    Options

I see my doctor Tuesday and

I see my doctor Tuesday and plan to discusss this with him.  I am thinking this is a good option for me.  Seatown, what drugs have you had?  My dr. thinks we're almost out of options, yet I read about women who have 20 or more drugs they try.

Thanks,

Carla

My drug history

Carla, since you asked--

July-Dec 2012--Carboplatin + Taxol

Feb 2013--No visible cancer, but 3 of 6 biopsies came back positive after surgery

March-Dec 2013--Avastin, + Carbo & Taxol March-May 2013

Jan-March 2014--Arimidex

April-Dec 2014 (?)--Carboplatin only

For the 2 docs, I'm on Medicare + Tricare for Life. Together they've covered 100% of my treatment.

Should you want more details of my treatment, you can find it in my journal at www.CaringBridge.org/visit/CaroleSeaton

Good luck with your doc decision, Carla!