Ovarian Cancer and treatment?

I went to the ER yesterday and hoibble pain in my lower belly. (abdominal pain) I had the pain for a few days. ( I still have it) After blood work, urine test, ct scan and ultrasound I found out I have cyst on my right ovary. The ER doctor said it looks very complex and possibly cancerous. He gave me a name and a number to an OBGYN to call in the morning to set up an appointment. I am very nervous about doing future testing and the fact it may be cancer. Cancer runs deep in my family. My grandpa is battling prostate cancer, my mom is battling breast cancer, my grandma (who passed almost 4 years ago) had lung and breast cancer. It's been a battle it my family for years now.

I guess I am wondering if anyone can share their stories with me and answer some of the following? ( some questions may be a bit personal.. sorry)

1. What were the sypmtoms you had?

2. Did you go to the ER and that lead to other doctor appointments or did you go straight to your doctor?

3. If you had pain, how long did you have pain before being seen?

4. What test and procedures did you do before being offically diagonsed with ovarien cancer?

5. If you had surgery how long was recovery time and where did they cut you?

6. How was chemo for you?

7. How long did it take you to lose hair, if you lost it at all? (  my grandma never went blad just thinned out... my mom went bold after the second treament but started losing hair after her first)

8. How tender was the area for the port?

Any other info you can give would be great. Just trying to get an idea of what I might be getting ready to go through. We are a militarty family and too far from home to get help with my kids. They are 2 year old twins. Will I be able to take care of them while doing all the things I will need to do or do I need help? Not sure my husband can get time off.. sorry this is so long and I have so many questions. I have blog I just started on here. You can read it to keep up with my story.. again.. Thanks!

Comments

• poopergirl14052
    poopergirl14052 Member Posts: 1,183 Member
    Praying it is not cancer

so sorry you have to go through this...make sure you get a Gyn/Onc...they specialize in woman's Cancer. They will draw a Ca-125 test. A ct scan can be more accurate. Then possible surgery to remove ovary..if cancer you will get chemo..usually Carboplatin/Taxol together. I lost my hair in a few weeks . I have port in my right chest area and no problems so far. I had pelvic pain and stomach bloating,and fatgue. Each case is different. If found and treated early is the best place to be. Unfortunatly mine had spread..stage three. First diagnosed in 2009 ...had two short remissions...been on chemo since 2011 .best of luck to you..keep us posted...there are a lot of wonderful ladies here to advise and listen. Stay strong..Val ...ps for me recovery was six months cut under breast bone down to pelvic area....was on disability after surgery....retired a few years ago

• wholfmeister
    wholfmeister Member Posts: 315
    Slow down! Just Breathe!

April, I am so sorry you are going through all this anxiety.  It is very scary to think about cancer and dealing with your young children.  But you have to slow down your mind!  Don't race off into the dark places until you know what you are dealing with for sure.  All your questions are good questions...for later, when we have a diagnosis.  You need to not go into panic mode just yet!  You need all your wits to figure this out and move forward.

First step:  Gyno-oncologist!  That is your number one best weapon, no matter what.  You should be able to get a referral quickly. 

Every case is different, with different symptoms.  I had severe, but intermittent lower abdominal pain for about a month before going to see the family doctor.  He assumed and treated me for diverticulitis, without success, and finally ordered a CT scan which showed large masses throughout the pelvis.  I was referred immediately to a gyno-onc, who ordered lots of labs, a different type of CT, and a CT guided biopsy.  I had three rounds of chemo before debulking surgery. My hair began to come out about 20 days after chemo started.  Chemo hasn't been aweful:  there are many tips for dealing with the effects that we can share with you when and if that time comes.  Surgery is major; I was off work for 6 weeks.  I have been on chemo of different types since my diagnosis (stage 3c Ovarian with unrelated stage 1 uterine cancer) in March 2012.  There are days I don't feel great, and I am generally worn-out, but I continue to work full-time and take care of my house and hubby. (My daughter is grown, but I have responsibility for by 93 year old mom.)

That's my story, but you must not jump to conclusions.  Take this journey, whatever it is, one step at a time.  Be very, very cautious about researching on the internet...there is so much misinformation!  I pray to God you do not have cancer, but mostly I pray your spirit be calmed so you can do what you need to do to get a diagnosis, and then make a plan.  We are all here to support you.  Just breathe!

• aprilgearhart83
    aprilgearhart83 Member Posts: 9

Praying it is not cancer

so sorry you have to go through this...make sure you get a Gyn/Onc...they specialize in woman's Cancer. They will draw a Ca-125 test. A ct scan can be more accurate. Then possible surgery to remove ovary..if cancer you will get chemo..usually Carboplatin/Taxol together. I lost my hair in a few weeks . I have port in my right chest area and no problems so far. I had pelvic pain and stomach bloating,and fatgue. Each case is different. If found and treated early is the best place to be. Unfortunatly mine had spread..stage three. First diagnosed in 2009 ...had two short remissions...been on chemo since 2011 .best of luck to you..keep us posted...there are a lot of wonderful ladies here to advise and listen. Stay strong..Val ...ps for me recovery was six months cut under breast bone down to pelvic area....was on disability after surgery....retired a few years ago

thank you

Thanks for your response. My mind is racing so fast I can't keep up with myself.  I am hoping for the best but preparing the best I can for the worse. I never knew anything about ovarian cancer until the er doctor was telling me about it. I read its a "silent killer" cause most people don't find out they have it until later. I guess there really isn't a early detection for it.  I didn't know any signs or symptoms until I used google. I have been feeling extremely tired and a major lack of energy.  I blamed it on chasing these toddlers around. I also feel bloated but I figured that was from drinking more water and changing my eating habits cause I am trying to lose weight. However I haven't had any luck losing, instead it was the opposite and I have gained a few pounds. 

I hope things get better for you. After watching so many people in my family battle cancer I was hoping I wouldn't have to ever go through this but have always thought I would get breast cancer cause it runs in the family.  It goes beyond my mom and grandma. The doctor told my mom it was in her genes and that more than likely 1 if not all 3 of her kids would possibly get it. 

I am trying to slow down my mind and relax.  But I am hurting so bad and the pain meds they gave me don't really work. I have no family where I am and no friends. Family is 1000 miles away and I just haven't met people here yet. 

Good luck to you and I'll keep you up dated. 

• aprilgearhart83

Slow down! Just Breathe!

April, I am so sorry you are going through all this anxiety.  It is very scary to think about cancer and dealing with your young children.  But you have to slow down your mind!  Don't race off into the dark places until you know what you are dealing with for sure.  All your questions are good questions...for later, when we have a diagnosis.  You need to not go into panic mode just yet!  You need all your wits to figure this out and move forward.

First step:  Gyno-oncologist!  That is your number one best weapon, no matter what.  You should be able to get a referral quickly. 

Every case is different, with different symptoms.  I had severe, but intermittent lower abdominal pain for about a month before going to see the family doctor.  He assumed and treated me for diverticulitis, without success, and finally ordered a CT scan which showed large masses throughout the pelvis.  I was referred immediately to a gyno-onc, who ordered lots of labs, a different type of CT, and a CT guided biopsy.  I had three rounds of chemo before debulking surgery. My hair began to come out about 20 days after chemo started.  Chemo hasn't been aweful:  there are many tips for dealing with the effects that we can share with you when and if that time comes.  Surgery is major; I was off work for 6 weeks.  I have been on chemo of different types since my diagnosis (stage 3c Ovarian with unrelated stage 1 uterine cancer) in March 2012.  There are days I don't feel great, and I am generally worn-out, but I continue to work full-time and take care of my house and hubby. (My daughter is grown, but I have responsibility for by 93 year old mom.)

That's my story, but you must not jump to conclusions.  Take this journey, whatever it is, one step at a time.  Be very, very cautious about researching on the internet...there is so much misinformation!  I pray to God you do not have cancer, but mostly I pray your spirit be calmed so you can do what you need to do to get a diagnosis, and then make a plan.  We are all here to support you.  Just breathe!

Thank You

Hello there! I have been telling myself to slow down with no avail. My mind keeps racing through all the "what if's". I pray for the best and I prepare myself for the worse.  Cancer just runs so heavy in the family I fear that it's my turn in this battle. A turn I always prayed I wouldn't have to take. I have always had an issue with anxiety and now its through the roof. I think if the pain would ease up my mind probably would to. It hurts to walk, to sit, to cough or laugh!  I made an appointment with my regular doctor and she said she couldn't get me in until 5/20 at 11:10 and that will be to talk to me and get my referral.  I wish it was sooner but only because I would like to get things going and taken care of as quickly as possible.  I was supposed to start school next month.  I am hoping I can still start. Today I am not doing any googling.  Google has done enough damage lol today I am gonna relax as much as I can with two year old twins running around. I'm gonna try to slow down and take Thjs day by day.  I will do my best to keep everyone updated.  Thank you for your response and kind words.  

• Kaleena
    Kaleena Member Posts: 2,088 Member
    Thinking of You

HI April:

Sorry to hear that you are having pain and axiety, but as the others have said, there is no need at this point to "jump the gun" so to speak even before you have seen the gyn/onc.   As many of us and maybe even you may know, sometimes healthcare associates make statements without even gathering enough information.  Remember, the ER doc said complex and "possibly" cancer.  What you don't want to do is to make rash decisions because of your anxiety or being scared.  

Right now it probably feels that the world is crashing in on you.  But be strong.  Take it one step at a time.   Stand up straight, take a deep breath, and face your physician.  Don't be afraid to ask questions and don't be made to feel like what this one doctor says is gold.   If you have an uneasiness about this doctor, seek a second opinion too, if you need to.  You must be comfortable with your physician.

Besides the abdominal pain, how do you feel?  Do you feel there is more than the abdominal pain?  What I mean is when I was experiencing my pain, I felt that it was wrong, very wrong.   Even though the doctors told me it was just scarring, etc., I "felt" like it was something more.  There was something totally different about it that I never had before.

So April, take the first step only and see the gyn/onc first.   Take the necessary tests that you will be given and then see what the doc has to say.

My best to you.

Kathy

• aprilgearhart83
    Kaleena said:

Thinking of You

HI April:

Sorry to hear that you are having pain and axiety, but as the others have said, there is no need at this point to "jump the gun" so to speak even before you have seen the gyn/onc.   As many of us and maybe even you may know, sometimes healthcare associates make statements without even gathering enough information.  Remember, the ER doc said complex and "possibly" cancer.  What you don't want to do is to make rash decisions because of your anxiety or being scared.  

Right now it probably feels that the world is crashing in on you.  But be strong.  Take it one step at a time.   Stand up straight, take a deep breath, and face your physician.  Don't be afraid to ask questions and don't be made to feel like what this one doctor says is gold.   If you have an uneasiness about this doctor, seek a second opinion too, if you need to.  You must be comfortable with your physician.

Besides the abdominal pain, how do you feel?  Do you feel there is more than the abdominal pain?  What I mean is when I was experiencing my pain, I felt that it was wrong, very wrong.   Even though the doctors told me it was just scarring, etc., I "felt" like it was something more.  There was something totally different about it that I never had before.

So April, take the first step only and see the gyn/onc first.   Take the necessary tests that you will be given and then see what the doc has to say.

My best to you.

Kathy

Kaleena

It doesn't feel like a normal abdominal pain.  That's why I went to the ER. It feels like something more is going on. Even if it's not cancer.  with TRICARE insurance my first step will be to go see my regular doctor explain to her why I went to the ER and what they said and then have her put in a referral for me to see the next person that I need to see. I have only had her for a couple months but so far I feel comfortable with her.  I am doing my best to just relax today and not put to much thought into what it could be.  The worse part is the pain is constant and the pain pills they have me are not working.  But I am having in there.