My Wife diagnosed with Ovarian Cancer

Viks
Viks Member Posts: 10

Hello,

my Wife, 43 yrs of age has been diagnosed with Ovarian Cancer. Her CA-125 is 508 and there is neoplasticism lesion in the right ovary of 6.5x5.2x6.2 cms and a smaller lesion of 2.1x1.7cms in the left ovary. No free fluid is seen.

i have no idea what this all means but the gynac just said it does not look good and I need to see an oncologist immediately. we are based in India.

On searching the net just came across this group and was a bit relieved reading others experiences. Can someone suggest what should be done. How serious is this condition and what stage is she in?

Any advice from any of you is welcome as it's a big shock for me and I have not been able to even tell my wife about it, that she has been diagnosed with Ovarian Cancer.

Viks

Comments

• Alexandra
    Alexandra Member Posts: 1,308
    Welcome to CSN Viks

Sorry about your wife's diagnosis.

It will not be a quick fix. Your wife will have to undergo debulking surgery (removal of uterus, ovaries, fallopian tubes, possibly omentum and all visible cancer) and 6-8 rounds of Carboplatin / Taxol chemotherapy. Staging will be confirmed during the surgery depending where else the surgeon sees cancer and grade will be determined by pathology. You should definitely tell your wife or have the doctor tell her; you can't keep her in the dark. The best you can do for her at this point is to find an experienced gyno-oncologist and to be supportive and understanding. Most women reach remission after first-line treatment and some stay in remission for months and even years.

I was diagnosed with stage 3C ovarian cancer at the age 44, that was 2 years ago.

Virtual hugs and good luck,

Alexandra

• Viks
    Alexandra said:

Welcome to CSN Viks

Sorry about your wife's diagnosis.

It will not be a quick fix. Your wife will have to undergo debulking surgery (removal of uterus, ovaries, fallopian tubes, possibly omentum and all visible cancer) and 6-8 rounds of Carboplatin / Taxol chemotherapy. Staging will be confirmed during the surgery depending where else the surgeon sees cancer and grade will be determined by pathology. You should definitely tell your wife or have the doctor tell her; you can't keep her in the dark. The best you can do for her at this point is to find an experienced gyno-oncologist and to be supportive and understanding. Most women reach remission after first-line treatment and some stay in remission for months and even years.

I was diagnosed with stage 3C ovarian cancer at the age 44, that was 2 years ago.

Virtual hugs and good luck,

Alexandra

Thanx

Thanx a lot for your advice Alexandra. I was just going completely blank all this while. Your advice is really a great support mentally as I have not been able to talk or discuss this with anyone till now.

thanx again. Will  look for a gyno - oncologist  tomorrow itself. Will only an oncologist not be enough?

how is your cancer now? Are you completely fine now?

Viks

• Alexandra
    Viks said:

Thanx

Thanx a lot for your advice Alexandra. I was just going completely blank all this while. Your advice is really a great support mentally as I have not been able to talk or discuss this with anyone till now.

thanx again. Will  look for a gyno - oncologist  tomorrow itself. Will only an oncologist not be enough?

how is your cancer now? Are you completely fine now?

Viks

Viks

You need an oncologist specializing in female reproductive system - gynecological oncologist. The most important predictor of survival is optimal debulking, meaning that all visible cancer bigger than 1 cm in size has been removed. You need a surgeon who has performed hundreds of those surgeries, the more experienced the better. If you have to travel or pay to get to one, do it. Don't wait too long; ovarian cancer quickly metastasizes to peritoneum, omentum and bowel with much worse prognosis.

Depending on the size and spread of the tumours the oncologist might decide to start with 3-4 rounds of chemo, shrink cancer and then do surgery, followed by another 3-4 rounds of chemo to get rid of microscopic cancer cells.

My cancer went into remission after surgery and chemo, but came back after 9 months and I'm dealing with recurrence now. For details click on my picture. Don't let it scare you; everyone reacts differently.

• poopergirl14052
    poopergirl14052 Member Posts: 1,183 Member
    Alexandra said:

Viks

You need an oncologist specializing in female reproductive system - gynecological oncologist. The most important predictor of survival is optimal debulking, meaning that all visible cancer bigger than 1 cm in size has been removed. You need a surgeon who has performed hundreds of those surgeries, the more experienced the better. If you have to travel or pay to get to one, do it. Don't wait too long; ovarian cancer quickly metastasizes to peritoneum, omentum and bowel with much worse prognosis.

Depending on the size and spread of the tumours the oncologist might decide to start with 3-4 rounds of chemo, shrink cancer and then do surgery, followed by another 3-4 rounds of chemo to get rid of microscopic cancer cells.

My cancer went into remission after surgery and chemo, but came back after 9 months and I'm dealing with recurrence now. For details click on my picture. Don't let it scare you; everyone reacts differently.

So sorry

yes..she needs to find Gyn/Onc...he will do her surgery and have a plan fot chemotherapy..how did you find out she had ovarian cancer? Glad you found this site as we can advise you..but....don't believe everything you read on the net.....val

2014-05-18

• seatown
    seatown Member Posts: 261
    Find the right help

So sorry to hear about your wife's diagnosis. I agree, you must tell her about it as soon as possible. She deserves to know the truth about her own condition.

I also agree with the chorus that yes, you must seek treatment from a gynecological oncologist, someone who specializes. As Alexandra said, with the right treatment, many ovarian cancer patients go into remission.

I would also recommend the ovarian cancer patient guidelines of the National Comprehensive Cancer Network (leading cancer hospitals in the U.S.): 

http://www.nccn.org/patients/guidelines/ovarian/index.html

Reading these guidelines should help you & your wife understand treatment options.

Best wishes.

• Susan P
    Susan P Member Posts: 103
    seatown said:

Find the right help

So sorry to hear about your wife's diagnosis. I agree, you must tell her about it as soon as possible. She deserves to know the truth about her own condition.

I also agree with the chorus that yes, you must seek treatment from a gynecological oncologist, someone who specializes. As Alexandra said, with the right treatment, many ovarian cancer patients go into remission.

I would also recommend the ovarian cancer patient guidelines of the National Comprehensive Cancer Network (leading cancer hospitals in the U.S.): 

http://www.nccn.org/patients/guidelines/ovarian/index.html

Reading these guidelines should help you & your wife understand treatment options.

Best wishes.

wife diagnosed with ov ca

Hi Vik sorry to hear of the Ov Cancer diagnosis I know both my husband & I were shocked although I was pretty sure this  was my problem and was actually relieved to get the diagnosis -- so we could begin fighting the cancer and Yes - you need  an oncologist that specializes in women's cancers : Ovarian & the whole reproductive system & breast

I was late diagnosed CA 125 waS 4000 so it had time to spread a little  - not too badly luckily -- so my gyne oncologist chose to do chemo before the surgery to shrink the tumors to give the sugery a better outcome -- some situations call for one to recieve chemo first - with others the doc might choose  to do surgery first.

/I was diagnosed a year ago  & had my first treatment May  27/13 & last n Apr2/14 CA 125 =15 My surgery was  Oct/14

right now I am waiting for 1 more test a PET scan to prove I am cancer free - for now if I am , my doc t will see me 3-6 times a year to check my ca 125 and do CT scans if needed basically I was sick from chwemo off & on for the better part of a year,  treatment is tough but doable  she'll need lots of support from you - be that one person that understands

here lots & read  -- my opinion & for me is & was ttolearn as much about this as I can - even the scary parts -- I have to know the enemy fight it.

a word of caurtion -- be careful on the internet.  lots of bad info out there  try to get your info from trusted sites like this one & American cvancer society as well asCanadian cancer societ yhiopefully you can get into a good cancer treatment center with a good doctor& start treatment right away

You should be ok - many/ most of our good specialiasts are immigrants from India - very smart & well educated people

do keep us informed - it will be good for you  to keep busy.

Best wishes

Susan P from Alberta Canada

• lovesanimals
    lovesanimals Member Posts: 1,366 Member
    Susan P said:

Hi Vik sorry to hear of the Ov Cancer diagnosis I know both my husband & I were shocked although I was pretty sure this  was my problem and was actually relieved to get the diagnosis -- so we could begin fighting the cancer and Yes - you need  an oncologist that specializes in women's cancers : Ovarian & the whole reproductive system & breast

I was late diagnosed CA 125 waS 4000 so it had time to spread a little  - not too badly luckily -- so my gyne oncologist chose to do chemo before the surgery to shrink the tumors to give the sugery a better outcome -- some situations call for one to recieve chemo first - with others the doc might choose  to do surgery first.

/I was diagnosed a year ago  & had my first treatment May  27/13 & last n Apr2/14 CA 125 =15 My surgery was  Oct/14

right now I am waiting for 1 more test a PET scan to prove I am cancer free - for now if I am , my doc t will see me 3-6 times a year to check my ca 125 and do CT scans if needed basically I was sick from chwemo off & on for the better part of a year,  treatment is tough but doable  she'll need lots of support from you - be that one person that understands

here lots & read  -- my opinion & for me is & was ttolearn as much about this as I can - even the scary parts -- I have to know the enemy fight it.

a word of caurtion -- be careful on the internet.  lots of bad info out there  try to get your info from trusted sites like this one & American cvancer society as well asCanadian cancer societ yhiopefully you can get into a good cancer treatment center with a good doctor& start treatment right away

You should be ok - many/ most of our good specialiasts are immigrants from India - very smart & well educated people

Best wishes

Dear Viks

While a cancer diagnosis is very scary, you and your wife have every reason to be hopeful about the future.  With the ovarian cancer treatments that are available today (surgery by a gyncologic oncology surgeon and chemotherapy), many women with advanced stage cancer live long and fullfilling lives.  Be sure that you and/or a trusted family member or friend accompany your wife to her doctor appointments.  Your wife will probably be in shock still and a second set of ears is helpful to hearing and understanding the information provided by the doctor.  She and you should write down your questions ahead of time and someone other than your wife should write down the answers at the doctor appointment.

Sending lots of good wishes to you and your wife.  Please keep us posted when you can.  If or when your wife is up to it, she is welcome to come to this board herself.

Kelly

• mmfintx
    mmfintx Member Posts: 17
    And!  From what I've read

And!  From what I've read here, at the beginning of any appointment, say, "Please make copies for me of your information, I will take this with me at the end of this visit." You want lab reports, copies of radiology reports, what the plan is, etc.

Someone told me to do something like that....I will look and see if I can find the exact words I was told....And best to you. I think telling her the plan of action at the same time you tell her her news will be of Great benefit.  Will give her the next step to focus on too, as opposed to the pit of dispair you all want to stay away from.  You have some fantastic resources in the women who have responded to your inquiry. Keep in touch, nice to have back up isn't it!

• Viks
    Susan P said:

Best wishes

Decided on surgery

Hey there,

thanx for yur advices. It was just because of all of yur advices I knew what to do and whom to meet. Sorry for replying late. Was busy from that day searching for onco's and then getting all the test done all this while. It was a very hectic couple of days for us.

Ya, on yur advice, finally told my wife about the cancer. She has been quiet depressed since and not has been able to digest it still. It will take some time to come on this site.

i met one lady Gyno - Oncologist who is quiet good as a doctor and another oncologist surgeon who is a HOD of one of the very big hospitals here and is very experienced. So we are confused now to go with which Doctor for her surgery. My wife really liked the lady doctor as she made her understand everything very clearly and was very supportive but the other surgeon was very quick and just rushed thru our appointment and we did not like that much. According to our family doc the surgeon is better as he is more experienced but our heart is going with the lady gyno. Have to come out of this confusion soon as we need to decide on the surgery date soon.

Oh, forgot to tell you the diagnosis. We got the MRI, the PET scan and some blood tests done and after the PET now the docs have said that the malignancy has not spread to the upper regions other than the ovaries and uterus and some Lymph Nodes, which they would be removing in the surgery which they would be doing first.

After that they would send those cells for testing and then decide whether chemo is required or not. 

You all are the best thing that could happen to us. Thanx again for yur luv and support. 

Will keep posting updates here soon. 

Viks

• Viks
    Alexandra said:

Viks

Mantra

https://sites.google.com/site/sacramentotruebuddhatemple/TBS-Fundamental/cancer-curing-mantra

just go onto this site and try this Buddhist Mantra. If any of you can benefit from this it would be great.

luv

viks

• Alexandra
    Viks said:

Decided on surgery

Hey there,

thanx for yur advices. It was just because of all of yur advices I knew what to do and whom to meet. Sorry for replying late. Was busy from that day searching for onco's and then getting all the test done all this while. It was a very hectic couple of days for us.

Ya, on yur advice, finally told my wife about the cancer. She has been quiet depressed since and not has been able to digest it still. It will take some time to come on this site.

i met one lady Gyno - Oncologist who is quiet good as a doctor and another oncologist surgeon who is a HOD of one of the very big hospitals here and is very experienced. So we are confused now to go with which Doctor for her surgery. My wife really liked the lady doctor as she made her understand everything very clearly and was very supportive but the other surgeon was very quick and just rushed thru our appointment and we did not like that much. According to our family doc the surgeon is better as he is more experienced but our heart is going with the lady gyno. Have to come out of this confusion soon as we need to decide on the surgery date soon.

Oh, forgot to tell you the diagnosis. We got the MRI, the PET scan and some blood tests done and after the PET now the docs have said that the malignancy has not spread to the upper regions other than the ovaries and uterus and some Lymph Nodes, which they would be removing in the surgery which they would be doing first.

After that they would send those cells for testing and then decide whether chemo is required or not. 

You all are the best thing that could happen to us. Thanx again for yur luv and support. 

Will keep posting updates here soon. 

Viks

Viks

I can understand why you are leaning towards the nice lady doctor with good bedside manners, but for a surgeon I would pick the one with most experience and best references regardless of their gender. After surgery your wife can go back to the lady doctor for the follow up. From what you are saying about the MRI her cancer is probably in stage 3C and without question she will need 6-8 rounds of Taxol / Carboplatin chemo every 3 weeks, starting about 4 weeks after the surgery. I don't want to lie, chemo is unpleasant and causes short-term and long-term side effects but it is her best shot at survival.

Your wife is probably in a state of shock now. For many of us after diagnosis anti-anxiety drugs (Lorazepam/Ativan, Xanax or whatever equivalent you can get in India) helped a lot through this difficult time. Ask your family doctor to prescribe some to have it handy if she is having a panic attack.

Sending you both healing thoughts and thanks for the mantra.

Alexandra

• Viks
    Alexandra said:

Viks

I can understand why you are leaning towards the nice lady doctor with good bedside manners, but for a surgeon I would pick the one with most experience and best references regardless of their gender. After surgery your wife can go back to the lady doctor for the follow up. From what you are saying about the MRI her cancer is probably in stage 3C and without question she will need 6-8 rounds of Taxol / Carboplatin chemo every 3 weeks, starting about 4 weeks after the surgery. I don't want to lie, chemo is unpleasant and causes short-term and long-term side effects but it is her best shot at survival.

Your wife is probably in a state of shock now. For many of us after diagnosis anti-anxiety drugs (Lorazepam/Ativan, Xanax or whatever equivalent you can get in India) helped a lot through this difficult time. Ask your family doctor to prescribe some to have it handy if she is having a panic attack.

Alexandra

Took your advice

Thanx for the  advice Alexandra. I am going ahead with that Experienced Surgeon. According to reports received from his patients, he is pretty good and spoke to one of his patients who is a doc herself. He operated on her too.

But truly speaking it's been such a difficult decision to take on whom to entrust your life. The lady doc is still calling regularly to check if we are going to her.

My wife is taking it bravely at the moment and says must be her Karma which has brought her to this. It actually helps if you think this way rather than racking your brains as to why you.

The post surgery treatment as mentioned by you seems really tough. hoping we will be able to sail through.

hope you are trying on the mantra. Do give it a try with total belief.

viks

• lovesanimals
    lovesanimals Member Posts: 1,366 Member
    mmfintx said:

And!  From what I've read

And!  From what I've read here, at the beginning of any appointment, say, "Please make copies for me of your information, I will take this with me at the end of this visit." You want lab reports, copies of radiology reports, what the plan is, etc.

Someone told me to do something like that....I will look and see if I can find the exact words I was told....And best to you. I think telling her the plan of action at the same time you tell her her news will be of Great benefit.  Will give her the next step to focus on too, as opposed to the pit of dispair you all want to stay away from.  You have some fantastic resources in the women who have responded to your inquiry. Keep in touch, nice to have back up isn't it!

Dear Viks

Sending lots of positive thoughts and energy to you and your wife as she prepares for her upcoming surgery and possible chemotherapy.

Kelly

• Rosamond M
    Rosamond M Member Posts: 86 Member

Dear Viks

Sending lots of positive thoughts and energy to you and your wife as she prepares for her upcoming surgery and possible chemotherapy.

Kelly

Viks

Sending understanding thoughts your way.Your wife is not alone, we all know how

she must be feeling. I wish her all the best and will be thinking of you both.

• Viks
    Alexandra said:

Viks

Alexandra

Congrats

Congrats Alexandra. Good to hear that your CA125 has come down to normal levels.

my wife's surgery has been successfully done and the biopsy report too has come. Doc said its 3C as you said. 

The Chemo schedule given to her is weekly than every 3 weeks as you had said. They say it's more effective and she would require to do that for 18 weeks. It sounds really too much to me. My wife is already gone into a state of depression on knowing this.

i am thinking of getting a second opinion from some other medical oncologist.

it really seems like a long journey now.

thnx

viks

• Alexandra
    Viks said:

Congrats

Congrats Alexandra. Good to hear that your CA125 has come down to normal levels.

my wife's surgery has been successfully done and the biopsy report too has come. Doc said its 3C as you said. 

The Chemo schedule given to her is weekly than every 3 weeks as you had said. They say it's more effective and she would require to do that for 18 weeks. It sounds really too much to me. My wife is already gone into a state of depression on knowing this.

i am thinking of getting a second opinion from some other medical oncologist.

it really seems like a long journey now.

thnx

viks

Viks

I'm happy to know that surgery went well. You are half-way there. There are different opinions about dense-dose chemo, I didn't have it but it is probably just as effective as every 3 weeks. Since your wife is young, otherwise healthy, was staged 3C and surgery was successful (optimum debulking?) ask about possibility of intra-peritoneal (IP) chemo, statistically it is said to add over a year to overall survival compared to IV chemo.

Women tend to place more importance on the external side effects of chemo and menopause (hair, skin, weight gain, vaginal dryness, etc.). Keep telling your wife that she is beautiful and desirable to you no matter what. You're her rock, and she is lucky to have a supportive partner on this journey. 

Big hugs,

Alexandra

• Viks
    Alexandra said:

Viks

I'm happy to know that surgery went well. You are half-way there. There are different opinions about dense-dose chemo, I didn't have it but it is probably just as effective as every 3 weeks. Since your wife is young, otherwise healthy, was staged 3C and surgery was successful (optimum debulking?) ask about possibility of intra-peritoneal (IP) chemo, statistically it is said to add over a year to overall survival compared to IV chemo.

Women tend to place more importance on the external side effects of chemo and menopause (hair, skin, weight gain, vaginal dryness, etc.). Keep telling your wife that she is beautiful and desirable to you no matter what. You're her rock, and she is lucky to have a supportive partner on this journey. 

Big hugs,

Alexandra

Thanx

Thanx a lot Alexandra for your advice. Will definitely check this option with my Doctor. 

I love my wife beyond words and keep telling her that and good that you told me this, will definitely keep reassuring her of my luv and support for her what may come.

this group has really been the best support I could have asked foray this juncture and specially you. I have not been able to discuss this with any of my friends and relatives, other than the doctors. But here I always an open my heart out.

you ladies rock. Be always there for everyone who needs your support.

God Bless you all.

Viks

• Viks
    Alexandra said:

Viks

Big hugs,

Alexandra

Apricot

Has anyone of you tried the Apricot nut. They say it is very effective in eradicating Cancer???