FLOX Anyone?

Meowycat
Meowycat Member Posts: 66

Has anyone on this board been treated with FLOX.? Mom's colon cancer has advanced to the point of no return and her last two options are redoing Folfiri or FLOX.

Thanks and Huggies,

Nellie

Comments

• Trubrit
    Trubrit Member Posts: 5,796 Member
    FOLFOX

I did FOLFOX but I've never heard of FLOX.

There are so many different chemo cocktails, I'm sure someone here will know. 

I am sorry that your mum has reached this point. You are both in my thoughts and prayers. 

• carrieh
    carrieh Member Posts: 146 Member
    Trubrit said:

FOLFOX

I did FOLFOX but I've never heard of FLOX.

There are so many different chemo cocktails, I'm sure someone here will know. 

I am sorry that your mum has reached this point. You are both in my thoughts and prayers. 

Could it be FolFox? that is a

Could it be FolFox? that is a very common colon cancer treatment...I've never personally heard of Flox.

Carrie

• annalexandria
    annalexandria Member Posts: 2,571 Member
    I'm so sorry to hear this, Nellie.

I'm thinking it must be FOLFOX too.  I wonder if your mom would be eligible for a clinical trial?  There are some promising things in the works, and in most you have to have failed the 1st and 2nd line regimens, so she might be eligible.

• herdizziness
    herdizziness Member Posts: 3,624 Member
    FLOX

How FLOX chemotherapy is given and possible side effects.

FLOX for the treatment of Colon Cancer

FLOX is the acronym for a chemotherapy regimen used in the treatment of colon cancer.

Drugs in the FLOX combination:

F = Fluorouracil

L = Leucovorin

OX = Oxaliplatin

Chemotherapy is often given as a combination of drugs. Combinations usually work better than single drugs because different drugs kill cancer cells in different ways.

MOST COMMON SIDE EFFECTS OF FLOX

• Nausea & Vomiting

• Risk of Infection

• Diarrhea

• Mouth Sores

For more information, see the 'Expert Resources' tab below.

• annalexandria

FLOX

How FLOX chemotherapy is given and possible side effects.

FLOX for the treatment of Colon Cancer

FLOX is the acronym for a chemotherapy regimen used in the treatment of colon cancer.

Drugs in the FLOX combination:

F = Fluorouracil

L = Leucovorin

OX = Oxaliplatin

Chemotherapy is often given as a combination of drugs. Combinations usually work better than single drugs because different drugs kill cancer cells in different ways.

MOST COMMON SIDE EFFECTS OF FLOX

• Nausea & Vomiting

• Risk of Infection

• Diarrhea

• Mouth Sores

For more information, see the 'Expert Resources' tab below.

Fluorouracil

is the same as 5-fu, I believe, so that would also be FOLFOX.  Just never heard of it called FLOX, but one acronym makes as much sense as the other, really.

• tanstaafl
    tanstaafl Member Posts: 1,313 Member
    dose/schedule

flox and folfox(es) are different schedules or dosages of the active ingredients, 5FU, leucovorin and oxaliplatin. Examples snipped from papers:

FLOX 

oxaliplatin 85 mg/m2 on day 1, 

bolus 5-FU 500 mg/m2 and FA 60 mg/m2 on day 1 and 2,.... repeated every second week.

FOLFOX4  consisted of...

14-day cycles of oxaliplatin 85mg/m(2), 

folinic acid 200 mg/m(2) (DL form) or 100 mg/m(2) (L form) on days 1-2 plus bolus, and fluorouracil 400 mg/m(2) (bolus) and 600 mg/m(2) (continuous 22 h infusion

FOLFOX6.... included 

oxaliplatin 100 mg/m2 and folinic acid 400 mg/m2 on day 1 followed by a 

5-FU bolus 400 mg/m2 and a 

46-hour infusion of 3000 mg/m2 every 2 weeks

• annalexandria
    tanstaafl said:

dose/schedule

flox and folfox(es) are different schedules or dosages of the active ingredients, 5FU, leucovorin and oxaliplatin. Examples snipped from papers:

FLOX 

oxaliplatin 85 mg/m2 on day 1, 

bolus 5-FU 500 mg/m2 and FA 60 mg/m2 on day 1 and 2,.... repeated every second week.

FOLFOX4  consisted of...

14-day cycles of oxaliplatin 85mg/m(2), 

folinic acid 200 mg/m(2) (DL form) or 100 mg/m(2) (L form) on days 1-2 plus bolus, and fluorouracil 400 mg/m(2) (bolus) and 600 mg/m(2) (continuous 22 h infusion

FOLFOX6.... included 

oxaliplatin 100 mg/m2 and folinic acid 400 mg/m2 on day 1 followed by a 

5-FU bolus 400 mg/m2 and a 

46-hour infusion of 3000 mg/m2 every 2 weeks

Interesting...

thanks for the clarification!

• Meowycat
    Meowycat Member Posts: 66
    I love you all!

WoW! Thanks for the love, research and clarifications eveyone. Mom had the first session of Flox yesterday ( onc also added Avastin) so we will see what happens. The wrench in all of this is that she is also on 31 days of IV and oral antibiotics for her jaw infection. Hope she does not crash.

Even funnier is that Dad and I are administering her IV Vanco. Imagine two muppets in charge of flushing your lines!

Thanks for picking me up and getting me back on my feet with all your support. Was feeling tired and down but much better now.

Huggies,

Nellie

• LindaK.
    LindaK. Member Posts: 506 Member
    Meowycat said:

I love you all!

WoW! Thanks for the love, research and clarifications eveyone. Mom had the first session of Flox yesterday ( onc also added Avastin) so we will see what happens. The wrench in all of this is that she is also on 31 days of IV and oral antibiotics for her jaw infection. Hope she does not crash.

Even funnier is that Dad and I are administering her IV Vanco. Imagine two muppets in charge of flushing your lines!

Thanks for picking me up and getting me back on my feet with all your support. Was feeling tired and down but much better now.

Huggies,

Nellie

Watch out for c-diff

Just reading about the antibiotics raised a red flag.  Have your mom watch out for diarrhea that has a very distinct odor and consistency, which may be c-diff.  You can get it from antibiotics or catch it while your immune system is low (4-7 days after chemo).  IV Vanco can both cause and treat C-diff.  It's nothing to mess around with.  She should call the onc at first diarrhea if she gets it.  If you take immodium while having c-diff, it can cause a very serious situation with your bowels.

Good luck to your mom

Linda

• Trubrit
    Trubrit Member Posts: 5,796 Member
    Meowycat said:

I love you all!

Huggies,

Nellie

The Muppets

Oh, I doubt you are Muppets. With the kind of love you obviously (just reading your concern here is evidence) have for your mother, I just know that you and your Dad are taking the utmost care of her.  

Still, it must be a bit scary. 

Here's praying that her jaw infection will clear and all she has to worry about is fighting the beast. 

• annalexandria
    LindaK. said:

Watch out for c-diff

Just reading about the antibiotics raised a red flag.  Have your mom watch out for diarrhea that has a very distinct odor and consistency, which may be c-diff.  You can get it from antibiotics or catch it while your immune system is low (4-7 days after chemo).  IV Vanco can both cause and treat C-diff.  It's nothing to mess around with.  She should call the onc at first diarrhea if she gets it.  If you take immodium while having c-diff, it can cause a very serious situation with your bowels.

Good luck to your mom

Linda

I would add in some probiotics

if it was me.  You can find the refrigerated sort at Whole Foods, or at health food/supplement stores.  Getting the gut bacteria out of whack can lead to a whole host of other problems.