Esophageal Stretch

Options
ptom
ptom Member Posts: 41 Member

Has anyone needed an esophagel stretch almost two years after the last one?  My neck feels tight like someone has their hands around me, not strangling, just lightly squeezing.  I have no problem swallowing (choking on the other hand...the curse of chocolate!)  I was first introduced to "NED" in Oct. 2011 and as of Dec. 2013 "Ned" is still hanging around so I know that is not the current problem.  Still have all my "parts" so that can't be it either.

Any ideas, suggestions or whatnots?  Would appreciate the input.

PTOM

(I'm from the Esophageal Forum but feel I have more in common with the Neck/Throat Forum.  Because I have Squamous Cell Carcinoma located near my trachea, I don't seem to fit into the Barrett's/Lower Esophageus/Stomach profile).

Comments

• debbiejeanne
    debbiejeanne Member Posts: 3,102 Member
    Options
    hi, ptom, and welcome.  we're

hi, ptom, and welcome.  we're glad to have you join our family!  my last rad tx was 10/22/09.  then 2/28/12 i had a total laryngectomy and neck dissection for recurrence of larynx cancer.  i've had my esophagus stretched many times since rads.  i still have trouble swallowing today, food and pills.  i currently need to have it stretched again but have decided to wait until the swallowing gets worse.  when i have it stretched now it usually only lasts for a month or two and then needs done again.  my neck feels tight but i dont' think that is from rads, i think that is from the surgery.  what tx did you have, when did you have it, what type of cancer did you have?  someone here may have had the same type of cancer and can give you some suggestions.  again, welcome, and i hope you will hang around.

God bless,

dj

• KB56
    KB56 Member Posts: 318 Member
    Options
    Esophageal Stretch

PTOM, my wife is a nurse at a gastrointestinal group and they do these stretches all the time, very routine procedure.   I don't think it's infrequent to have multiple over the course of years as I know my mother in law has had it done a few times over the years.   I think what you are experiencing is exactly what she experiences and the stretching definitey helps.

Keith