Neck stiffness

Options

Hello everyone.

Has anyone experience neck stiffness with muscles being very tight like beef jerky?  Any advise or solution to the cure or management?

Thanks.

PM

Comments

• wmc
    wmc Member Posts: 1,804
    Options
    Me too

Sorry I can't help. Mine is getting to hurt more and more. I'm hopping it is the weather but I don't think so. Neck feels like the skin streached on a bongo drumb, and the side neck mucles just hurt as well. Hope yours does get better.

wmc  10/2013

• jackflash22
    jackflash22 Member Posts: 524 Member
    Options
    Neck stiffness

After neck dissection my neck was wooden and very stiff. It's now 10 months after surgery and it's still numb but I can turn my head so the stiffness has gone but I still feel wooden and when I lie in my bed at night I feel like I'm being strangled. Alls well in the daytime because I'm moving my neck. I've got used to it now and don't think about it. Do neck exercises every day. It gradually gets less stiff as time goes by, it's another bug to bear from neck surgery.

• fishmanpa
    fishmanpa Member Posts: 1,227 Member
    Options
    Yep...

One year out and neck stiffness is chronic. Some days better, some days worse. My Doc felt it and it's a side effect from rads. Only thing you can do are stretching exercises. I suppose there's always PT to help too.

Positive thoughts and prayers

"T"

• Guzzle
    Guzzle Member Posts: 710
    Options
    fishmanpa said:

Yep...

One year out and neck stiffness is chronic. Some days better, some days worse. My Doc felt it and it's a side effect from rads. Only thing you can do are stretching exercises. I suppose there's always PT to help too.

Positive thoughts and prayers

"T"

PT

Keep active and keep with physio. IM o

nly week 3 treatment and had neck dissection about 7 weeks ago but have no stiffness only a bit numb. I suppose I do have more rads to come though. Hope it gets better. G.

• KB56
    KB56 Member Posts: 318 Member
    Options
    neck tightness

Purple Mountain, I think that is something we all experience due to the radiation (as I did not have a neck dissection).    Some have recommended massages, and trying to stretch it definitely helps.  My has that "wooden" feeling (i actually think that's the word my ENT used when she does the exam now) and it seems to be getting a little better but still much different feeling on the side that received all the radiation.  Sometimes I get like a spasm (sp?) in that side if I yawn or stretch it and I usually rub it to make it stop.

Keith

• phrannie51
    phrannie51 Member Posts: 4,716
    Options
    I have a little stiffness...

now, but nothing like you're describing.  I had it in my jaw, too, right after treatment.  I did LOTS of stretching of both.....neck....side to side, and hold at each side....forward and back, and hold.....then I'd roll my head in both directions like 3 times slowly.  These are used in yoga to loosen things up.

I get the charlie horses every once in a while.....they'll take your breath away, but then they're gone.

p

• debbiejeanne
    debbiejeanne Member Posts: 3,102 Member
    Options
    pm, i had neck dissection

pm, i had neck dissection 2/28/12 and my neck is still very stiff today.  i cannot turn it all the way to the sides, i have to turn my whole body.  if you find something that helps, please share.  praying for you.

dj

• Purplemountain
    Purplemountain Member Posts: 119
    Options
    Neck stiffness management

Hello everyone.

Thank you so much for the inputs.  At least I don't feel "abnormal" since everyone is going through neck stiffness.  I did not have dissection so it must have been the radiation to my neck.  It feels very deep achey and sore along with the "wooden" stiffness that is being described.  Yes, stretching and moving the neck about seems to help but very slow process...I guess I'm impatience.  I've tried 1/2 hour massage (deep) every other day where it gets to the muscle knots...very painful but the more I can bare it, the looser it gets. 

I will update how the stretching and massage go with the neck stiffness.

PM

• Hondo
    Hondo Member Posts: 6,636 Member
    Options

Neck stiffness management

Hello everyone.

Thank you so much for the inputs.  At least I don't feel "abnormal" since everyone is going through neck stiffness.  I did not have dissection so it must have been the radiation to my neck.  It feels very deep achey and sore along with the "wooden" stiffness that is being described.  Yes, stretching and moving the neck about seems to help but very slow process...I guess I'm impatience.  I've tried 1/2 hour massage (deep) every other day where it gets to the muscle knots...very painful but the more I can bare it, the looser it gets. 

I will update how the stretching and massage go with the neck stiffness.

PM

Hi PM

It goes with the treatment but you can overcome it by stretching exercises like T said. Get with your doctor and ask them to set you up with a therapist who will show you just what you need to be doing every day.   Set up a time each day and do the exercises it will keep your neck from getting stiff; you might need to do the same with your jaw don't wait till you can't open you mouth, that is what happend to me and it sucks. Hope it all going well for you.

Tim Hondo

• dunedintech
    dunedintech Member Posts: 90
    Options
    Pilates

I have found Pilates to be a great help post neck dissection / radio. The stretching not only helped the shoulder / neck but also the neuropathy which was in my legs and arms post chemo. 

CPC

• FRONT AND CENTER
    FRONT AND CENTER Member Posts: 29
    Options
    Stretches and Massage

Hey....I feel pretty stiff in my neck after Neck dissection six months ago but I get regular shoulder, neck and upper back massages at chair massage guy in the mall!  He's got some strong thumbs to find the knots and roll them out.  It's painful but does wonders. 

Don't have to go the painful route, deep tissue massage helps too!

Like others, do the neck massages prescribed by doc and PT.

Good luck!

• Duggie88
    Duggie88 Member Posts: 760 Member
    Options
    PT

I did Physical Therapy 3 times a week for about 6 or 7 months for both my neck edema and muscle damage in my left shoulder. You do have to find one certified and my hospital 74 miles away from home did find me soeone locally to perform the PT. It definatley did the trick in finding my abi-normal. I still do neck exercises while sitting on the sofa watching the tube.

Jeff

• Guzzle
    Guzzle Member Posts: 710
    Options
    Duggie88 said:

PT

I did Physical Therapy 3 times a week for about 6 or 7 months for both my neck edema and muscle damage in my left shoulder. You do have to find one certified and my hospital 74 miles away from home did find me soeone locally to perform the PT. It definatley did the trick in finding my abi-normal. I still do neck exercises while sitting on the sofa watching the tube.

Jeff

Tube

Jeff should that be drinking a tube mate? (tin if beer!)

• donfoo
    donfoo Member Posts: 1,771 Member
    Options
    rad scarring

I had no surgery only rads that created thickening in my neck on the side of the rads. When I tilt my neck back there is a bulge and it is definately more dense on that side. I would not call it woody, just like a hardening of that area. I always twist and massage it and that fixes me up. I'm just a year post and it is hardly noticable.

• mJack
    mJack Member Posts: 2
    Options
    neck pain

Neck stiffness can occur during no proper rest, continues neck moment, stress, tension etc. These are few reason of neck stiffness but these can be treated naturally without the help of medicine. For this one need to get treatment from some experienced chiroprator. Chiropractic  treatment is based on spinal manipulation.

Neck pain treatment Centreville, VA

• Purplemountain
    Purplemountain Member Posts: 119
    Options
    mJack said:

neck pain

Neck stiffness can occur during no proper rest, continues neck moment, stress, tension etc. These are few reason of neck stiffness but these can be treated naturally without the help of medicine. For this one need to get treatment from some experienced chiroprator. Chiropractic  treatment is based on spinal manipulation.

Neck pain treatment Centreville, VA

Thank you for the

Thank you for the suggestion.  However, that is quite far from where I am in California.

PM

• mJack
    mJack Member Posts: 2
    Options

Thank you for the

Thank you for the suggestion.  However, that is quite far from where I am in California.

PM

Your welcome.

Your welcome.