Newbie and saying Hello

Options

I just joined and wanted to say HELLO. I was diagnoised April 2nd with Colon Cancer. I have had surgery to remove the tumor, and surgery to place my port. Im still in shock somewhat. Just thought I would check this out and see if I could find some new friends that know and understand what Im going through. Smile

Comments

• Trubrit
    Trubrit Member Posts: 5,796 Member
    Options
    Welcome and sorry

Its no fun having to join a forum like this, but seeing you have the cancer, there is no better place to find support, information, comfort, a place to vent, rejoice (yes, there will be times of rejocing, though it may not feel like it right now), cry. 

Its been very quiet here this weekend, but I'm sure others will be popping in to welcome you soon. 

You'll end up loving your port. Its a real blessing in the long run. 

You can ask any questions here, all those 'nasty' things that people don't like to talk about, we talk about here. No embarrasment, leave it at the door. Nothing better discussed than the shape and frequency of our bowel movements, or how sore our bums get. 

No really, come to us with any question or concern, you'll find someone who can answer you and put your mind at east. 

When do you start chemo and what cocktail will you be on? 

Post often, you'll not regret it. 

• Lisa2012
    Lisa2012 Member Posts: 142
    Options
    Welcome!

As you have heard, we are sorry for your need to be here, but you have come to the right place.  It takes a while to learn to navigate the cancer journey, but this board is full of knowledgeable travelers.

you will love your port, it make chemo easier.  I hope your recovery from surgery has been going well.   As you post, it is helpful to either give a few details or at least put them in your info page.   You can find out about us by clicking on our names next to our posts.

stay Positive, this is doable.

Lisa

• carrieh
    carrieh Member Posts: 146 Member
    Options
    Hi

Hi,

This is a great place to find answers, support, and friends. I was just like you two years ago. Completly in shock and not sure what to do. If you have any questions, you will most definately get them answered here. Just post a thread on the topic and give it a day or two. I'm sorry you have to go through cancer. Keep us updated on how you're doing.

Carrie and Kiddos

• annalexandria
    annalexandria Member Posts: 2,571 Member
    Options
    Welcome to the forum!

I'm very sorry you have to join us, but now that you're here, I hope we can provide you with some support.  It's a tough road to walk, but can be made a little easier by having some companions on the way.

Keep us posted on how you're doing!

Hugs~AA

• marbleotis
    marbleotis Member Posts: 720 Member
    Options
    Welcome

Welcome to a safe place.  I am a cc stage 3b/signet cell at 2.5 years NED (No evidence of disease).  I had the right hemi-coloctomy, then the 12 rounds of 5FU and Oxi. 

This forum is a wonderful place for kinship, info, venting and just about help on anything.

Please keep posting!Cool

• danker
    danker Member Posts: 1,276 Member
    Options

Welcome!! It may be a bumpy ride,but it is doable.  I have been NED(no evidence of disease) for the last 4 yrs.  Am about to have my (probably) last colonoscopy.  Just take it a day at a time, realizing that you would not regognize the good days if you didn't have some bad ones to compare them to. LOL  Good luck to you!!!!!

• Trubrit
    Options
    Getting better

I was just reading your 'page' and how you don't feel the port is your friend... yet. 

The day I realized the port was my friend, was the day I watched several nurses try to find a vein in a patient for over half and hour. Oh my word! I felt every stick for her. 

Once the swelling subsides. Once you can lift your arm. Once you get used to the 'alien' inside you, and you go in and they just pop that needle (never once hurt me) into the port, I know you will start to accept it as your friend.

I do so hope that you come join us here. We have allot to offer, and pretty soon, you will have allot to offer other newbies. 

Good luck with your first Chemo. 

• Helen321
    Helen321 Member Posts: 1,459 Member
    Options
    Hi. I was stage III also.

Hi. I was stage III also. Have been NED for a year. The first few weeks are a roller coaster of emotions but once you realize things are treatable and so many people live many many years it becomes better. The port was a great idea because otherwise you would have horrible pains in your arms. I forget I even have mine. It comes out in July.  Do your best to get through the first few weeks. Helen

• annalexandria
    annalexandria Member Posts: 2,571 Member
    Options
    Helen321 said:

Hi. I was stage III also.

Hi. I was stage III also. Have been NED for a year. The first few weeks are a roller coaster of emotions but once you realize things are treatable and so many people live many many years it becomes better. The port was a great idea because otherwise you would have horrible pains in your arms. I forget I even have mine. It comes out in July.  Do your best to get through the first few weeks. Helen

The chemo drugs

can also destroy the small veins in the arm over time.  The port is weird at first, but a lifesaver once you get used to it.

BTW, if it hurts to have it accessed, have them rx you some lidocaine.  It's a numbing ointment, and if you slather some on an hour before being accessed, it really helps.

• Lisa2012
    Lisa2012 Member Posts: 142
    Options
    Thanks

I see you added some detail to your page , thanks it helps to know a bit about each other. I am happy for you that you have your sister by your side, caregivers are so important.

• schnauzerheads
    schnauzerheads Member Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    Hey Newbie

I remember very well being a Newbie... Anything I can do or any time you need to talk, I'm here.. message me if you'd like contact info.  Hang in there, don't be afraid to reach out to as many people and physicians and do as much research as you feel necessary as far as diet, exercise, support.... Ask questions!  The port will be a huge help.. my biggest piece of advice for chemo, take some chewing gum!  I always chewed it when the infusion started and it really helped with taste.  Emotionally, it's quite a ride, but stay positive and think forward that you're going to win this.

I wanna be chatting with you in 20 years, so get in there and kick some butt.  :-)

Kevin

• CammieS
    CammieS Member Posts: 43
    Options
    Hello

I'm a newbie, too. Rather than being the person with cancer, I'm his wife.

I'm hoping to get insight into how he's feeling throughout treatment and ideas for both of us to make things better. He's still being tested -- all we know for certain is that he has colon cancer.

I've been accompanying him to every appointment and test so far. We are a team, and there's an underlying fear with everything right now. I just hope that these next tests (tomorrow) answer everything necessary to figure out next steps.

• Trubrit
    Options
    CammieS said:

Hello

I'm a newbie, too. Rather than being the person with cancer, I'm his wife.

I'm hoping to get insight into how he's feeling throughout treatment and ideas for both of us to make things better. He's still being tested -- all we know for certain is that he has colon cancer.

I've been accompanying him to every appointment and test so far. We are a team, and there's an underlying fear with everything right now. I just hope that these next tests (tomorrow) answer everything necessary to figure out next steps.

Welcome, Cammie

Why don't you start a new thread and introduce yourself and tell us what all you and your husband have experienced so far. 

You will find many here are caregivers, and their knowlege is going to help you and your husband so much. And of course we are here too, us patients, and we will help too.