Need information my dad has cancer

Sno2005
Sno2005 Member Posts: 5

Hey everyone,

i need help my dad has a rare diseSe called puertz jegher sydrone. he had surgery to take out polyps in September. While theybwere in there they found a cancerous polyp at the start of the intestine were Ur stomach and Inotes fine meet. It was stage three the do. Was 95% sure he got all of it out. They then started him on chemo in January of this year 2014. He had 2 treatmnets where he went to the hospital for a day they put a bag of chemo stuff in him the. Took pills for 12 days. That made him have extreme diaherra so they had to stop that. He then had 2 more treatments of a different kind of mixture which maxe him get sores in his month. He got what they thought was a herneation on his stomach where his belly button is. They operated on it today 4/29/14 and the doc thinks it's cancer 95% sure it is he could not get all of it out because they could not leave a void in his stomach. So now they are waiting to get the result of it was. Do u guys know does this mean chemo is not working? Does this mean he is going to keep having cancer? i don't want my dad to die pls help

Comments

• Trubrit
    Trubrit Member Posts: 5,796 Member
    New name

I have not heard of this particular cancer, but there are so many out there. 

I am sorry that your dad is fighting this battle, and hope that his Doctor's can find a chemo regime that works for him. 

As a caring daughter, I hope that you can keep a steady head, as this will help your dad out emotionally. Learning all you can about his cancer is a big help. Coming here is a great move, as there are many here with all kinds of colorectal cancers in all stages. 

I can't answer your question about the possibliitiy of your dad having more cancer, so if you are able to go with him to one of his Doctor's visit, go armed with tons of questions and be sure to write down all information given him. 

Mouth sores were a problem for me, and what helped the most was a mixture of warm water, salt and baking soda. So simple yet so effective. 

I'm sure others will be along soon to help you as they can.

• Annabelle41415
    Annabelle41415 Member Posts: 6,742 Member
    Sorry

So sorry that your dad is going through this along with you trying to get answers.  We are a great forum with lots of help, but unfortunately, I've not heard of this cancer.  I'm hoping that someone else can chime in to see if they can help.  We will be here to help you and your dad get through this if we can. 

Kim

• lp1964
    lp1964 Member Posts: 1,239 Member
    Dear Friend,

Thank you for being there for your father in such a difficult time. By the information you are giving it is hard to know what's going on with your dad.  Let us know the name of the chemo, then we can tell you what's normal and what to expect. Are you in the United States?

Laz

• Lovekitties
    Lovekitties Member Posts: 3,364 Member
    Hi

Puertz jegher sydrone is itself not a type of cancer, but can cause a person to be at higher risk for cancer.

If the stomach tissue removed is determined to be cancer, the type of chemo he was on was not able to stop the growth of those particular cancer cells..  That does not mean there are not other chemo options which may work.

Can you give us a general idea of where your father lives?  It may help others to be able to offer some suggestions.

Anyone who has been diagnosed with cancer can certainly get it again.  There are no guarantees.

The best information regarding your father's status will come from his doctors.

Wishing best outcome for your dad.

Marie who loves kitties

• carrieh
    carrieh Member Posts: 146 Member
    lp1964 said:

Dear Friend,

Thank you for being there for your father in such a difficult time. By the information you are giving it is hard to know what's going on with your dad.  Let us know the name of the chemo, then we can tell you what's normal and what to expect. Are you in the United States?

Laz

I also havent' heard of this cancer but do as much research as you can. Keep a notebook with you to write down questions for the doctor. There are NO stupid questions. Ask his oncologist every single thing you have on your mind. The baking soda, salt, and warm water thing really does help mouth sores. The best thing to do right now is just be there for your dad, ask questions, and do as much research from reputible sources as you can. Try looking on the American Cancer Society, National Cancer Institute, and even sites like Web Md can have great explanations of certain illnesses. Keep us updated,

Carrie

• Sno2005
    lp1964 said:

Dear Friend,

Laz

Yes i am in the US. my dad

Yes i am in the US. my dad lives in upstate NY they going the cancer center in syracuse ny. and they have him on 5 Fu. they are trying different mixtures of it

• Trubrit
    Trubrit Member Posts: 5,796 Member
    Sno2005 said:

Yes i am in the US. my dad

Yes i am in the US. my dad lives in upstate NY they going the cancer center in syracuse ny. and they have him on 5 Fu. they are trying different mixtures of it

I was on 5FU

Many of us here have been on the 5FU, and I'm thinking the pills could have been Xeloda, does that sound familiar?

This is standard treatment for Colorectal cancre, but of course, if these don't work, they have an arsenal of other drugs that may prove effective. 

The chronic diarrhea is a common problem too. My friend is on the Xeloda pills, and they've dropped the dose twice now to help eliviate the diarrhea problem. You will find that the Doctor's keep a good eye on things like that, as they don't want him getting dehydrated.

I hope someone goes in with your dad to his appointments. Two sets of ears are better than one, and a notebook dedicated to his cancer is a must. I found that it was beyond helpful to write EVERYTHING down in my notebook, even the little things that may not have been related to the cancer. I write in it several times a day, how I'm feeling, what questions I want to ask, I personally keep a record of my vitals (blood pressure, temp, heart rate) every day too. Nothing gets left out of my notebook. 

You really have hit the jackpot coming here to the forums. You will not want for information, just ask, or read back on other threads. We are a happy people, although sadness touches us often, when beloved members pass away. But you'll not find us depressing of frightening. 

My thoughts are with your dad, you and your family. 

• Sno2005

Hi

Puertz jegher sydrone is itself not a type of cancer, but can cause a person to be at higher risk for cancer.

If the stomach tissue removed is determined to be cancer, the type of chemo he was on was not able to stop the growth of those particular cancer cells..  That does not mean there are not other chemo options which may work.

Can you give us a general idea of where your father lives?  It may help others to be able to offer some suggestions.

Anyone who has been diagnosed with cancer can certainly get it again.  There are no guarantees.

The best information regarding your father's status will come from his doctors.

Wishing best outcome for your dad.

Marie who loves kitties

Thank you. My dad lives in

Thank you. My dad lives in Upstate ny they are going to Syracuse NY.

• annalexandria
    annalexandria Member Posts: 2,571 Member
    Hi there, and welcome to the forum.

Would it be possible for your dad to get a 2nd opinion?  When you're dealing with a complex situation like his, its best to get a few more sets of eyes on the case, imo.  Since he's in NY, he might be able to access one of the top cancer centers, like Sloan-Kettering.

They may confirm he's on the right tx track, or they might come up with some completely different ideas to try.  Either way, you and your dad can feel like you've covered all the possibilities.

I'm really sorry you guys have to go through this.  It's so hard on everyone involved.

Hugs to you both~AA

• Lisa2012
    Lisa2012 Member Posts: 142
    Deep breath...

Welcome.  Cancer can be very scary and I sense that you may feel overwhelmed.  Take a deep breath, let it out and try to relax.  I agree with all of the comments so far.  Mouth sores and diarrhea are very common side effects and they can make your father miserable.  I know the mouth sores and nose sores were terrible for me.  I found that Lidocaine helped because it would numb my mouth and let me relax for a bit.  

i hope your Dad is feeling okay as he recovers from this surgery.

lisa

• carrieh
    carrieh Member Posts: 146 Member
    Lisa2012 said:

Deep breath...

Welcome.  Cancer can be very scary and I sense that you may feel overwhelmed.  Take a deep breath, let it out and try to relax.  I agree with all of the comments so far.  Mouth sores and diarrhea are very common side effects and they can make your father miserable.  I know the mouth sores and nose sores were terrible for me.  I found that Lidocaine helped because it would numb my mouth and let me relax for a bit.  

i hope your Dad is feeling okay as he recovers from this surgery.

lisa

5FU is do-able. It can

5FU is do-able. It can definately cause some mouth sores, tummy issues, and fatigue but I thought it was one of the least "harsh" chemo treatments I went through. I'm sure everyone's body reacts differently though. Some people get through one thing just fine, while anothr person will have serious issues with it. Cancer these days is not an automatic death sentence. I try to think of myself as living with cancer, not dying of it...but you'll find what works for you and your dad. It takes time to take in all of the shocking news, learn about the disease, and figure out how you want to handle it...I wish you the best and hope your father is doing well.

Carrie and Kiddos