Learned another lesson today - don't talk to the radiation techs

toddi1973
toddi1973 Member Posts: 41 Member

Good evening all,

first of all, let me apologize for being mostly a lurker and much less of an active participant in this board. I want to also thank all of you for being an infinite source of information and an inspiration for me on my journey.

After my stage 2 diagnosis, the following surgeries, chemo and some more surgeries two years ago, I was PET scanned and sent off as "NED".

Went to do my 3 months to half-yearly CEA scans ever since and felt great with my j-pouch, enjoying Version 2.0 of being alive.

6 weeks ago, CEA stayed low but the liver values AST and ALT came back elevated. So Onc ordered PET/CT scan and the insurance denied it. Approved CT scan. CT scan showed 'a mass' behind the bladder where there should be none. Insurance approved PET/CT scan. 

After the scan I talk to the technician and he tells me about a lit up area that he can see but only one and it's probably in a good spot for surgery and yadi yadi yadi. At this point I had already tuned out and all the memories came back and hit me like a bunch bricks. Of course, the Onc is on vacation and couldn't see me for 2 weeks.

Needless to say the last two weeks were quite horrible. I caught myself with thoughts that still scare me for thinking them.

Today I finally get to  see the Oncologist. He tells me "Your liver valus are still a little high but the PET/CT is clear. Still no signs of recurrence".

So I tell him about the comment that the tech made and what a wreck I was in the lst two weeks, wondering what the tech had seen and what my next steps would be.

Apparently my bladder filled with the radioactive sugar was what the tech had seen...

The moral of the story is that I for myself will from now on after every scan just get up and go. Don't even want to talk to techs anymore. 

"Yay" for continuation of NED

Wishing you all the best possible results too !!!!

Toddi

p.s. the mass from the CT scan didn't light up and is probably scar tissue.

Comments

• Trubrit
    Trubrit Member Posts: 5,796 Member
    Hello lurker

I'm glad you are here posting and not lurking today. 

I am also glad that your scare is over. I guess you had to go through it, even if it was only to learn something. 

Its quite sobering when you start to feel comfortable only to get knocked back off your feet. I'm glad yours was a quick knock back, and now you jump right back up and get on with life. 

Continue being NED, and come share some words of wisdom with us every now and again. 

• sdp
    sdp Member Posts: 181
    Knowledge of the radiation tech !

Seriously, the radiation tech couldn't understand that the bladder lights up in pet-ct ?

this is really odd - any tech with any training or education at all would know that. 

This is alarming that such persons are hired to man such important machines and perhaps even give a report - what institution is this ? Is it a regular hospital or some off by clinic ? 

If u were you I would take it up with the hospital authorities and probably ur oncologist should about the experience and education of personnel at the facility - speaks a lot about wht kind of care u may get in other departments.

• annalexandria
    annalexandria Member Posts: 2,571 Member
    Thanks for sharing this story!

That's really important for people to know.  I had a similar situation once...after a CT scan, the tech was giving me sad looks and shaking his head.  He didn't say much, but his overall demeanor was upsetting.  I mentioned this to one of my nurses, who told me that I wasn't the first person to bring this up.  And oddly enough, I never saw him again, even tho I was spending a lot of my time in radiology.  Hmm...

Techs really need to stick to the job, and not try to take the place of the experts.

Really glad there was no recurrence!  Congrats!

• carrieh
    carrieh Member Posts: 146 Member

Thanks for sharing this story!

That's really important for people to know.  I had a similar situation once...after a CT scan, the tech was giving me sad looks and shaking his head.  He didn't say much, but his overall demeanor was upsetting.  I mentioned this to one of my nurses, who told me that I wasn't the first person to bring this up.  And oddly enough, I never saw him again, even tho I was spending a lot of my time in radiology.  Hmm...

Techs really need to stick to the job, and not try to take the place of the experts.

Really glad there was no recurrence!  Congrats!

I Did Something Like That Last Week

That's scary. I just went through something like that. My doctor wanted to "see me" to give me the results of my CT Scan. Well, I know what that means...bad news. I couldn't wait until the next day, went to the hospital, got my report, and reviewed it myself. Nodes on the lungs, one had grown...likely cancer had spread. I cried, freaked out, didn't sleep...the next morning, I realized after talking with my doctor that it could be benign, scarring, or yes...cancer...but even if it is...I'm not going to die tommorrow. I can fight it. This was yet another lesson about not freaking out before you have all of the facts, for me. Biopsy soon. So thanks for sharing your story. Maybe we all do stuff like this, huh?

Carrie

• carrieh
    carrieh Member Posts: 146 Member
    carrieh said:

I Did Something Like That Last Week

That's scary. I just went through something like that. My doctor wanted to "see me" to give me the results of my CT Scan. Well, I know what that means...bad news. I couldn't wait until the next day, went to the hospital, got my report, and reviewed it myself. Nodes on the lungs, one had grown...likely cancer had spread. I cried, freaked out, didn't sleep...the next morning, I realized after talking with my doctor that it could be benign, scarring, or yes...cancer...but even if it is...I'm not going to die tommorrow. I can fight it. This was yet another lesson about not freaking out before you have all of the facts, for me. Biopsy soon. So thanks for sharing your story. Maybe we all do stuff like this, huh?

Carrie

That's a great picture BTW 

That's a great picture BTWLaughing 

• tanstaafl
    tanstaafl Member Posts: 1,313 Member
    radiologist's report?

To me the real problem is that your scan center didn't give the written radiologist's report for you to see within, say 24-36 hrs.  Then you would be in a position to ask for outside opinions, sooner if necessary. 

• Helen321
    Helen321 Member Posts: 1,459 Member
    Lol To that hello lurker

Lol To that hello lurker comment above. You can be a member of the CIA. Cancer invasion annihalated.  So incredibly glad it was nothing. Those weeks of pure worry are the worst. I'm glad you got through it and all was good. Now you have to do two weeks of pure happiness to make up to yourself.